Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

has 'best' got a new meaning these days?

i think you and him are the best and most knowledgeable posters on the forum

I take back the original comment. :lol:

:hooray:

so me and richard on the 'best' list...is best some sort of new word for 'clearing in the woods' :!:

:D

Coyle should be our next manager. Bolton are having a MUCH better season than we are.

*Checks league table*

Oh!

Well, for their aims they are.

Our aims 7th to 4th

They would be 14th to 7th

So... they are really.

Given GH's precarious health condition at the moment, does anyone believe we could be searching for a new manager in the coming months?

I would think its a given that Randy, The General, PF and (hopefully not) that Agency will already be drawing up a backup plan as we speak just incase either Houllier is told he can no longer take on such a job, his wife tells him not to take on full time management, he decides to retire or his health issues worsen.

They have to, its just good business sense. Last thing they would want is to be left in the lurch with out a manger id guess they'll quickly draw up plans for

a) the games Houllier misses

B) who to bring in (or not) for the remainder of the season should Houllier retire Asap

c) who to bring in in the summer should houllier retire

d) whether B) can also be c) or whether it would need to be a 5th manager in 12 months :(

That said, I hope GH takes charge and carries on his vision for next season at the very least moving upstairs. It's all in his and his doctors hands really

My ideal outcome would be Houllier coming back (as ive said before his health issues) and being our manager for atleast next season. If thats not possible i'd like:

Chris Hughton as manager + Gmac for assistant till end of season (or until Houllier can come back)

Then Houllier DOF, Moyes Manager and Hughton as Assistant.

Suspect it will be Gmac + Kmac till Houllier comes back though, which may really piss Kmac off, so Gmac+Sid a definite possibility

Question.

Who you prefer a British manager or a foreign manager? Or do you have no preference?

Also, I'd like to know what people think of the following managers:

Steve McClaren

Sam Allardyce

Alan Curbishley

Mark Hughes

I'd prefer a British manager in all honesty. I think that is what Aston Villa is all about.

McClaren gets too much stick. He has a good record at club management.

Allardyce - You wouldn't be relegated, but you wouldn't be aiming for the top 4.

Curbishley - Not a chance I would want him here. Do people forget how he slagged the club off when he left here as a player? He ripped the club to shreds and disgraced it, yet because nobody will take him on as a manager we will do? Bog off Curbs.

I'd rather have Moyes than Hughes, although I wouldn't mind him either in all honesty.

Question.

Who you prefer a British manager or a foreign manager? Or do you have no preference?

Steve McClaren

Sam Allardyce

Alan Curbishley

Mark Hughes

1&4 - Not my choices personally but if they were appointed, I wouldn't be overly fussed.

2 - No, I'd want just about anyone else but him. Why the **** would we go for Allardyce? terrible.

3. Why? of course not.

Question.

Steve McClaren

Sam Allardyce

Alan Curbishley

Mark Hughes

1&4 - Not my choices personally but if they were appointed, I wouldn't be overly fussed.

2 - No, I'd want just about anyone else but him. Why the **** would we go for Allardyce? terrible.

3. Why? of course not.

He did very well indeed at Bolton (promotion, UEFA Cup) and he did well at Blackburn too.

Has recently said he's finding it hard to find work because of the stigma surrounding him and the type of football he "plays" which he feels has been unfairly attached to him by other managers.

Has always said he's played the type of football he has because of the resources at his disposal - could play a more "pleasing" style of football with the quality of players he'd have at Villa...

Did very well at Charlton taking them up, then establishing them in the Prem - look where they are now. Also has Villa connections. Hasn't been given the opportunity to manage at one of the bigger clubs.

He also severely rubbished the club after he left here as a player, calling it all sorts of hell, and now we should let him manage us? Lol. No thanks.

What exactly did he say?

Also, did he play for Villa first or Blues?

I'm a bit young see...

You realise there's a stigma over his football because it's so one dimensional and limited. It gets you midtable or top 6 at best. We are more ambitious then that and we'd have to suffer dreadful football at the same time. Allardyce is a good manager for teams like Blackburn, not ASTON VILLA.

Curbishley is just a completely average manager and it would be embarrassing to appoint someone like him. I wouldn't blame people like Young leaving if that happened.

McLaren is a good manager but wouldn't wanna take the risk, and Hughes I'm not a fan of his style either.

Why are you limiting it to average mid-table Premier League managers, there are so many more ambitious, talented and modernised managers out there.