Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Question.

Who you prefer a British manager or a foreign manager? Or do you have no preference?

Also, I'd like to know what people think of the following managers:

Steve McClaren

Sam Allardyce

Alan Curbishley

Mark Hughes

1&4 - Not my choices personally but if they were appointed, I wouldn't be overly fussed.

2 - No, I'd want just about anyone else but him. Why the **** would we go for Allardyce? terrible.

3. Why? of course not.

He did very well indeed at Bolton (promotion, UEFA Cup) and he did well at Blackburn too.

Has recently said he's finding it hard to find work because of the stigma surrounding him and the type of football he "plays" which he feels has been unfairly attached to him by other managers.

Has always said he's played the type of football he has because of the resources at his disposal - could play a more "pleasing" style of football with the quality of players he'd have at Villa...

Did very well at Charlton taking them up, then establishing them in the Prem - look where they are now. Also has Villa connections. Hasn't been given the opportunity to manage at one of the bigger clubs.

Sorry, don't believe it with Allardyce. He could have easily played a lot more attractive football at times but hasn't. His Blackburn team played dire football, where as Mark Hughes a couple years before that played some really nice stuff there. Pederson, Emerton, Dunn, Olsson, Diouf, N'Zonzi, Kalinic etc...hardly bad footballers. There wasn't even much variation, it weren't like he mixed long ball with decent football, like Coyle has tried to achieve, it's just constant long ball. Set-pieces, rely on strong defence.

Curbishley....really? Aston Villa, that's our ambitions, managers like Curbishley, do you not think our ambitions are a little higher than someone who is about as mid table as you get.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Moyes another O'Neill - solid but unspectacular, good on a shoestring, wringing the best out of average players? Has he shown he can step up like 'Arry has?

This is exactly my thoughts on Moyes.

Has he been given the chance to? I think with any manager, you have concerns but could you have not said the same about Redknapp before going to Tottenham, is Redknapp only good at getting best out of average players, can he step up??? well he was given a lot more funds at Spurs and a better squad than wherever he's worked and he did step up. So we'll only know if he's given the chance.

Although they haven't beaten us in the league for a good 4/5 years, every time we play them, they seem to have the best of us performance wise, like earlier in season at VP, we won, despite being camped in our half. Perhaps if Moyes is given those extra funds, along with Houllier, then with that extra quality, the sort of performances Everton put in without results will turn into performance with results with us, because we have the ability to have quality in depth and have more clinical players in the final third.

Is Moyes another O'Neill - solid but unspectacular, good on a shoestring, wringing the best out of average players? Has he shown he can step up like 'Arry has?

I'm struggling to see your point really. You say Harry has 'stepped up' what exactly do you mean by that? As it stands Harry has got Spurs into the CL once as has Moyes now they may have done very differently once they got there but look at the resources available at both clubs both financially and in terms of players.

With the exception of a very fortunate FA Cup win while at Pompy I fail to see how Redknapp has really 'stepped up' or achieved much more the Moyes and has only out performed him since going to Spurs.

I'd be very happy to take Moyes to be honest.

I'm struggling to see your point really. You say Harry has 'stepped up' what exactly do you mean by that?

Harry was long associated with teams at the foot of the table. He is now comfortably holding his own in the top tier. I think most people will associate Moyes with mediocrity which Villa are very familiar with. Can DM take us to the next level? Thats the question.

With the exception of a very fortunate FA Cup win while at Pompy I fail to see how Redknapp has really 'stepped up' or achieved much more the Moyes and has only out performed him since going to Spurs.

Apart from a 1 off season getting into the top 4 Moyes has also achieved nothing apart from constantly finishing in the middle third of the table.

I'm struggling to see your point really. You say Harry has 'stepped up' what exactly do you mean by that?

Harry was long associated with teams at the foot of the table. He is now comfortably holding his own in the top tier. I think most people will associate Moyes with mediocrity which Villa are very familiar with. Can DM take us to the next level? Thats the question.

Apart from a 1 off season getting into the top 4 Moyes has also achieved nothing apart from constantly finishing in the middle third of the table.

Right, so you logic is that Harry spent most his time at the foot of the table but then has a couple of good seasons and thus has stepped up as with Moyes has consistently been in the top 3rd of the division with a lot less resources than most and is therefore average.

I'm sorry but I think this is a load of cobblers as is the claim that Moyes has achieved nothing apart from constantly finishing in the middle 3rd of the table.

It might have escaped your notice but Moyes managed to finish ahead of O'Neill twice during his time here with back to back 5th place finishes.

Can Moyes take us to the next level? Nobody knows that is the answer. There is though as much to suggest that he can as there ever was about Redknapp pre Spurs.

I want a manager with prem experience (probably CL experience too but that isn't important) not sure on Lambert if i'm honest.. a big gamble.

It will be harder to break into top 4.. Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City are all competing for top 4 now.

I'd go for Sven. A list as long as your arm of honours and knows how to do a deal in the transfer market.

He wouldn't be my choice but I rather suspect he might be Randy's, I could certainly live with his appointment and would rather it than a risk like Lambert.

I'd go for Sven. A list as long as your arm of honours and knows how to do a deal in the transfer market.

He wouldn't be my choice but I rather suspect he might be Randy's, I could certainly live with his appointment and would rather it than a risk like Lambert.

I thought Randy and Sven had an argument at his interview

Yeh I'd be happy with Sven. When he was first linked last summer I was one of the (seemingly) few who supported it.

I think his time as England boss damaged his reputation, wrongly imo. He has a very good record at club level.