Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The night sky is literally riddled with stuff. We just can't see most of it. Its not bright enough to be seen with the naked eye because it's so far away. If you go to dark places, you'll see more, because there's less light interference, but you still won't see the sheer amount of stuff out there.

I'm fortunate to spend a bit of time in New Mexico during the summers up at the Santa Fe Opera about 8,000 feet above sea level.

The building is on a reservation on top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere. There's so little light pollution that you can see the milky way with your naked eye and it's spell binding. Sort of unnerving too because we are sooooo insignificant but it's a wild feeling. Makes me think about all of the civilizations around the planet before electricity who were able to gaze up and see that. I wonder how it informed their sense of place in all of this.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Why are British dramas by and large really depressing? People with just miserable lives, having terrible luck, making bad choices in shitty situations.

Then crime dramas are always absolutely horrific! Even the hero is always completely flawed and lives is squalor i.e. Luther I'm not saying everything should be Disney+ but I watched some of "Happy Valley" the other day and good lord those folks are miserable.

I simply cannot understand why anyone watches Eastenders. Even the music has me sprinting across the room for the TV remote. 

Any who the fook would want to spend their Christmas day watching some cockney family having the worst Christmas imaginable.  

It's a horrendous bit of TV. 

5 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Back to the stars thing.....

We have one star (The Sun) that is reasonably large to the naked eye.  

Every other star (regardless of brightness) is tiny.  

Why isn't there a star that looks half the size of the sun?  Or a quarter of the size of the sun? 

Is it coincidence or is it physically impossible for stars to co- exist in close enough proximity? 

Because they'd be far too close together and would inevtably be brought together by Gravity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I'm fortunate to spend a bit of time in New Mexico during the summers up at the Santa Fe Opera about 8,000 feet above sea level.

The building is on a reservation on top of a hill, in the middle of nowhere. There's so little light pollution that you can see the milky way with your naked eye and it's spell binding. Sort of unnerving too because we are sooooo insignificant but it's a wild feeling. Makes me think about all of the civilizations around the planet before electricity who were able to gaze up and see that. I wonder how it informed their sense of place in all of this.

I saw the milky way for the first time in Wales last year, thought it was a small cloud over the stars, it was a clear night, one of the lads I was with pointed out it was the milky way,  I was dumbstruck by it and the star covered sky. ( Clear sky's in Wales is amazing enough) 

• Like 2

When people are going to stop going on about Gresford. 

If he doesn't play, forty comments. 

If he does play, 100 comments. 

People don't seem to realise he doesn't play for us, and he's not coming back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

I think its called the Bellingham effect. Mate.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Only time I ever see people going on about him is when you have a moan in here about them going on about him

You are part of the problem and not the solution :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Villa fans taking an interest in players at other clubs is ok, and healthy, even when that interest is in Judas shit hair kiddy shinpad diving words removed older than their IQ who broke our hearts and will never succeed again so help me McGrath

7 hours ago, bickster said:

Only time I ever see people going on about him is when you have a moan in here about them going on about him

You are past of the problem and not the solution :D

spacer.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, blandy said:

One of my most abiding memories, and considering I was well lubricated I'm amazed I can remember it at all, is being in an open air nightclub in Barbados at something like 3 in the morning when there was a sudden power cut on the island. The sky was cloudless and the stars were mind blowing. With absolutely no light pollution the sky seemed to be more filled with stars than not, it was genuinely awe inspiring and humbling and beautiful. But to sort of stay on the theme, they were all different sizes. None massive, but I guess all the smaller, feinter, ones would just never normally be visible.

Always look up.

Yes, I remember as a child camping in Devon. I woke in the middle of the night and went outside and looked up. 

I'm assuming it was a new moon and crystal clear night but the milky way was clear and as you say there seemed to be as much sky containing star light as darkness. 

You can see why the ancients were so affected by the stars. They would have seen those kind of skies regularly. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

The Milky Way is a tease for the most part in much of the World. Look at it and you don't see it.

The centre of your visual field has the colour sensitive cones, it's the concentration of light sensitive rods in peripheral vision that pick up stars.

Look straight up on a clear night in the sticks, so you can't see surface lights but your field of vision is mostly sky and it's easyish to see the dense cloud of stars.

Your instinct then is to look straight at it to pick out detail, when you do it disappears. It's quite frustrating  :)

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, tinker said:

Jools Holland...........wheres the youth? The BBC is embarrassing. 

It's not a show for the yoot. 

They're all watching tickity tockety shite anyway 

Edited by sidcow

38 minutes ago, tinker said:

Jools Holland...........wheres the youth? The BBC is embarrassing. 

Apart from Andy Fairweather Low, they're all WAY too modern for me. 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Jools Holland......

Shite and has been for years

1 hour ago, tinker said:

wheres the youth? The BBC is embarrassing. 

If my daughter is anything to go by, watching Eurovision Dude's show on BBC One

Been binging loads of Roger Cook stuff on YouTube. Some of it is very good and funny.

But in this one he goes "undercover" as a drug smuggler looking to launder money (it's about 13 mins in), and he talks like a current affairs journalist and looks like... Roger Cook.

How did he get away with it? At one point the man says he doesn't want to know where the money's come from, and Cook says, "the money is from DRUGS". It's so unintentionally hilarious.

Were some of his hits just complete nonsense? Like Fake Sheikh level stitch ups? Or was he legit?

Â