Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Paul Lambert has a touch of the MON about him. No bad thing. Let's see how he does with Norwich in the Prem first.

Mark Hughes is a capable Manager, badly treated by Man City, was in 4th place when they dumped him and he didn't have a great deal of time to spend the money suddenly made available, one transfer window, maybe two? A steady Manager who didn't do badly with Wales, Blackburn and now Fulham. All small clubs. Could he do a better job with a huge club?

Martin Jol, not a great success at Tottenham but plays decent football. I think we sometimes gets caught up in the exotic flavour of Managers like this. A little like Van Gaal.

David Moyes, given some cash, I'd like to see. My first choice.

Outsiders for me are Owen Coyle, Walter Smith, Grayson et al. Sven is knocking on and hardly one for the future, a little like Gerard H and Walter Smith. I'd rather we go British, someone who understands the league and has good experience. If Houllier is fit enough to come back, I'd stick with him for another season but I'm not sure his health is up to it. If not, them David Moyes might be tempted. A sideways step maybe, but a fresh start, a different challenge, with some money, different expectations and a chanace to test himself.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the key is finding a manager that can develop our youth.

I don't remember Jol doing this particularly whilst at Spuds? Hughes??

Coyle has done brilliantly with other people's youth - Sturridge, Wilshere and our Cahill. He has also bought well - Lee and Holden. I also think, as a younger less established manager, he could potentially work with Ged as a DOF.

I would go for Owen Coyle. Got Burnley promoted and were midtable before taking on a one dimensional Bolton side, saving them for relegation and this season playing a attractive game in midtable with an average Bolton team who should be relegation candidates at the least.

Fat Sam would be the nightmare scenario.

Attendances would drop massively if he took over. His brand of football is terrible.

No arguments from me with that 8)

I listened to Benetez last week on football focus. When asked if he is looking for another job in the prem, his answer gave me the impression he has already been lined up for somewhere?

Proberly just me, and trying to understand Benetez is like trying to understand a fish, but thats what it sounded like to me.

Moyes or Coyle in that order, simples.

I really dont get this Moyes lovin, the bloke has won nowt!!

He has never really had the opportunity. I think he deserves the chance with a few ££££ behind him.

He has never really had the opportunity. I think he deserves the chance with a few ££££ behind him.

I dont agree, hes had money to spend. I appreciate hes had to generate it himself (which hes done well at) but hes made some big money signings that havent paid off.

There was a table on here about a year ago that had Everton at about 12th in terms of net spend.

Doing a good job, but not an outstanding one

So the team spending the 12th amount consistently finishing 5th-7th isn't doing a great job?

Not to the extent he gets credit for.

They came 8th last year.

When you consider arsenal were bottom of that table, I would say Arsene Wenger is doing a more commendable job.

I just genuinely dont get it. I was listening to talkshite a few weeks back, and an everton fan rang up with the view i hold.

The reaction of robbie savage and the other dickwod who was on ther was outrageous. They just shouted down the phone at him not letting him speak, and saying he didnt have a clue. When actually, he was the only Everton season tickket holder out of the 3, so Id say his view is valid.

He wasnt saying moyes was a bad manager, just not an outstanding one, which the media seem to tell us he is

With the amount of money he has spent, anyone who thinks he should be doing better are in cloud cuckoo land. Some fans get bored of the same year in year out, and think change might be good. If you look at Charlton under Curbishley, finsishing 11-12th every season, he started getting stick on forums and phone ins because he had taken Charlton "as far as he could". They would bite their hands off for that now. You watch, when Moyes leaves Everton, they will drop like a stone and go back to the bi yearly relegation battle.

I agree. I'm suprised so many are so keen on the guy. I don't think he could do any better at Villa than he has at Everton. He's wasted sh-it loads at Everton, Yakubu (£11.25mill), Fellini (£15mill), A Johnson (£8.6mill), James Beattie (£6mill).

With the amount of money he has spent, anyone who thinks he should be doing better are in cloud cuckoo land. Some fans get bored of the same year in year out, and think change might be good. If you look at Charlton under Curbishley, finsishing 11-12th every season, he started getting stick on forums and phone ins because he had taken Charlton "as far as he could". They would bite their hands off for that now. You watch, when Moyes leaves Everton, they will drop like a stone and go back to the bi yearly relegation battle.

I see your point but i dont remember Curbishley having a number of 10m plus players like Moyes has got/had.

Let me ask you a question

Is the job moyes hes doing anymore impressive than the jobSean O'driscoll is doing at Doncaster? Now if were talking of shoestring budgets, check that 1 out.

Sadly, (well not sadly as I dont care for them), but it would look like they have genuinely hit a wall. But theyve won the champions league for me in being mid-table of the championship

I agree. I'm suprised so many are so keen on the guy. I don't think he could do any better at Villa than he has at Everton. He's wasted sh-it loads at Everton, Yakubu (£11.25mill), Fellini (£15mill), A Johnson (£8.6mill), James Beattie (£6mill).

£10 million - bilyaletdinov

Thing is though he had to use that money to buy players to change everton, where-as we have a very very good bunch of players (when all fit and willing) so those he would add to our squad would not be as essential as the signings he made for them. To be fair, Beattie was good before he got injured, Yakubu too, Fellini (??) has not been a disaster and is a rock for their midfield. Andy Johnson was a decent signing and scored goals, they didn't make a loss on him.