Jean II Makoun

dudevillaisnice

... and that definatly is "in your opinion" bicks.

I would say he had a great game against Man Utd, a great first half against Fulham but an average second half (he was still our best player on the pitch), a good first half against Blackpool, and an average debut against Wigan.

Other than his red card and a few dodgy positioning moments, I think he's clearly been one of our top 3 players in every game he's played for us so far.

I didn't see the Fulham game as I was at work, but I remember at half time, whoever was doing the minute by minute on the sky sports app said that Makoun was being overshadowed by Sidwell. As I say, I've got no idea though.

In the games I have seen him in, it looks like he'll be a lot stronger when he plays against teams who'll give him time on the ball and on bigger pitches. If he's got time and space he looks like he can really spray the ball around, but looks less convincing when he's getting pressurised by the other team.

He needs time to settle in and weigh up all around him.The pace of the premier will be different and he has to acclimatise to that..... until he does all that it is difficult to access.

It seems who ever comes in we all assume they are better than we already have. and they go striaght in to the hot mix.

We have to wait and see if that is the case.

PS its interesting to see the effect Craig Gardner is having with our city cousins, with an extended run and the same could be said for Gary Cahill and Zat Knight.....These players are all featuring in teams above us.

Sidwell and Hughes were deemed as rubbish, yet we could'nt get a home win against them.....HHHHHHHMMMMMMNNNN

PS its interesting to see the effect Craig Gardner is having with our city cousins, with an extended run and the same could be said for Gary Cahill and Zat Knight.....These players are all featuring in teams above us.

Sidwell and Hughes were deemed as rubbish, yet we could'nt get a home win against them.....HHHHHHHMMMMMMNNNN

Craig Gardner was always a good player. He just never had a consistent chance due to our manager. Whenever he played, he always gave his all and showed glimpses of his potential. Now, all he is doing is getting a good run of games and fulfilling that potential.

Sidwell is now getting to play in his preferred position, which is attacking midfield but where he also helps out the rest of the midfield. He was played as a holding midfielder or similar which is not his best position.

I think it's easy to see Makoun is a class apart whether you want to throw stats about or not. He has the vision and moments of skill (see yesterday, quite odd for a 'defensive midfielder') that don't come up on the Guardian Chalkboards. He's something we haven't had in a long, long while in the centre of the park. Those comparisons to Berson are absolutely pathetic - had he anywhere near the pedigree of Makoun when joined? No. Did he make nigh on 90 successful passes against Manchester United in his second game in this divison? No.

I think it's easy to see Makoun is a class apart whether you want to throw stats about or not. He has the vision and moments of skill (see yesterday, quite odd for a 'defensive midfielder') that don't come up on the Guardian Chalkboards. He's something we haven't had in a long, long while in the centre of the park. Those comparisons to Berson are absolutely pathetic - had he anywhere near the pedigree of Makoun when joined? No. Did he make nigh on 90 successful passes against Manchester United in his second game in this divison? No.
Agreed.

... and that definatly is "in your opinion" bicks.

I would say he had a great game against Man Utd, a great first half against Fulham but an average second half (he was still our best player on the pitch), a good first half against Blackpool, and an average debut against Wigan.

Other than his red card and a few dodgy positioning moments, I think he's clearly been one of our top 3 players in every game he's played for us so far.

I didn't see the Fulham game as I was at work, but I remember at half time, whoever was doing the minute by minute on the sky sports app said that Makoun was being overshadowed by Sidwell. As I say, I've got no idea though.

In the games I have seen him in, it looks like he'll be a lot stronger when he plays against teams who'll give him time on the ball and on bigger pitches. If he's got time and space he looks like he can really spray the ball around, but looks less convincing when he's getting pressurised by the other team.

Someone is on the wind up then, because although Sidwell had a good game (and got more chances in 90 minutes to score than he did in his entire Villa career (missed them obviously)) Makoun, especially in the first half, was absolutely immense. He was just oozing class all over the pitch. You could tell from that one performance he is something special, and a player like that will never end up at Fulham, unlike a certain Sidwell.

Makoun is a real quality footballer. He has already shown in the few games he's had that he will be an outstanding player for us. His passing is something we haven't seen at Villa for a long time. He can play it with both feet and he moves the ball quickly, not this needing two touches to control it shit. Makoun is the kind of plyer that would look at home in the centre of Arsenal or Man Utd's midfield and I think that we are lucky to have him tbh.

Makoun is still finding his feet in the PL and will still need time to settle into our way of life and culture etc. There is a language barrier to overcome too so the best is yet to come and I can't wait to see how good he is in a year's time :D

I think we can all forgive him for the tackle. It was probably a bit of naivety on his part but it wasn't really malicious. At least he makes tackles, unlike messrs Young and Downing! :rant:

Makoun got closed down well by the Blackpool players yesterday so his passing was a bit more off. However look at the highlights and who nicked the ball off Adam in the build up to the first goal? Makoun. Who won thr ball for Downing's chance, Makoun again. So he still played a major impact in our two best chances of the game.

Really disappointed he's going to miss three games for us now, who was it on here a few pages back who said they wouldn't be surprised if he got sent off in one of his first few games given how he was tackling?

I predict that the big clubs will start sniffing around him next season. His ability to evaluate a situation in a split second and pick out a pass whilst under pressure is the kind of thing only the best players can do.

He just needs to get used to the physical side a bit more, improve his strength and stamina.

Sorry, I think the Berson comparison is perfectly valid Jonno. I actually thought Berson was a decent player, who we just never saw the best of for a variety of reasons, the main one being that he couldn't settle in England. Anyway Berson was comfortable on the ball, with a decent range of passing. A neat and tidy player, the same as Makoun. I'd say Berson was more solid defensively than Makoun, who doesn't look like a defensive player to me at all.

For all the good passes Makoun made against Man U, he attempted half that against Blackpool, and misplaced nearly half of them. Makoun is also poor in the tackle, as he's hardly won a single one (lost 11 out of 15 against Blackpool) and then got sent off for a bad one.

I think Makoun will do well for us, but I hope that Bradley is the "destroyer" type (but hopefully better than NRC at it ) because Makoun certainly isn't.

Yet to see anything to get excited about.

However, a good friend (villa fan) has said good things (and seen more) so I will be patient

i assume you didnt see the game at Old Trafford.

He is not an exciting player but he is very good

Â