Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

A similar thing happened in Mons first season if I remember correctly we flirted with relegation and could not find a win but drew about 15 games. Ultimately finishing what 11th? And the league was no where near this tight that year. That was the year Mon got in Ash Carew in Jan and really started to put his own stamp on the team, give Ged the summer and if he hasnt clicked it but early October, ship him on out!
First, I don't think you are remembering quite correctly.

In MON's first season we were unbeaten for the first 9 games - the longest unbeaten run of any premier league team. We were 6th after 9 games. This was with a squad that, apart from the additions of Petrov, Sutton and Agathe, was the same one that had finished 16th and in quite some disarray the season before.

We then went on a poor run and sunk as low as 14th after 25 games, at which stage we were 9 points clear of the relegation zone - the nearest we got to the drop zone.

We then picked things up and got 21 points from our final 13 games, including an unbeaten sequence for the last 9 games, rather neatly matching the start to the season. We finished, as you say, 11th, with 50 points - a total that had only been bettered once by a Villa team in the past 6 seasons.

Now, perhaps you could explain which parts of this season have been "similar" to that?

Secondly, I note you are repeating the idea that we should let Houllier spend all of Randy's money in the summer and then sack him early in the new season if his squad turns out to be no good. I think I have run out of new words to express what a crazy idea that is and how much trouble we would be in if it actually happened.

Houllier has failed very badly this season and in my view has not earned the right to take us into the next one.

Excellent post. Spot on.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A similar thing happened in Mons first season if I remember correctly we flirted with relegation and could not find a win but drew about 15 games. Ultimately finishing what 11th? And the league was no where near this tight that year. That was the year Mon got in Ash Carew in Jan and really started to put his own stamp on the team, give Ged the summer and if he hasnt clicked it but early October, ship him on out!
First, I don't think you are remembering quite correctly.

In MON's first season we were unbeaten for the first 9 games - the longest unbeaten run of any premier league team. We were 6th after 9 games. This was with a squad that, apart from the additions of Petrov, Sutton and Agathe, was the same one that had finished 16th and in quite some disarray the season before.

We then went on a poor run and sunk as low as 14th after 25 games, at which stage we were 9 points clear of the relegation zone - the nearest we got to the drop zone.

We then picked things up and got 21 points from our final 13 games, including an unbeaten sequence for the last 9 games, rather neatly matching the start to the season. We finished, as you say, 11th, with 50 points - a total that had only been bettered once by a Villa team in the past 6 seasons.

Now, perhaps you could explain which parts of this season have been "similar" to that?

Secondly, I note you are repeating the idea that we should let Houllier spend all of Randy's money in the summer and then sack him early in the new season if his squad turns out to be no good. I think I have run out of new words to express what a crazy idea that is and how much trouble we would be in if it actually happened.

Houllier has failed very badly this season and in my view has not earned the right to take us into the next one.

This.

Let's be honest can you really see Houllier here for the long-term i.e. 5 years + - er no.

He only stayed at Lyon for 2 years before needing a break.

You gonna let him spend all our money and then leave for us when he needs a break.

Get a younger manager in.

I wonder if Mourinho would come here.....

I reckon he'd like Randy & the funds he could give him.

But it's just a dream to think that he'd come to a team as small as us (ie. not winning anything for so long = small)

He wants to come back to England...won't want to work for the Russian again....all the other top jobs are safe....that leaves...US. :D

If we beat west ham then it will be seen in my opinion because we will have premier league football next season with 5 games to go.

The mere fact that some of us actually see that as success for this season is evidence in itself of why he should be replaced

This.

Who do you think we are? West Brom? Wolves? Wigan?

You think staying up with 5 games to go is some sort of success for our club?

Ridiculous. Some of us change our expectations and "ambitions" during the campaign. When this season started I was hoping for a place among the top 4. Didn't expect it, but hoped for it. Sad as it is to see 4th as success. Then things went wrong I only hoped that we'd at least stay mid table for this season. Then it got worse and now I only hope for us to survive. Would be pleased and relieved if we do, but wouldn't call it success as I don't think anyone would.

He only stayed at Lyon for 2 years before needing a break.

You gonna let him spend all our money and then leave for us when he needs a break.

Needed a break? Didn't he get a heart attack? I'd say that's quite a good reason to "get a break". I understand those who didn't want him because they were worried about his health and all that, and that is an issue, but you make it sound like he just decided that he could do with a break and weren't forced into it by a life threatening condition.

If we beat west ham then it will be seen in my opinion because we will have premier league football next season with 5 games to go.

The mere fact that some of us actually see that as success for this season is evidence in itself of why he should be replaced

i agree with you richard, i think you are the best poster on this forum

I hope that was sarcasm..

BootLicker.jpg

not at all, i agree with an awful lot of what he says

There was something on PLWorld this morning that said Moyes has always started slowly in his time at Everton and pulled it through at the end of the season. I doubt a slow start at Villa would be received well, after all, Houllier had one and people hate him.

Needed a break? Didn't he get a heart attack? I'd say that's quite a good reason to "get a break". I understand those who didn't want him because they were worried about his health and all that, and that is an issue, but you make it sound like he just decided that he could do with a break and weren't forced into it by a life threatening condition.

1. He didn't ever have a heart attack, he had a "dissection of the aorta", which essentially is a rupture of the artery leading out of the heart, which risks interrupting the supply of blood to the heart and the brain. It is an extremely serious condition with a high mortality rate but, luckily for him, he was treated in time and made a full recovery.

2. The heart incident happened in 2001 when he was at Liverpool, not at Lyon. He made his recovery and came back to manage Liverpool for two seasons before leaving the club after a rather unsuccessful final season.

3. He had a year off before joining Lyon in May 2005. In May 2007 he asked to be released from the final year of his contract with Lyon, saying "I need a break, full stop. I will not go to another club in France and initially not to a foreign club. I am first going to take a holiday. I need a rest." Sometime after that he became technical director of the French FA.

4. It seems unlikely that his need for a rest in 2007 was directly related to the aortic disruption he suffered in 2001.

1. He didn't ever have a heart attack, he had a "dissection of the aorta", which essentially is a rupture of the artery leading out of the heart, which risks interrupting the supply of blood to the heart and the brain. It is an extremely serious condition with a high mortality rate but, luckily for him, he was treated in time and made a full recovery.

2. The heart incident happened in 2001 when he was at Liverpool, not at Lyon. He made his recovery and came back to manage Liverpool for two seasons before leaving the club after a rather unsuccessful final season.

3. He had a year off before joining Lyon in May 2005. In May 2007 he asked to be released from the final year of his contract with Lyon, saying "I need a break, full stop. I will not go to another club in France and initially not to a foreign club. I am first going to take a holiday. I need a rest." Sometime after that he became technical director of the French FA.

4. It seems unlikely that his need for a rest in 2007 was directly related to the aortic disruption he suffered in 2001.

Well, the first point is important but wouldn't change what I said. The other points puts me to shame. thought it was when he was at Lyon, so my bad. Carry on, I'll go and stand in the corner. :oops:

Would he be an Ethan Moore of this forum. A once in a lifetime poster we will never see again :D

Would he be an Ethan Moore of this forum. A once in a lifetime poster we will never see again :D

ethan is 18 years old, he still has time on his side and would, without doubt, walk into our current u18 team