Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

If I had gone to a different school, how would my life have ended up.

Counting up those karma moments are always fun.

Like the time a mate of mine walked into a pub and asked me who the girl was, I was sitting next to.

I said I had no idea but I ended up talking to the girl and she became my first missus.

The rest is misery, as they say.

The guy was called Ken and I have never forgiven him.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Like the time a mate of mine walked into a pub and asked me who the girl was, I sitting next to.

I said I had no idea but I ended up talking to the girl and she became my first missus.

I did something similar to my best mate. 

We were at a party, it was noisy and dark, he was pretty shortsighted, and he had taken his glasses off - his reasoning being (and I quote): "Because it makes me more attractive to women - and has the added benefit of making women more attractive to me". 

Anyway, at some point he walked up to me and said: "That girl I've been talking to - she sounds nice, but what does she look like? I can't see a damn thing". 

Now as it happened, she was a stunner. And it did cross my mind to say: "Nah mate, she's a dog, give it a miss", just to be evil, like. That's what mates are for, after all.  :)

But I didn't. I told him she was a cracker and that he should get in there. 

Which he did - and they are still married (fairly happily, I think) 32 years later. 

I did subsequently tell him about my passing mischievous thought, and we still occasionally speculate about how things might have turned out differently... 

• Like 1

I think school is better in hindsight.  Certainly the case for me.

I liked school. 

At school I got praise and encouragement, which is more than I ever got at home.

I got that at home as well (more so than at school, TBH). A good lesson in parenting, for anybody thinking of having kids. 

Like the time a mate of mine walked into a pub and asked me who the girl was, I sitting next to.

I did something similar to my best mate. 

We were at a party, it was noisy and dark, he was pretty shortsighted, and he had taken his glasses off - his reasoning being (and I quote): "Because it makes me more attractive to women - and has the added benefit of making women more attractive to me". 

Anyway, at some point he walked up to me and said: "That girl I've been talking to - she sounds nice, but what does she look like? I can't see a damn thing". 

Now as it happened, she was a stunner. And it did cross my mind to say: "Nah mate, she's a dog, give it a miss", just to be evil, like. That's what mates are for, after all.  :)

But I didn't. I told him she was a cracker and that he should get in there. 

Which he did - and they are still married (fairly happily, I think) 32 years later. 

I did subsequently tell him about my passing mischievous thought, and we still occasionally speculate about how things might have turned out differently... 

You are a saint Mooney.

My mates would have told me she was a cracker and then told me that I shouldn't bother because she was out of my league. :(

I liked school. 

At school I got praise and encouragement, which is more than I ever got at home.

I got that at home as well (more so than at school, TBH). A good lesson in parenting, for anybody thinking of having kids. 

Some parents are too mean-spirited to give what they never had themselves and rationalise that into a belief that praise is bad for children.

As the man wrote......you end up like a dog that's been beat too much, until you spend half your life just covering up......

I had a good time at school. I wasn't particularly naughty but I was a bit cheeky and back chatty. The teachers gave me a free ride because I was good at my work. Especially History and French. 

Then one day on the eve of my French GCSE my teacher rang me up and said I'd be taking the lower-set French exam because of my behaviour during the year. I was on for an A* in French but now I could only get a C. I'd met my Dad (a fluent French speaker) everyday for two weeks, in his lunch break to practice and revise. I was gutted. It made that last 6 month period in year 11 a bit cack. 

Definitely.  When I look back I always think "why did I ever let XYZ bother me?".

Precisely this.  Sensitive little cretin, former me was.

I liked school. 

Some parents are too mean-spirited to give what they never had themselves and rationalise that into a belief that praise is bad for children.

As the man wrote......you end up like a dog that's been beat too much, until you spend half your life just covering up......

I find most parents these days seem to be incredibly blinkered towards their kids and won't blame them for anything.  Most kids these days are undisciplined spoilt brats.

I had a good time at school. I wasn't particularly naughty but I was a bit cheeky and back chatty. The teachers gave me a free ride because I was good at my work. Especially History and French.

Then one day on the eve of my French GCSE my teacher rang me up and said I'd be taking the lower-set French exam because of my behaviour during the year. I was on for an A* in French but now I could only get a C. I'd met my Dad (a fluent French speaker) everyday for two weeks, in his lunch break to practice and revise. I was gutted. It made that last 6 month period in year 11 a bit cack.

You should have extracted revenge and told the authorities that your French teacher touched you during a detention once.

If only you knew then what you know now, huh?

Definitely.  When I look back I always think "why did I ever let XYZ bother me?".

All my memories of school are happy but the down side to that was that I was totally oblivious as to how important it all was or the implications for my future.

There is a lot to be said for a crap education where the school's aspirations for the pupils are not too challenging but only at the time.

I have a similar one.... at a mates birthday party when I was 16. 

I was chatting to two girls I'd met the week before.... I fancied them both but ended up picking the future Mrs E and we've been together ever since. The other girl is now our vet. Wonder what life would have been like the other way round? 

I **** loved school, I had some great times, badly behaved yes, but more Fenn Street Gang (ask your dad) than dealing crack. My home life was pretty shitty so happy to be at school. Came away with good grades, worked on the premise of doing just enough, didnt do a single second of revision and came away with some great memories and 7 o'levels.

I was chatting to two girls I'd met the week before.... I fancied them both but ended up picking the future Mrs E and we've been together ever since. The other girl is now our vet. Wonder what life would have been like the other way round? 

Possibly more arse fingering.

• Like 2

You would spend most evenings wondering where your wife's hand had been that day.

• Like 1

Possibly more arse fingering.

But on the other hand, possibly less arse fingering?

PiU9EPAyBQW.png

Dont see how anyone can say school was worse then being a grown up.

No responsibilities, loads of holidays, home by 4pm everyday, lots of laughs with mates.

Being a grown up sucks. Give me school over work any day. Unless you have a job you enjoy (not many do) and earn lots of money (even few do) then their is no way being a grown up with responsibility is better then being at school.

Â