Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

The manner in which he left the club, and the timing of it, is nothing short of criminal and i dont understand why he is still hailed as a god by many villa fans when in my opinion he is on a level with Gobby Cabbage and Alpay - he's an absolute word removed.

I'd go as far as saying the manner in which he left the club and his general attitude might seriously affect the thoughts of any chairmen considering him for their clubs. Totally unprofessional, also the manner in which he took most of the 1st team coaching staff with him, showed a complete lack of respect for the club and it's fans. He wanted to inflict the most pain he could. He comes over as a very arrogant, self centred man. He will never manage a club on the scale of Villa again.

Everton if we get Moyes?

Spurs if/when Harry gets the England job?

I don't think either of those clubs would be dumb enough to give him the manager's position.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The manner in which he left the club, and the timing of it, is nothing short of criminal and i dont understand why he is still hailed as a god by many villa fans when in my opinion he is on a level with Gobby Cabbage and Alpay - he's an absolute word removed.

I'd go as far as saying the manner in which he left the club and his general attitude might seriously affect the thoughts of any chairmen considering him for their clubs. Totally unprofessional, also the manner in which he took most of the 1st team coaching staff with him, showed a complete lack of respect for the club and it's fans. He wanted to inflict the most pain he could. He comes over as a very arrogant, self centred man. He will never manage a club on the scale of Villa again.

And there was me thinking nobody actually knew what happened yet... Still, nothing like forming solid opinions on speculation eh?

MON has a track record of success everywhere he's been. There will be plenty of takers for him when he wants to work again.

I base my opinions on the facts. He walked out on the club on the eve of new season taking most of the first team coaching staff with him. Basically dropping the club right in the sh-it. I wouldn't walk out of my job in such a manner, it's unprofessional at whatever level.

I'd much prefer Moyes. Not impressed at all with Hughes.

Why not Capello? I'm sure the FA will be desperate for an easy get out.

Because he can't even speak English and I can't wait to see the back of him.

Yeah because he's been so shit, his record speaks for itself. Another case of players being blameless and its all the managers fault in the World Cup on the back of a media witch hunt led by the delightfully pleasant Oliver Holt.

He's never managed in the Premier League and he hasn't set the world alight as England manager - I mean, he refused to drop Heskey!

Plus he couldn't even top a group containing USA, Algeria and Slovenia (could only draw against USA and Algeria) and then losing 4-1 (our biggest ever World Cup Finals defeat!) against Germany (arguably our biggest rivals!)

Another case of the manager being blameless and it's all the players' fault (a la Houllier at Villa)

If GH moves up (which I hope he does) then we need to find a guy who can work with him! I would prefer a top manager from Europe to send out a signal that we mean business. Would not really like Hughes and Moyes is good, but is he that good? I know everyone says he has had no money, but that is not completely true is it? I mean Fellani 15 mill!

Martin Jol would be my favourite, especially as I would like us to have a Director of Football and he knows how to work with that, Moyes and Hughes don't.

Not that I'd want Capello but take away his poor spell with England, his club record aint too bad. 9 League Titles with 4 different clubs in 2 countries plus a Champions League and various other cups.

I'm not sure about the idea of hiring someone who's been so long at another club and is as associated with that club as Moyes is. Don't doubt his talents as a manager, but would he be good for us?

Well, Houllier and Moyes are really good friends. Before Houllier took the Villa job on, he told Moyes to sign Gueye.

Personally I think there is a world of difference between Moyes calling Houllier and asking for his opinion on a player which is what happened in the case of Gueye and him working under Houllier as a DoF.

They get on well apparently dating back to Houllier's time at Liverpool but I personally can't see Moyes being the sort of manager who would accept anything less than total control of a football club.

He has had total control at Everton for years and I find it highly unlikely he would accept less than that here should he be interested in the role at all.

In addition to this I've seen nothing from Houllier in his time here or from his time at Liverpool that suggests he would make a good DoF. Further, I'm yet to have seen an example of this set up working within British football and remain puzzled as to why people think Houllier would be the man to change that or why Moyes would accept it despite having asked advice on a player.

Moyes has been a good manager, no doubt about that. Teams like Sunderland and Newcastle have far outspent Everton, whilst Everton have consistently outperformed them. But would Moyes be able to do any better than to re-cement us within the top half of the Premiership? I'm not so sure, though this would probably still be a fairly meritable achievement given the outcome of this season.

Well, Houllier and Moyes are really good friends. Before Houllier took the Villa job on, he told Moyes to sign Gueye.

Personally I think there is a world of difference between Moyes calling Houllier and asking for his opinion on a player which is what happened in the case of Gueye and him working under Houllier as a DoF.

They get on well apparently dating back to Houllier's time at Liverpool but I personally can't see Moyes being the sort of manager who would accept anything less than total control of a football club.

