Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Just curious here... I see a number of people saying they wouldn't mind Hughes as manager. What do people see in Hughes? His track record is not exactly remarkable.

Personally I'm with you on this one, I see nothing on his CV that would make anyone sit up and take notice. Fulham is his level IMO

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hughes over achieved with Wales, overachieved with Blackburn, was doing fine at Man City and is doing well at Fulham. Remarkable? No not really but solid, dependable, capable and not a risk. I can see why to some people all those things would be desirable in our next manager.

First choice: Didier Dechamps - CL final with Monaco, promoted with Juve (granted, the minimum expected) and 3 trophies in 1.5 seasons at Marseille, after 17 (I think) trophyless seasons, plus won everything going as a player so would command respect in that sense, knows the PL, speaks good English and is fairly young for a manager. Would he swap France's biggest club and CL football for the PL though?

Second choice: Villas Boas - I don't actually know a great deal about this guy, but what I've heard sound extremely good. Might be a bit of a gamble to appoint someone with so little experience but sometimes you have to take a risk. Not sure if he'd come to Villa.

Third choice: David Moyes - Taken Everton as far as they can be taken. May have better offers should he leave.

Fourth choice: Owen Coyle - done wonders with Burnley and Bolton. Don't know if he'd leave Bolton for us though.

Don't want - Fat Sam and his over inflated ego, Mark Hughes who hasn't really done anything of note for me or Benitez who is just a complete tool.

First choice: Didier Dechamps - CL final with Monaco, promoted with Juve (granted, the minimum expected) and 3 trophies in 1.5 seasons at Marseille, after 17 (I think) trophyless seasons, plus won everything going as a player so would command respect in that sense, knows the PL, speaks good English and is fairly young for a manager. Would he swap France's biggest club and CL football for the PL though?

Always liked DD is a player and has impressed as a manager, IMO he would leave OM to manage in the Premier League but to us I am not so sure. However if he fancies a challenge??

Always liked DD is a player and has impressed as a manager, IMO he would leave OM to manage in the Premier League but to us I am not so sure. However if he fancies a challenge??

Yeah, for a 'big' PL job I've no doubt he'd leave, but I don't think we're seen as a 'big' job right now. That said, at the end of the season he could well have won two consecutive titles and may just feel there isn't much left to achieve there?

Then again, it would appear he turned down Liverpool last summer and if that's the case then I don't really fancy Villa's chances.

People seem to forget that Moyes still has 2 years to run on a £3million per year contract. Everton would be extremely reluctant to let him go. He would be one of the most expensive managers to try and get.

I'd say telling somebody they couldn't have a job because they were from the wrong country would constitute as racist, im sure as hell thats what the police would be telling me if I turned somebody down for a job because they were foreign.

/exaggerated hypothetical

xenophobic is the word you're looking for :winkold:

Personally, I like the way the club is trying to head. It's trying to play better football, employ better footballers who are known on the International stage and trying to employ tactics that are more than just 'get it out wide' or 'hoof it up to the striker'.

I have no doubt that Moyes is a good manager, however, I think to appoint him as manager would mean a return to football which wasn't appealing to watch at times. Moyes is equally as frustrating as O'Neill in the transfer market with regards to leaving it late, too. I like the direction the club has tried to move to - and it'd be a shame after the struggle this season to dump it when we've started to make progress. The style of play is also suiting our record signing rather well - I'm unsure whether Bent would be suitable in a 'Moyes' style team.

Martin Jol is available. Though his recent record is a little dodgy which would put me off. Rafa Benitez is desperate to get back into the Premiership too. He's upset Villa fans more than once though, and again, his recent record is hardly great. He has, however, had some fantastic achievments and I don't think our pride as fans should be put in front of the best for the club. Saying that, I know a ssection of fans would never accept him, just as they sadly refused to with Houllier before he'd taken charge of a game.

So where does that leave us? Goodness knows. But I'd like a manager who will try to continue the changes that Houllier has put in place since he joined the club. Another upheavel would mean yet another season is to be written off. O'Neill's departure timing ensured that last season. This season it's different - we know that it's pretty likely that he won't be in charge come next season. This time, we need to be fully prepared so to give whoever is in charge enough time to get pre-season preparations spot on and so we enter the season with half a chance of achieving something.

When O'Neill left, I was critical of the board for not having a football man on it to advise what is essentially a group of businessmen. Perhaps this is the chance to do something about it - with Houllier becoming technical director/advisor and moving forwards this way.

People seem to forget that Moyes still has 2 years to run on a £3million per year contract. Everton would be extremely reluctant to let him go. He would be one of the most expensive managers to try and get.

Isn't it 1 year on a £4m contract?

Isn't it 1 year on a £4m contract?

He signed a 5 year contract in October 2008.

Personally, I like the way the club is trying to head. It's trying to play better football, employ better footballers who are known on the International stage and trying to employ tactics that are more than just 'get it out wide' or 'hoof it up to the striker'.

I have no doubt that Moyes is a good manager, however, I think to appoint him as manager would mean a return to football which wasn't appealing to watch at times. Moyes is equally as frustrating as O'Neill in the transfer market with regards to leaving it late, too. I like the direction the club has tried to move to - and it'd be a shame after the struggle this season to dump it when we've started to make progress. The style of play is also suiting our record signing rather well - I'm unsure whether Bent would be suitable in a 'Moyes' style team.

Martin Jol is available. Though his recent record is a little dodgy which would put me off. Rafa Benitez is desperate to get back into the Premiership too. He's upset Villa fans more than once though, and again, his recent record is hardly great. He has, however, had some fantastic achievments and I don't think our pride as fans should be put in front of the best for the club. Saying that, I know a ssection of fans would never accept him, just as they sadly refused to with Houllier before he'd taken charge of a game.

So where does that leave us? Goodness knows. But I'd like a manager who will try to continue the changes that Houllier has put in place since he joined the club. Another upheavel would mean yet another season is to be written off. O'Neill's departure timing ensured that last season. This season it's different - we know that it's pretty likely that he won't be in charge come next season. This time, we need to be fully prepared so to give whoever is in charge enough time to get pre-season preparations spot on and so we enter the season with half a chance of achieving something.

When O'Neill left, I was critical of the board for not having a football man on it to advise what is essentially a group of businessmen. Perhaps this is the chance to do something about it - with Houllier becoming technical director/advisor and moving forwards this way.

This is a good point and one of the reasons I'd really like to see us try for Deschamps. We need someone that can actually take us on to the next level, not just to where we were under MON. Deschamps took a Marseille team that other managers couldn't take past "serious challenger" and turned them into champions, and he looks like doing it again this year so it's not a one off.