• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't really want McLaren I wonder if the seemingly excessive vitriol against his being a candidate has more to do with the embarassment factor than his actual ability to do the job. It was similar last year when Sven was linked with the job. There is clearly a massive cringe factor attached to his performance with England, his faux-Dutch accent and his audacity to use an umbrella in the rain, but he has certainly won more silverware as a manager than Owen Coyle, David Moyes, Wayne Hughes and Roberto Martinez put together.

Just sayin'.

Mate he won the league cup with Boro, which blues won this year and got relegated....does that make Mcleish a better manager than all of them?

He got to the UEFA final by luck more than judgement, wasn't he 4 goals down in both quarter and semi final and threw on all his forwards for defenders and they won? hardly takes a genius tactician to employ those tactics does it..

He won the Dutch league...woohoo, sign him up!

he had a 38% win ratio at Boro & a 23% win ratio at Wolfsburg, now that is impressive!

So yes he has won more than the others, but is that the reason you would like to see him come to Villa? Sorry just noticed you said wouldn't mind him at Villa*

how about this line from wiki...

During a 0–4 defeat at home to Aston Villa, a Middlesbrough fan ran onto the pitch and threw his season ticket at McClaren signifying his disgust at the club's performances.

i think that would be happening a lot if he becomes the next manager...

McLaren is definitely not my choice, largely because of the clear instability the appointment it would cause.

My point is though that people say no to McLaren because he is a dickhead - fair enough - and it would be an embarassment because of the negative attitudes towards him - but in footballing terms his record is relatively good, in comparison to the likes of Martinez & Coyle, who are wanted by some despite having achieved very little.

McClaren did an average job at Boro, awful job with England, excellent job with Twente and awful job at Wolfsberg. Hence not good enough.

Hughes did an excellent job with Wales, excellent job with Blackburn, average job at Citeh, good job with Fulham. Hence worth a shot.

Coyle and done excellent jobs at Burnley and Bolton, but im not sure he's ready yet.

Moyes has done a good job at Preston and an excellent job with Everton. I would love him here, i just dont think it will happen.

Martinez has done good enough with Swansea and Wigan, but its way to soon at the moment.

Benitez is most experienced, but i feel Fergie has cracked him.

So Hughes or Moyes for me.

As stated previously, Moyes is the one for me but the vitriol about McClaren is a little unfair imo

Mate he won the league cup with Boro, which blues won this year and got relegated....does that make Mcleish a better manager than all of them?...

He got to the UEFA final by luck more than judgement, wasn't he 4 goals down in both quarter and semi final and threw on all his forwards for defenders and they won? hardly takes a genius tactician to employ those tactics does it..

It was nearly ten years ago, some teams actually tried in the league back then. Boro getting to the final of the UEFA Cup was an achievement no matter how you want to downplay it, good teams were actually still trying in that competition too back then

McClaren did an average job at Boro,

He is Boro's most successful manager

With a team, Twente, who had never won the league before, beating both Ajax and PSV who were challenging hard at the end of the season and he did it without massive resources. It hardly warrants the woohoo, it was quite the achievement

During a 0–4 defeat at home to Aston Villa, a Middlesbrough fan ran onto the pitch and threw his season ticket at McClaren signifying his disgust at the club's performances.

You get the odd knobhead at every club, I'll stress again, he's their most successful manager ever. I remember the odd fan moaning about Ron Saunders.

Sure he didn't have the best of times at Wolfsburg, Roy Hodgson didn't have the best of times at Liverpool. Not every manager does great at every club but I'm fairly sure most West Brom fans don't care about Hodgson's form at Liverpool now.

Whilst not my choice, I do think McClaren gets a bad press because he was once in the poisoned chalice of the England job and some Dutch TV interview where he was found trying to fit in a little too much, oh yes and he uses an umbrella. His actual Club record isn't too shabby at all considering the teams he's managed.

McClaren did an average job at Boro, awful job with England, excellent job with Twente and awful job at Wolfsberg. Hence not good enough.

Hughes did an excellent job with Wales, excellent job with Blackburn, average job at Citeh, good job with Fulham. Hence worth a shot.

Coyle and done excellent jobs at Burnley and Bolton, but im not sure he's ready yet.

Moyes has done a good job at Preston and an excellent job with Everton. I would love him here, i just dont think it will happen.

Martinez has done good enough with Swansea and Wigan, but its way to soon at the moment.

Pretty good analysis there I reckon.

For me McLaren is a Blues, Baggies, Wolves, Wigan level manager, ie a manager who you would think was doing well to get them to mid-table. He's not a top half manager and definately not a top 6 manager. I would also put Martinez and Coyle in this bracket.

We need a manager who has acheived or has the real potential to acheive a top 4 finish, which imo leaves us with FSW, Moyes, Hughes (?) or Lotti.

Moyes would be my vote as I think he can steady the ship without causing major disputes within the playing staff.

He did alight in the cups, but his league form was average at best with the amount of money they were spending, usually buying our players. 12th, 11th, 11th, 7th and 14th is average spending the money they did then.

i was just about to start replying to a few posts, but read this.....pretty much sums it up perfectly for me.

