The Arab Spring and "the War on Terror"

legov

They will be lucky, although Boku Haram are certainly causing a stir in Africa, which nobody really seems to give a damn about. I guess there isn't much oil in Africa, or something.

There's loads of oil in Nigeria.

They will be lucky, although Boku Haram are certainly causing a stir in Africa, which nobody really seems to give a damn about. I guess there isn't much oil in Africa, or something.

USA, France and UK have all been trying to help the Nigerian govt., but have been basically stonewalled. Seems they don't want western meddling, even though they clearly can't handle the situation themselves, and the African Union is on holiday apparently.

I don't understand Africa to be honest.

Underdeveloped by centuries of slave trading, mineral theft, social oppression and political repression under colonial rule, traditional tribal boundaries erased and arbitrarily drawn up borders imposed by Europe, puppet leaders installed as satellite Communist fighters, good politicians murdered, corrupt politicians steal from the people, sweetheart deals for multinational firms with no ethics, superstition and ignorance allowing disease to flourish, religious and tribal warfare, failed states, power vacuums and not much hope that things will get better.

Though BP seem to have managed to spill several trillion gazillion gallons of it, to the detriment of the peeps living there, oh and the wildlife, planet etc...

Underdeveloped by centuries of slave trading, mineral theft, social oppression and political repression under colonial rule, traditional tribal boundaries erased and arbitrarily drawn up borders imposed by Europe, puppet leaders installed as satellite Communist fighters, good politicians murdered, corrupt politicians steal from the people, sweetheart deals for multinational firms with no ethics, superstition and ignorance allowing disease to flourish, religious and tribal warfare, failed states, power vacuums and not much hope that things will get better.

Still, AFCON is worth a watch.

In fairness, there is a legitimate middle class in parts of Africa, but by and large, it's a basket case.

Though BP seem to have managed to spill several trillion gazillion gallons of it, to the detriment of the peeps living there, oh and the wildlife, planet etc...

There is some truth in that (although the main culprit is Shell not BP), but the largest source of pollution is caused by locals breaking the pipelines to steal crude oil.

The oil majors put great effort into not spilling their products/profits.

One of the major issues facing Nigeria is the staggering corruption and theft of money in their senior military ranks, leaving soldiers with Shi'ite equipment and literally out gunned by Boko Haram in many instances. Allowing the west too much access would fully expose quite how corrupt the Nigerian authorities really are, better to allow the north to be overrun and protect their financial interests.

• Like 1

Just being reported that those charming Islamic State chaps have decided to mix things up for their fans. Clearly bored with hacking peoples heads off for the camera, they've released a video of the captured Jordanian pilot they were holding being burned alive.

Don't know if it was the usual British executioner or whether they let some other fruitcake have his fun for this video. It will take someone with a stronger stomach than me to find out.

We really should be putting far more effort into killing these folks, IMHO.

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

Â