The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

Was it in the name of Allah though?  Or was it because they were military children.  Like I said in the other thread I can't see how Islam has anything to do with this.  Even the most warped version of Islam would not justify killing innocent children.  Then again it wouldn't surprise me if it was out there.  It is in retaliation to military action, unjustified and horrific as it is.

I agree but I think this could potentially be a game changer in terms of Pakistan and the attitudes of many towards such groups.

I think it is highly likely that there could be quite the shift politically against these groups.

Not that that will resolve things but it might just stop some in Pakistan from playing or being allowed to play a duplicitous role in such matters.

Conversely I actually don't think much will change at all. Pakistan is a strange country that largely, at a state level, has its cake and eats it. It's an ally of the US but it's people don't like it (in many cases with reason). It plays along with the US and takes the benefits and issues that arise, but plays up it's hate of the situation whenever anything goes wrong and many of its people agree.

I think the Taliban is, in many cases, reasonably popular with Pakistani people, or at worst they are agonistic to it. This atrocity will be played as a result of Pakistan being Washington's lap dog and very little will change.

IIRC this isn't the first Taliban atrocity and nothing changed then, I don't think this, regardless of the heinous nature of it, will be any different.

They are not military children, Muslim children or militant children, they are all just children. The other labels belong to adults who have made choices. These poor little souls never even got that opportunity.

Best post in the thread.
This Edited by omariqy

US targeted drone strikes killed more than 1,000 civilians in Pakistan and Yemen since 2002. One "precise" drone strike, intended to kill one target, can sometimes kill as many as 128 others.

MOSCOW, November 25 (Sputnik) – US drone strikes in Pakistan and Yemen may have killed 1,147 civilians in error between 2002 and 2014, the UK human rights organization Reprieve said in a report Tuesday.

An MQ-1 Predator

© US AIR FORCE

US Conducted 500 Drone Attacks, Killing 3,674 “Suspected” Terrorists

"In total, as many as 1,147 people may have been killed during attempts to kill 41 men, accounting for a quarter of all possible drone strike casualties in Pakistan and Yemen," said the document based on data from the media, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism and a number of anonymous officials from the United States, Yemen and Pakistan.

The report stresses that the United States has failed to deliver on its promises, after Obama claimed back in 2012 that the strikes had been extremely precise and did not cause civilian casualties. Moreover, the human rights organization says that the White House outlined preconditions to every strike in 2013, ensuring the terrorist target was present and the strike area was free from civilians.

U.S. President Barack Obama

© SPUTNIK/ SERGEY GUNEEV

U.S. President Barack Obama

Reprieve says the names of targeted individuals are put on a secret US Kill List, which is approved by the president personally.

Reprieve noted that in media reports the same terrorist names are mentioned time and again among those killed.

"These "high value targets" appear to be doing the impossible – dying not once, not twice, but as many as six times. At the same time, hundreds of unknown men, women and children are also caught in the crosshairs. President Obama continues to insist drone strikes are "precise", but when targeting one person instead kills as many as 128 others, there's only one conclusion that can be drawn – there's nothing targeted about the US drone programme," Reprieve's Staff Attorney Jennifer Gibson said.

According to the report that cites the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, the United States has possibly carried out up to 486 airstrikes in Pakistan and Yemen, which may have killed 4,400 people over the last 12 years, most of them unnamed.

http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20141125/1015160746.html

This world seems a horrible horrible place to live. What is the point in living and trying to be nice when all around it is horrible. Right from the horrors of the middle east,both by terrorist and those apparently on the good side torturing them. Then there's Russia and Ukraine. Then you have mps celebrities etc here in England who are disgusting. Then right down to the people you work with everyday who in all likelihood would see you suffer if it meant they got paid more money. Even families don't get along.

How can you just walk around and ignore it all when it's there for all to see everyday. I struggle to see how anyone is truly happy in this life and I do start to wonder what the point of it is.

Cue some piss taking etc but it really does wear you down (the piss taking will be done by those who see it as a chance to score points and make themselves feel more manly)

Cue some piss taking etc but it really does wear you down (the piss taking will be done by those who see it as a chance to score points and make themselves feel more manly)

Don't know why you're so certain people are gonna take the piss..

I think you have to look for any crumb of good news where you can find it, and any bit of personal happiness, even if it's fleeting. Otherwise you can easily give in to despair, because it's pretty clear things are only going to get worse.

Some one on here has/had a signature that said something to the effect of "Life is short, enjoy the ride"...if this is our reality, the way things are, the best we can do is try and make the best of it, and count our blessings because it could be much worse. We live in a cozy First World bubble compared to the majority of the world's population.

• Like 1

Â