Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Yeah fair points. And it's the manager's prerogative at the end of the day to decide between the 2 approaches. You could argue both sides equally validly (as we have). The one thing you might expect is that your potent weapon not demand talks where he gives the impression he has a divine right to start over 2 guys who had done what GA & CB had done 5 days earlier. It's not great in a squad that's looking to be pulling in the same direction.

I have a feeling Lambert has a lot in common with MON in this respect; he picks the team, its his call and that's all there is to it. If a player doesnt tow the line, they have a black mark put against their name and its harder for them to get back in the good books - especially if they then go crying to the media. We saw it with Reo-Coker and no doubt we will see it with Bent. I don't think Bent has covered himself in glory most times he's played so far this season, but he's coming back from a long lay off, and wants to get back intot eh England squad. He was given the captaincy at the start of the season (wrong choice in my opinion, it should have been Big Ron all along) and with that comes expectations.

I don't think he should start every game as we need to alter the tactics to give the opposition a game. Whats worse is that something just doesnt feel right with Bent in a Paul Lambert team. He just doesnt fit in with the high tempo style we are now playing where everyone gives 110% and gets stuck in in all areas of the pitch; Bent is not right for a team like us starting from scratch after having its heart ripped out of it for going on 3 years, but a finishing touch to a team who already have strong wing players and quality players to provide a strong supply line. I think he'll go next summer, I always wondered why Arsenal didnt come in for him, he'd be able to ponce around the 18 yard box all he liked and just convert the shedload of chances that came his way.

Yeah fair points. And it's the manager's prerogative at the end of the day to decide between the 2 approaches. You could argue both sides equally validly (as we have). The one thing you might expect is that your potent weapon not demand talks where he gives the impression he has a divine right to start over 2 guys who had done what GA & CB had done 5 days earlier. It's not great in a squad that's looking to be pulling in the same direction.

No, sure. I actually don't think that Bent has said anything particularly outrageous, but it would be better if he hadn't. He's clearly annoyed though and I can see why. I'm pretty annoyed myself.

Ahh god, whats this numpty whinging about? You havent played that well Darren where as the other two had a storming game up at the etihad. Thats why you didnt start. You came on, you did your job and you answered being dropped in the right way. Dont spoil it by being an arse.

Fair enough bent scored at Southampton but what gives him the right to question the managers decisions? Grow up Darren you diva. Just be happy you've scored in 2 games in a row now so keep proving why you should start ahead of Benteke!

I think dropping Bent has been the first time I've been annoyed by anything that Lambert has done. I'd have personally played Bent alongside Gabby and had Benteke on the bench, or played Bent and Benteke with gabby in Albrighton's place.

Having said that, we are still very much in early transition and Lambert is trying lots of different things and really mixing it up. I think his approach will pay off in the long run. I think that if Lambert's life depended on winning that game, Bent would probably have been the first name on the teamsheet.

He does need to manage Bent carefully tho IMO as Bent needs to be confident and feel wanted. It is a team game, but Bent's position and strengths require him to be selfish. I think we're really lucky to have a natural goalscorer as good as Bent and are a much better team for having him in our side.

Lambert is the manager and Bent needs to stop moaning to the press. If he wants to complain then he should do it behind closed doors by taking it directly to Lambert. It doesn't do any good making it public...

On the whole situation, I actually think Lambert was right not to start Bent. Gabby and Benteke had a really good game against Man City in the cup and it would have been unfair to drop them. Therefore Lambert decided to give them a go. When he realised Benteke wasn't cutting it he put Bent on, which was once again the right choice. His other substitutions were also spot on against West Brom in my opinion. I can't for the life of me understand why people are getting on Lambert's back because he didn't pick Bent.

Bent isn't bigger than the club and he shouldn't be guaranteed a starting role every game. He has to earn in and it's not like he's been banging them in for us. Yes, he scored against Southampton and he is our best finisher, yet he should have to look over his shoulder at the competition. Lambert has sent a message to him and hopefully he'll be having a few words with Bent over this to put him back in his place.

It's nice to have some decent competition upfront and Bent needs to realise that this is a team game. On the captaincy issue I think Lambert got that spot on too. Bent simply isn't captain material, whereas Vlaar quite clearly is...

well he has gone down in my estimations, why thefuck does he need to spout off to the press saying that Lambert didnt speak to him and he didnt like finding out that way that he'd been benched...

grow the **** up Darren

dya think Rooney would complain like that if Fergie dropped him for ONE game?

would he ****

he was dropped for ONE **** game and he acts as if he has been mistreated

tosser

I can't imagine Lambert hasn't conveyed to all the players that starting places are earned and lost in training and in matches...Bent spoke loudest with his goal on Sunday, and should have left it at that. If he got left out the NEXT game, then I could see why he'd have a problem. Of course now he might get left out because he's gone yapping to the press.

Benteke also missed a few against City. You should always play your best players if fit IMHO

And then take em off if they aren't doing the business. No complaint then

Really?

I assume you are talking about a one off game here but surely you would start your form players, but maybe im wrong.

The rest of the time being able to successfully use your squad marks out the better managers.

Â