The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

Hi General,

Hope you are keeping well!

Are there any plans for a 'high profile' pre-season friendly at Villa Park like in recent years against Inter Milan, Fiorentina and Valencia?

If so can it be scheduled for a Saturday, unlike last season's Friday night match against Valencia?

The reason I ask is my lad will be turning 5 and this would be a perfect introduction to Aston Villa - we no longer live in the Midlands but he's beginning to get the bug and can't wait to watch a live match.

Many thanks!

General,

New to the site. Have been reading since you've been posting though and I just want to say thank you to yourself and Randy. You've done a wonderful job to date.

Onto the serious stuff. There is plenty of debate out there. Pro-Houllier, Anti-Houllier, Back him, Sack Him. For me, the most important thing is not which way the club decides to go. The most important thing is for the club to have some certainty. Heading into another off season not knowing who is going to take the club forward will be unacceptable and we will face another season of underachievement. A decision needs to be made one way or another as soon as possible. Back him or Sack him!

Hi General, with Ashley Young more than likely heading out the door this summer, is it going to be a case that we keep selling our best players year on year. I honestly thought when Randy walked in the door that he was going to show alot more ambition to keep a winning team together and try and build something good here. TBH, i'm getting to the stage where i'd rather be back in the days of Ellis as atleast you didn't face losing your best players every summer the way we do now. It nearly seems like we sign the likes of these young talents so we can sell them on for profit, and not for the good of the footballing side of things.

General,

Post edited - TV

Your the best thing to have ever happened to this football club. Unfortunately until you take a step back from football and realise exactly what its become, you dont understand what a state the game is in and Randy is doing his best to compete. Keep up the good work. You do need to sort out the managing side of things though or at least give a statement of intent to appease fans.

Sometimes i think people forget we just spent 24m on a striker!

UptheVilla.

Good Morning General.

Where are you?

Regards :)

This and...

Will there be some clarity regarding our management situation soon? It seems its not just the fans, but the players who feel in limbo also if Luke Youngs comments are to go by.

Bests

Roy

Hi General, with Ashley Young more than likely heading out the door this summer, is it going to be a case that we keep selling our best players year on year. I honestly thought when Randy walked in the door that he was going to show alot more ambition to keep a winning team together and try and build something good here. TBH, i'm getting to the stage where i'd rather be back in the days of Ellis as atleast you didn't face losing your best players every summer the way we do now. It nearly seems like we sign the likes of these young talents so we can sell them on for profit, and not for the good of the footballing side of things.

General, while I disagree with a lot of the quoted post, we have to look at things objectively. 3 years in a row - we have lost our best member of staff. This is unacceptable in any business, let alone a professional football team at the top level. I don't necessarily blame for the board for letting this happen, as I couldn't possibly know the exact circumstances surrounding each sale. All I know is - it did happen (assuming Ash Young goes). Why? We have to examine (and then rectify) why exactly it is that good players want to leave our club:

Firstly - money. Not much we can do about that with the likes of Man City around. But I would suggest that investing more in our best players' wages will pay dividends - not only in ticket sales, but in final league positions and ultimately television revenue. This was something we got completely wrong under MON, and this should be something we fix quickly. I understand that we only have a finite amount of resources compared to other clubs, but we also have far more than most. Since Randy bought AVFC, his resources have not been used anywhere near as well as they could have been - that fact is undeniable. We need to find a balance of good squad players with low wages, leaving a high cap for our very best players, so we can keep them (and not ending up having to sell them for less than their market worth).

Secondly - ambition. Can AVFC offer an aspiring young footballer the chance to accomplish various career goals? We have not won any silverware for a long time, and, following this year, it doesn't look too likely that we'll be challenging for the lucrative Champions League spots in the near future. Bearing in mind AVFC is the 5th best team in the Premier League of all time, we have actually underachieved since Randy and yourself came here. Of course, we were underachieving to a far greater extent before you got here, and I will be eternally grateful for helping us get closer to achieving what us fans know we are able to. But the current state of affairs, and indeed the last 2/3 years, have not been good enough. We need to improve in every single aspect, as a club; from the boardroom to the academy players. If we don't learn from the mistakes we've made, I am afraid that we will fail to progress.