He did alight in the cups, but his league form was average at best with the amount of money they were spending, usually buying our players. 12th, 11th, 11th, 7th and 14th is average spending the money they did then.

Sorry Oaks, but pinching another one of yours....summing it up perfectly yet again! :lol:

i really hope we can look forward to the success of finishing 12th, 11th, 11th, 7th and 14th!

Maybe we should go for Avram Grant, he's won much more than any of them....he is actually Hapoel Tel Aviv's most successful manager!

:winkold:

i really hope we can look forward to the success of finishing 12th, 11th, 11th, 7th and 14th!

Maybe we should go for Avram Grant, he's won much more than any of them....he is actually Hapoel Tel Aviv's most successful manager!

:winkold:

It's very difficult to know who will be a success isn't it? Many people want a manager that has won plenty of honours, but that brings no guarantees... look at Houllier. Ron Saunders on the other hand had won next to nothing before coming to Villa.

To be honest if McClaren had just won the title with Twente maybe he might have been worth a shout, but he failed at Wolfsberg so he needs a West Ham/Wigan/west Brom type team again.

Why Would Anyone Want The Villa Job?

With the pushing of Gerrard Houllier out the door on medical grounds, a new broom is required at Villa Park for what must be one of the least inspiring positions in the Premiership.

Since winning the old European Cup - a truly fantastic achievement it must be said - Villa have continued to underwhelm with the only the odd glimmer of hope during the periods of Graham Taylor, David Platt and Tony Daley and the early days of John Gregory. Martin O'Neil was supposedly their own much cliched Messiah but even he could not muster a finish above sixth place and one must wonder what any manager taking the job can hope to achieve despite their tradition, excellent stadium and both loyal and large fan base.

The top six places next season would look fairly clear cut with the twin clubs from Manchester, both of North Londons' finest and both Liverpool and Chelsea. Despite much wailing and gnashing of teeth from those from the second city, ninth place was achieved in the Premiership by Villa this season. Assuming the prediction on the top six is correct, that means that any prospective candidate can only hope to achieve an improvement of two places before hitting their glass ceiling.

Randy Lerner is by all accounts a decent Chairman, he is also no fool and he knows that even an investment of 50-100 million would do little to guarantee a top four finish. That being the case then why even bother trying? Steady Champions League revenues have meant that it is essentially a closed shop save for the odd slip up from Liverpool and now the entry of Manchester City with their oil rich benefactors.

Mark Hughes is touted as a preferred candidate and a good one he would be. One would wonder however why Hughes would risk his reputation further after his misguided acceptance of the City job. With Fulham decent results are seen as a positive and an enhancement to his credentials, he also has the Europa League to look forward to and the hope of one of the big guns swooping should he do well. At Villa he can realistically achieve little that they have not done in the past few seasons and the truth is he can only either maintain the status quo or disappoint, it is a highly unattractive job.

For Allardyce at West Ham, the only way is up, Hodgson took on a relegation threatened West Brom and saved them whilst Dalglish replaced him at Anfield and took on a fallen and wounded club that he can resurrect. The Chelsea job will presumably come with a hefty cheque book and for whomever is fool hardy enough to take over from Ferguson, well it is still ManYoo after all.

For anyone taking over at Villa Park however one would surely have to ask 'why?'

http://bit.ly/kk0a7S

What a strange article. All clubs have goals and visions they want to attain, and I don't for a second doubt that a potential manager would love to try and bet what we achieved under MON. Is the guy really saying that WHU and WBA would be less of a 'why' than Villa?

Steve McClaren is NOT the leading contender for #avfc job. See today's Birmingham Mail for full story

Just logged in to post that too.

@MatKendrick

Mat Kendrick

Steve McClaren is NOT the leading contender for #avfc job. See today's Birmingham Mail for full story

Tease...the selling of newspaper business I guess

As stated previously, Moyes is the one for me but the vitriol about McClaren is a little unfair imo

Mate he won the league cup with Boro, which blues won this year and got relegated....does that make Mcleish a better manager than all of them?...

It was nearly ten years ago, some teams actually tried in the league back then. Boro getting to the final of the UEFA Cup was an achievement no matter how you want to downplay it, good teams were actually still trying in that competition too back then

With a team, Twente, who had never won the league before, beating both Ajax and PSV who were challenging hard at the end of the season and he did it without massive resources. It hardly warrants the woohoo, it was quite the achievement

You get the odd knobhead at every club, I'll stress again, he's their most successful manager ever. I remember the odd fan moaning about Ron Saunders.

Sure he didn't have the best of times at Wolfsburg, Roy Hodgson didn't have the best of times at Liverpool. Not every manager does great at every club but I'm fairly sure most West Brom fans don't care about Hodgson's form at Liverpool now.

Whilst not my choice, I do think McClaren gets a bad press because he was once in the poisoned chalice of the England job and some Dutch TV interview where he was found trying to fit in a little too much, oh yes and he uses an umbrella. His actual Club record isn't too shabby at all considering the teams he's managed.

This.

McClaren is not the anit-christ like some are reacting.

Whoever it is, they need to be backed, the abuse Houllier got before he even set foot in VP was an embarrassment.

We should be showing how we support whoever is in charge and give them a fair crack.

The internet seems to be making our fans act like plonkers more and more these days.