He has had total control at Everton for years and I find it highly unlikely he would accept less than that here should he be interested in the role at all.

In addition to this I've seen nothing from Houllier in his time here or from his time at Liverpool that suggests he would make a good DoF. Further, I'm yet to have seen an example of this set up working within British football and remain puzzled as to why people think Houllier would be the man to change that or why Moyes would accept it despite having asked advice on a player.

Agree with most of that. Don't really see the point in a DoF and I definitely don't think that Moyes would like to work under one. I don't think there are that many managers that would.

But I do like the idea of Randy asking GH for an advice about who to replace him if they separate as friends and GH sees that he must step down due to his health conditions, if nothing else. Whatever we might think of him, he knows football. As long as he don't point in the direction of GMac.

Agreed.

Houllier has done the DoF thing in England before. He ended up in the managers seat. And I agree that I see little to dictate him as a good man for the role. He'd perhaps work better in an ambassador role but, frankly, we don't need one.

I see a mention of Jol earlier as a man who has worked under a DoF before. He has, of course, in the Prem even. He didn't like it and it contributed to him getting the shove.

No to any DoF role for me.

And when Houlliers time in the managers seat is done, I'd like to see that be the end of his dealings with Aston Villa.

Moyes has been a good manager, no doubt about that. Teams like Sunderland and Newcastle have far outspent Everton, whilst Everton have consistently outperformed them. But would Moyes be able to do any better than to re-cement us within the top half of the Premiership? I'm not so sure, though this would probably still be a fairly meritable achievement given the outcome of this season.

Fair comment but then you could have said much the same as a Spurs fan ahead of the appointment of Redknapp. I think most believed he would save them from relegation but few believed he would take them into the CL.

I'd much prefer Moyes. Not impressed at all with Hughes.

Why not Capello? I'm sure the FA will be desperate for an easy get out.

Because he can't even speak English and I can't wait to see the back of him.

Yeah because he's been so shit, his record speaks for itself. Another case of players being blameless and its all the managers fault in the World Cup on the back of a media witch hunt led by the delightfully pleasant Oliver Holt.

ooh look TRS-T with his anti foriegners agenda again. You're starting to paint paint a rather unsavoury picture of yourself. I'm with you Houlston Capello has been a superb England manager despite the pathetic showing at the world cup, but with Rooney deciding he couldn't be arsed along with several others going missing totally I can't see how he can be blamed for that. I think if he hadn't learnt a lesson from the world cup then you could lay the blame at him, but he clearly has by the way he's changed the team and expanded his player base in the last year. I think we'll be in a much better position if we stay with him for the European Champs.

As for getting him at Villa I would be ecstatic but really can't see it happening. Surely there would be a queue of top European teams in for his services.

True, wouldnt be fair to write him off without giving him the chance. Would still prefer Coyle, but Moyes would be the only other British manager who I'd like to see appointed.

Moyes or Coyle are the obvious shouts and I'd be happy with either. Lambert looks a superb prospect and destined for a bigger club having done a great job at Norwich and Colchester before that.

It won't take much given the players we have to see us back in amongst the top half dozen clubs in the country. We have underachieved big time this season. Big opportunity for someone to come in and move us up half a dozen places.

I'm confident we'll have learned from the **** up made with the appointment of Houllier and will get things right this time.

As others have said its an exciting summer coming up but that is obviously totally dependent on making the right managerial choice.

I'm confident we'll have learned from the **** up made with the appointment of Houllier and will get things right this time.

As others have said its an exciting summer coming up but that is obviously totally dependent on making the right managerial choice.

I'm far from so sure and as such don't share your confidence at the moment.

Personally I'm dreading this summer.

I'm far from so sure and as such don't share your confidence at the moment.

Personally I'm dreading this summer.

Any particular reason Trent? is it that you worry we'll make the wrong managerial choice again or something else?

He's never managed in the Premier League and he hasn't set the world alight as England manager - I mean, he refused to drop Heskey!

Plus he couldn't even top a group containing USA, Algeria and Slovenia (could only draw against USA and Algeria) and then losing 4-1 (our biggest ever World Cup Finals defeat!) against Germany (arguably our biggest rivals!)

Another case of the manager being blameless and it's all the players' fault (a la Houllier at Villa)

Best win % of any England Manager.

Never said he wasnt partly to blame but you believe he is to blame for Englands poor World Cup. The players totally bottled it.

But no lets get Allardyce a man who has achieved so little in football that Capello could probably use Sams trophy cabinet as storage space for his his own honours. Where his and your reasoning for his long ball is because of the constraints he has had to work with. Which of course is total shit, because Newcastle werent exactly broke and the likes of Coyle at Bolton, Hodgson at the baggies and many others all play decent football with constraints.