Clearly the issues surrounding these problems are very complex. I just sincerely hope that Randy and those around him are thinking about, and aiming to solve, these issues. And if they are not, I beg that you hire someone that will.

General,

I received my season ticket renewal pack the other day. Quick question. Before I renew can you confirm whether or not the prices are based on us being in the Premiership or the Championship?

Looks likely we will go in to the last game of the season with a chance of being relegated. Absolute disgrace. In fact its a disgrace that we have been in and around the relegation places for the last 6months.

Hope you are well General as we haven't heard from you in a while.

Mark

Hi General,

I hope you are ok and your family too.

I have a question for you. Is our management team aware that there is still an outside chance of us being relegated?

Please remind our management team and players that there is still something very much in our favour at the bottom and that is our goal difference. It might sound defeatist of me to mention this as I am sure that everyone would rather us put our own house in order by getting at least one more point from our next two games. However, with our opponents both having plenty to play for, I would argue that we do our utmost to protect that one thing (GD) that we currently have in our favour.

I just hope that we don't go gung-ho against Arsenal tomorrow as I feel we might just regret it and end up on the receiving end of a heavy defeat and that all-important goal difference taking a pounding.

Sorry to be so negative in my post. It's all just too close for comfort at the moment General.

UTV

General

Great team performance today, regardless of the result, it was a team effort and they have shown they can fight, but its sad that it has taken 37 games to see this.

I just hope the result doesn't cloud what is still needed at the end of the season.

We have the players and always have had this year, the problem has been the management team, and it requires ruthless action, the premier league is a cut throat business and there is no time for sentiment.

Anyway here's to hoping the bright future is still there and not far away. :winkold:

:D Ecstatic today General.

One thing, and I dont want to worsen the tone of the day but a lot of West Ham fans think Robert Green is on his way to us over the summer. I know yourself and Randy would not want to get involved in the football side and cannot comment on transfers. But please. Stress to management that Green today singlehandedly relegated West Ham, will command wages above his pay grade and there are many many many keepers out there better than he. Please dont allow us to sign him. He is capable of Match Of The Day saves when he wants to be... but is much more likely to pull off Match Of The Day blunders. I would honestly be devastated if we signed him for anything more than backup.

Scott Parker on the other hand....

Hi General,

Think it's safe for you to come back now :)

Great win/performance today, just shows what this squad could achieve, just got to wonder why we haven't played like this more often...

Hi General,

A couple of questions/requests for you.

Firstly, please ignore my last post on this thread. Clearly I know nothing about football and was panicking over nothing.

Secondly, please give Darren Bent the number 9 shirt for next season. I am sure that there will be a massive amount of shirts sold with that name/number on them. He is surely the most important signing this club has made since God knows when.

I cannot wait to celebrate the 20+ goals that the Dazzler gets next season.

One last request. Can you please ask the players to beat the smeggers next week. I have a bet with a mate that Villa will finish in the top 10 and the only way to do it is by winning the last game :D

Up The Villa!

Good Day General,

Just wondering if we are close to securing a shirt sponsor for next season?

Thanks.

I too wonder about this and our new kit. I'm assuming that things are still being worked out so the Liverpool game would be too soon to reveal our new home kit (I'm thinking along the lines of how Chelsea played in their new home kit this weekend just passed and I think Everton used next season's away shirt too?) but it would be good if we could do this next season. I understand that without a sponsor tied down this probably won't happen for next week although if it did it would be a lovely surprise :)

I hope you're good and I'm sure you enjoyed the Arsenal win as much as all did here on VT Gen.

Semper Fi, Sir.