Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

What price a goal?  In a system that suits him and 5 years ago with Young and Downing on the flanks and Carew up front next to him he would be a monster.

We dont have that now.

So he is not worth much to us.

I'd actually argue that not playing him has helped his value.  Here's why.

He has a huge reputation for being a goalscorer,  he still has that.  Thanks largely to not playing much last season.  If he had played 20 or so games ,  not scored many then we would be finding it harder to shift him than we are now

The system, yes, the system that let us finish 5th last season.. uhm I mean 15th last season. The system that let in 69 goals at the back, our worst record in decades. And we scored a measly 47 goals on top of that, which is even "less" when you think of the risks we must have taken given all the goals and chances against. Instead of hacking Darren Bent for not fitting into a system, I would argue that the system was the problem itself last season and I hope to see a huge improvement in 2013/2014. The naivety with 3-5-2 and the stubbornness when we let in 15 goals in three matches were sackable offences.

He still has a reputation for being a goalscorer because he didn't get to play much? I beg to differ, goals like the one he got against Wigan are typical Darren Bent. When he finally got to start a game he thrived on it, and I am sure he would have put lots more in if he had started a game once in a while. 10-15 minutes at the end of a game does not give him much confidence.

What price a goal?  In a system that suits him and 5 years ago with Young and Downing on the flanks and Carew up front next to him he would be a monster.

We dont have that now.

He has a huge reputation for being a goalscorer,  he still has that.  Thanks largely to not playing much last season.  If he had played 20 or so games ,  not scored many then we would be finding it harder to shift him than we are now

The system, yes, the system that let us finish 5th last season.. uhm I mean 15th last season. The system that let in 69 goals at the back, our worst record in decades. And we scored a measly 47 goals on top of that, which is even "less" when you think of the risks we must have taken given all the goals and chances against. Instead of hacking Darren Bent for not fitting into a system, I would argue that the system was the problem itself last season and I hope to see a huge improvement in 2013/2014. The naivety with 3-5-2 and the stubbornness when we let in 15 goals in three matches were sackable offences.

He still has a reputation for being a goalscorer because he didn't get to play much? I beg to differ, goals like the one he got against Wigan are typical Darren Bent. When he finally got to start a game he thrived on it, and I am sure he would have put lots more in if he had started a game once in a while. 10-15 minutes at the end of a game does not give him much confidence.

Case in point in the Wigan game. He got the goal, well taken and fair play.

Did **** all the rest of the game.

We dont have that now.

Case in point in the Wigan game. He got the goal, well taken and fair play.

Did **** all the rest of the game.

So does your opinion that he did nothing all game apart from score mean you would rather not have had the point he helped us earn?

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

So we should have used a system based on Bent getting service from the wings - presumably we should have bought Young and Downing back from United and Liverpool to do so? You are aware we sold them, right?

Can't remember but before Bent have we had a player who scored on his debut and his last game for the club.

Edit: just thought about it and it was Downing.

Downings debut was as a sub against Burnley. His first goal was v Portsmouth a few games after that. Your right that he did score in his last game though.

He played in 23 games last season.

Its unfair to judge Bent playing in two systems which didn't suit him and better to judge him on the system that did.  

I think that's a fair comment, but I think that it's also not fair to judge him against the player he was a couple of years ago, nobody really knows what he brings now.

It's also unfair to judge an unfit Darren Bent.

The point is Bent scores goals. Was he even match fit in that last game of the season against Wigan? I suggest definitely not. He still scored though didn't he? Same against West Brom when he came off the bench to equalise.

The facts prove undeniably that a fit DB bangs them in for fun.

The fact is though that we haven't seem a fit DB banging them in for two years and he's almost thirty. That's why he isn't more expensive - no-one is really sure if he'll ever get back to his peak, whether he'll ever be that nailed on goalscorer again. Which means that even for teams that are prepared to play to his strengths, he's by no means a sure thing.

He might bang in thirty for Fulham in the coming season, it's possible, they've got players who could work with him and he has the potential to work well in their team, but I just don't see it happening.

• Like 1

I hope this link to Fulham is correct as we really do need to get that AM in.

Also, when was the last time that Darren Bent was truly match fit?

I say that because given regular starts he will surely start banging the goals in left, right & centre providing ofcourse that the chances are being created for him by the rest of the team.

Also, what would really be ironic is if Fulham adopt a similar system to Paul Lambert ie 4 2 1 3 & DB still starts knocking them in for fun.

Work that one out?

Â