Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

On the subject of Moyes... you can't be too bad a manager if Sir Taggart rates you.

And managers can change their style of play. Look at how le Arse play now (and win **** all) compared to how Wenger had the team of Viera, Henry, Petit, Bergkamp etc. playing (and won loads). They played a far more physical style.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of Moyes... you can't be too bad a manager if Sir Taggart rates you.

And managers can change their style of play. Look at how le Arse play now (and win **** all) compared to how Wenger had the team of Viera, Henry, Petit, Bergkamp etc. playing (and won loads). They played a far more physical style.

People need to remember this when thinking about Allardyce.

He's always maintained that he has played direct football because of the resources he's had at his disposal.

He might play more attractive football if given the chance to work with the quality players at Villa.

Just curious here... I see a number of people saying they wouldn't mind Hughes as manager. What do people see in Hughes? His track record is not exactly remarkable.

I disagree. His track record of being a bit of an arse is, indeed, remarkable.

Anyone else having dreams about Mourinho deciding he wants a challenge, for once?

Personally, I like the way the club is trying to head. It's trying to play better football, employ better footballers who are known on the International stage and trying to employ tactics that are more than just 'get it out wide' or 'hoof it up to the striker'.

I have no doubt that Moyes is a good manager, however, I think to appoint him as manager would mean a return to football which wasn't appealing to watch at times. Moyes is equally as frustrating as O'Neill in the transfer market with regards to leaving it late, too. I like the direction the club has tried to move to - and it'd be a shame after the struggle this season to dump it when we've started to make progress. The style of play is also suiting our record signing rather well - I'm unsure whether Bent would be suitable in a 'Moyes' style team.

Martin Jol is available. Though his recent record is a little dodgy which would put me off. Rafa Benitez is desperate to get back into the Premiership too. He's upset Villa fans more than once though, and again, his recent record is hardly great. He has, however, had some fantastic achievments and I don't think our pride as fans should be put in front of the best for the club. Saying that, I know a ssection of fans would never accept him, just as they sadly refused to with Houllier before he'd taken charge of a game.

So where does that leave us? Goodness knows. But I'd like a manager who will try to continue the changes that Houllier has put in place since he joined the club. Another upheavel would mean yet another season is to be written off. O'Neill's departure timing ensured that last season. This season it's different - we know that it's pretty likely that he won't be in charge come next season. This time, we need to be fully prepared so to give whoever is in charge enough time to get pre-season preparations spot on and so we enter the season with half a chance of achieving something.

When O'Neill left, I was critical of the board for not having a football man on it to advise what is essentially a group of businessmen. Perhaps this is the chance to do something about it - with Houllier becoming technical director/advisor and moving forwards this way.

This is a good point and one of the reasons I'd really like to see us try for Deschamps. We need someone that can actually take us on to the next level, not just to where we were under MON. Deschamps took a Marseille team that other managers couldn't take past "serious challenger" and turned them into champions, and he looks like doing it again this year so it's not a one off.

As much as I'd like it, I don't see how Deschamps is a realistic target though - he's now managing a club thats regularly in the Champs League, so he's unlikely to want to test himself at a club like Villa who are still battling for a place in the CL. His stock has risen, and if he were to leave Marseille, it would be for one of the major European clubs (quite possibly Arsenal if Wenger leaves).

People need to remember this when thinking about Allardyce.

He's always maintained that he has played direct football because of the resources he's had at his disposal.

He might play more attractive football if given the chance to work with the quality players at Villa.

Not a chance. The stuff he played at Newcastle was utter dross with the squad below, not a bad set of players.

1 GK Shay Given

2 DF Stephen Carr

3 DF José Enrique Sánchez

4 DF David Rozehnal

5 MF Emre Belözoğlu

6 DF Caçapa

7 MF Joey Barton

8 MF Kieron Dyer

9 FW Obafemi Martins

10 FW Michael Owen

11 MF Damien Duff

13 GK Steve Harper

14 MF Charles N'Zogbia

15 DF Lamine Diatta

15 MF Nolberto Solano

16 MF James Milner

17 FW Alan Smith

19 FW Albert Luque

20 DF Geremi Njitap

21 DF Habib Beye

22 MF Nicky Butt

23 FW Shola Ameobi

25 DF Abdoulaye Faye

26 DF Peter Ramage

27 DF Steven Taylor

30 DF David Edgar

32 DF Paul Huntington

33 DF Celestine Babayaro

34 GK Fraser Forster

35 MF Matty Pattison

35 DF Ben Tozer

36 FW Mark Viduka

37 FW James Troisi

38 MF Kazenga LuaLua

39 FW Andrew Carroll

40 GK Tim Krul

Anyone else having dreams about Mourinho deciding he wants a challenge, for once?

