Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Benitez would be a real coup if you could get him. You'll struggle to find a more talented manager.

Is Roy Evans a coup as well?

I won't bang that drum anymore though. Last summer, I was told by any number of non-Liverpool fans what a good manager Roy Hodgson was even though I knew he was the wrong man.

Roy Hodgson has proven by taking Fulham from the brink of relegation to a UEFA Cup final and the miracles he has worked with West Brom in such a short time that he is a very good manager - and that is disregarding the successes he has had on foreign shores. He just wasn't a big enough name for Liverpool, and was forced out by the uberspacktards Gerrard and Carragher.

I still think Benitez would be a real coup if you could get him. You'll struggle to find a more talented manager.

Is Roy Evans a coup as well?

I won't bang that drum anymore though. Last summer, I was told by any number of non-Liverpool fans what a good manager Roy Hodgson was even though I knew he was the wrong man.

Roy Hodgson has proven by taking Fulham from the brink of relegation to a UEFA Cup final and the miracles he has worked with West Brom in such a short time that he is a very good manager - and that is disregarding the successes he has had on foreign shores. He just wasn't a big enough name for Liverpool, and was forced out by the uberspacktards Gerrard and Carragher.

You're ill-informed. Gerrard and Carragher approved Roy's appointment from the start and Carragher in particularly backed him right until his position became untenable.

Roy's a good manager if you want somebody to take your relegation-threatened team into mid-table, sure. But that's his limit. The size of his name wasn't the problem.

Hodgson had no chance from the very outset. As soon as the fans knew he'd got the job ahead of Dalglish he was ****.

That also simply isn't true.

Naturally, the fans favoured Dalglish. But mainly, at the time, for non-footballing reasons. Nobody had any idea how well he could perform after all that time out of the game but Liverpool was a basket case last summer. We needed somebody to unify the club - exactly as Kenny has done.

We needed Kenny more as a saviour than manager.

Even though the majority didn't want Roy, I wouldn't say it was because he wasn't Kenny. The majority were also willing to give the guy a chance. It wasn't even the poor results that did for him - it was his reaction to them, he defeatist attitude and tendency to put his foot in it. I can dig out a list of examples if you're interested. It was embarrassing, to be honest. And it made the appalling football impossible to stomach.

But the final straw was when he criticised the fans for the sit-in protest. That's when the "Hodgson for England" chants started. There was no way back from that.

Benitez would be a disaster. We've already had one manager in MON who pissed loads of money away... Benitez, judging by his Liverpool career... would be very similar.

I never understood why Liverpool fans loved Benitez so much, thought he was a complete idiot myself. I think everyone else did... bar Liverpool fans.

So so so negative. Always set out not to lose rather than win. No thanks.

Benitez would be a disaster. We've already had one manager in MON who pissed loads of money away... Benitez, judging by his Liverpool career... would be very similar.

I never understood why Liverpool fans loved Benitez so much, thought he was a complete idiot myself. I think everyone else did... bar Liverpool fans.

I can tell you why if I'm allowed. Don't want to annoy anybody with more Liverpool posts.

I can tell you why if I'm allowed. Don't want to annoy anybody with more Liverpool posts.

704 and counting...

Carry on...

It's easier using a process of elimination:

Sam Allardyce: No freaking way. Taking a backward step from MON's style of play is not the way forward.

Lambert: No PL experience

Coyle: Bolton are still a limited team. I don't see enough in coyle to suggest he can do anything better with a better squad.

Benitez: Hardly setting the world alight lately. I'm not convinced that his troubled time at Liverpool was entirely down to the board.

Houllier with Gmac: A season of upheaval that many attribute to Gmac - enough to rule out this combination for a second season.

Houllier with a new #2: If Houllier was healthy, this would be the pick of the bunch. He's not, so he should go.

That really leaves Moyes, Jol and Hughes. Add Rijkaard to the mix and I'd be satisfied with any of them.....

... with a slight preference for Rijkaard.

I think we should stick with Houllier...until November/December at least and I also think gmac should stay aswell. Its been a long hard season but we have weathered the storm and hopefully now we can crack on and have a propper go next season.

Like i say though, if we are near the bottom of the table around xmas time then they should both go, no excuses.

I really think we cannot risk it with Houllier, seriously we have survived by the skin of our teeth and so has he. After every game with Houllier i'll be thinking will he be admitted to hospital. Its best for all concerned if he takes up a new role or leaves the club.

Carry on...

As an outsider, you only get to hear about so much of what goes on at other clubs, don't you? And what you do get to hear is filtered through the press and Sky Sports - all of whom had it in for Benitez.

• Tactics. Every time Liverpool conceded a goal from a corner (even though it wasn't very often), Andy Gray was all over it decrying zonal marking. To this day, never have I seen a conceded goal blamed on man-to-man marking. Rotation was another one. Rafa was forever lambasted for rotating his players as if he was an idiot. Yet statistically, Fergie rotated even more.

• Spending. It was always the gross that got reported, never the net. Liverpool turned over a shitload of players under Rafa. A lot of money went out and a lot came back in. The net spend was £20m a season - not a huge amount for a club like Liverpool. More than the Mancs (but only because of the Ronaldo sale), considerably less than Chelsea and more than Arsenal (who we out-performed). Remember these were the clubs we were expected to compete with. And remember we were coming from further back when Benitez arrived - he had an entire squad to rebuild

• Signings. Very rarely first choice, very rarely done quickly and the budget changed constantly. Sorry to bring up the Gareth Barry saga again but it's a great example. That summer, Rafa wanted Barry and Robbie Keane. But he only wanted Keane if he already had Barry. I don't know what his vision was but it included either both of them or just Barry. But after months of messing around, Rick Parry bought Keane and then the budget was cut. No money for both. Parry was gone shortly afterwards. So was Keane and the money received for him.

• Brand of football. Benitez's Valencia is proof that he isn't an inherently negative manager. As I see it, he had to make a compromise. Either be Arsene Wenger - build a side that plays pretty football but wins nothing. Or build a squad to compete with the Mancs and Chelsea without their budget. He went for the latter.

Houllier with Gmac: A season of upheaval that many attribute to Gmac
Not really. Most attribute it to GH - but the sole presence of gmac on the bench has allowed him to be used as the latest excuse.

To be honest I just want it sorted out one way or another. If GH goes a new manager will come in and will probably take most of the summer to assess the squad and we may not see many changes. However, if GH stays we could see a massive upheaval of the team as he already knows who he wants to sell and get in as replacements.

I'm excited about this summer regardless of the manager though.

If pushed I would still opt for Moyes solely because he could do great things with our squad and RL's backing plus it's a huge risk for the club to keep GH on and potentially have another season of instability when the General and others have stated that this won't happen again.

I think we should stick with Houllier...until November/December at least and I also think gmac should stay aswell. Its been a long hard season but we have weathered the storm and hopefully now we can crack on and have a propper go next season.

Like i say though, if we are near the bottom of the table around xmas time then they should both go, no excuses.

No. If we're going to stick with Houllier the board need to be 100% sure of this and stick with his throughout the season.