dudevillaisnice

They scored early, then just sat everyone back behind the ball and played their usual lump it forward game. We had 70% possession but we just couldn't break them down. None of our big players showed up. We had 21 shots, most of which ended up blocked or in he crowd behind the goal. Probably would of been a different game had he not dropped it (as it was a lot more open before the goal).

Arteta had 10 less successful passes in the game than their entire team put together!

As I read somewhere else, it's a sad indictment of a team when your playmaker is your goalkeeper...

Pretty much sums it up.

They scored early, then just sat everyone back behind the ball and played their usual lump it forward game. We had 70% possession but we just couldn't break them down. None of our big players showed up. We had 21 shots, most of which ended up blocked or in he crowd behind the goal. Probably would of been a different game had he not dropped it (as it was a lot more open before the goal).

Arteta had 10 less successful passes in the game than their entire team put together!

As I read somewhere else, it's a sad indictment of a team when your playmaker is your goalkeeper...

Pretty much sums it up.

Arsene Wenger?

I thought Arteta looked very average, but I did only see highlights, and I guess first game of the season it's to be expected of sorts.

As I said..."none of our big players turned up"...yet he still had only 10 less successful passes than the ENTIRE Blackburn team...

Disappointing draw and Rodwell benched. :shock:

What's going on there?

He was also on the bench for the first game. It's called competition for places :winkold:

With an almost fully fit squad, we have lots of options. For CM any of Arteta, Cahill, Fellaini, Heitinga, Rodwell, Osman, or if needed, Pienaar can play. We can't play them all so rotation is needed. Rodwell will almost certainly play tomorrow, if he impresses, he could stay in for Sunday.

Again, we dominated them first half, didn't create enough with the ball and when we did we didn't take our chances. Ref was absolutely disgraceful (if you've seen the goal, you will know). They came out second half and scrapped more and worked harder, and fouled us leaving a man down as they bombed forward 3 on 2 and scored. That gave them confidence and after that, they came at us but didn't really create anything other than Jarvis putting in a dangerous ball that probably would of been tapped in if Distin didn't do a great block.

Disappointing? Definitely but it's not the end of the world just yet. We're just trying to play to pretty and score perfect goals right now, we need to improve there. Both teams we have played, they have basically had 1 shot and scored in both games and both goals were individual mistakes (Howard and Saha) added to the fact Heitinga was fouled. Cut them out and things could be a lot different cos defence looks solid otherwise.

That all being said, not looking forward to Sunday... :?

Ref was absolutely disgraceful (if you've seen the goal, you will know).

I saw that challenge and it was no worse than the tackles Fellaini constantly commits. It that's a foul then Fellaini should get a red every game.

I saw that challenge and it was no worse than the tackles Fellaini constantly commits. It that's a foul then Fellaini should get a red every game.

Er, I meant our goal... :? If you think the ref was right there then you're on your own cos I don't know one person who agreed with it!

I am not getting into a Fellaini debate again on here.

Ah thought Rodwell started at Blackburn. Thought he would be starting considering he had a good pre season.

For England's sake he better play more this season, I don't think I can stand another major tournament with Barry as the holding CM. :lol:

Er, I meant our goal... :? If you think the ref was right there then you're on your own cos I don't know one person who agreed with it!

I am not getting into a Fellaini debate again on here.

what happened for your goal, ive seen the "foul" in the run up to their goal and think you were unlucky but can see why it wasnt given.

what happened for your goal, ive seen the "foul" in the run up to their goal and think you were unlucky but can see why it wasnt given.

Arteta was fouled like, a yard inside the box (infact he never left the penalty area on that play) the ref blew and then hesitated and gave us a free kick on the edge of the box, at which point everyone is really confused.

Anyway, so we take the free kick and it is blocked but stays in the danger area at which point Jody Craddock is going to clear, Tim Cahill sorta kicks him and steals the ball and scored. That was 2 big mistakes right there.

I think the ref was gonna book Arteta for diving, then he changed his mind and gave a foul but bottled the penalty call.

If you look carefully on this picture, you can see the line of the edge of the area, they are way inside, how he decided it was a free kick I will never know.. :?

article-0-0ADFAFE0000005DC-279_224x423.jpg

I hate referee's and their weird idea that the rules of football change once the ball is in the area. How many pointless free kicks are given a game in the middle of the pitch for literally nothing more than a player getting themselves into trouble, before throwing themselves to the floor knowing the ref will give them a free kick.

Ref's need to man up and either play 'Penalty box rules' everywhere, leading to about 5 fouls a game and making the game flow much better; OR start dishing out 6 penalties a game to both sides playing 'Shitty running next to someone is a foul' rules.

----

I think Everton may give us a bit of a kicking at VP actually. If Gabby isn't fit, can't see us having a sniff.

Maybe someone could clear this up for me, when the ball is running out of play for a goal kick, the defender physically holds the attacker off the ball until it crosses the line, he makes no attempt at all play the ball. Surely this is a foul? They are never given, I just don't understand it.

Â