This. If he had any real ambition at all he'd jump at the chance to manage us. Winning something with teams like Chelsea, Inter and Real, considering their players and finances, is peanuts really, any half decent manager will accomplish that. If he truly believes he's 'the special one', why not come here and prove it!?

uncy_chris - Yes, you're probably right and he's certainly a long shot of a target. You never know though, he might fancy the PL at the end of the season. At the end of the day if you don't ask you don't get. I certainly won't be up in arms if we don't get him as I wouldn't expect him to come here.

Also, heard a bit about OM possibly having to sell at least one star player in the summer so he might decide that he can't take them any further and look for a way into the PL, and there might not be a better job available. (Although thinking about it now, I wonder if he could end up at Chelski next season?)

I think we're a bit too far off the mark for Mourinho. He likes his teams to be the underdogs, but not as much as he likes the attention of managing a top 4 club. Madrid, Chelsea and Inter have all been perfect for him - recent underachievers who have the potential for continental success. If he comes back to England, and its not to United, then Chelsea would seem the only possible alternative.

This. If he had any real ambition at all he'd jump at the chance to manage us. Winning something with teams like Chelsea, Inter and Real, considering their players and finances, is peanuts really, any half decent manager will accomplish that. If he truly believes he's 'the special one', why not come here and prove it!?

Not. A. Chance.

Why stop at us? If he really wants to prove he's so great, why not go and take over a non-league team and take them on to win the Champs League.

This just isn't going to happen. It would take him out of the limelight, and if it went wrong it would damage his reputation a hell of a lot. The best managers manage the best clubs. They don't drop down a step or three just for the hell of it.

Agreed. Getting Inter to win their first Champions League title in recent times isnt exactly shirking at a challenge.

A Small part of me fears that he'll end up at Man City. Either way, it wont be us.

Not. A. Chance.

Why stop at us? If he really wants to prove he's so great, why not go and take over a non-league team and take them on to win the Champs League.

This just isn't going to happen. It would take him out of the limelight, and if it went wrong it would damage his reputation a hell of a lot. The best managers manage the best clubs. They don't drop down a step or three just for the hell of it.

I know there isn't a chance in hell he'd come but it would be interesting if he did. But he isn't genuinely interested in proving his worth as he's mostly full of s**t anyways, and only seems to care about being in the limelight and earning astronomical sums of money. Fwiw I don't even rate him that much as a manager and I honestly believe he'd fail miserably, managing anything else than a world class club with infinite resources.

Not. A. Chance.

I know there isn't a chance in hell he'd come but it would be interesting if he did. But he isn't genuinely interested in proving his worth as he's mostly full of s**t anyways, and only seems to care about being in the limelight and earning astronomical sums of money. Fwiw I don't even rate him that much as a manager and I honestly believe he'd fail miserably, managing anything else than a world class club with infinite resources.

This, really. Although his record is pretty astonishing. He went nearly ten years without a home defeat, so as much as you're right about him being full of shit, full of himself, and probably full of greed, he has actually done very well as a manager (of world class clubs with infinite resources!).

Mark Hughes is the likeliest appointment in my mind.

Hope not, hasn't done anything of note in his managerial career except for finishing once in the top six with Blackburn.

If I were Randy he would be far down my list of potential managers.

...I honestly believe he'd fail miserably, managing anything else than a world class club with infinite resources.

There's a particular trophy in the cabinet at the Dragão that says otherwise.

Mark Hughes is the likeliest appointment in my mind.

Hope not, hasn't done anything of note in his managerial career except for finishing once in the top six with Blackburn.

If I were Randy he would be far down my list of potential managers.

Yep. Hopefully very far down, below a dotted line marked "Be SURE you have considered all other possibilities before proceeding."