The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General

Apologies in advance if this sounds blunt, but why the hell did we not take the full 2,900 allocation for Arsenal away? I, and many others, want to know.

We ALWAYS sell-out for Arsenal away - so with this being the last away game of the season it is a disgrace that we've only got the 2,200 which has, obviously, already sold out.

I have a ticket but that's not the point, many of my mates who intended to go, can't now. It has been said elsewhere on this board that the reason is because Villa were too "slow" to request the full allocation. Is this true? If so it's a shambles on our part and a disgrace.

We pride ourselves on having one of the top away supports in the country - how is it helping the club if we are under-selling our own fans? The more away fans = a better chance of winning at the end of the day.

I await your response.

V&L

General, I posted this a week ago and I would appreciate a response. Thanks.

General, two weeks ago now I asked this question. Please can you respond.

Hi General,

Two Villa players have a go at management in private training session and get heavily reprimanded.

Heskey goes mental on the pitch, making contact with an official and having to be substituted at half time "to ensure we kept 11 players on the pitch" but he's not going to be punished because he's good friends with McAllister? All taken from McAllister's direct quotes.

That, in a nut-shell, is what is wrong with Villa this season and why there are so many divisions within our squad. You can see why certain players aren't happy here at the moment and it's a reason why we're around 4/5/6th from BOTTOM rather than top!

Good evening General sir.

If you were an average working schmuck like most of us midlanders, earning an average wage or probably less, with very little disposable income, would you shell out for a season ticket next season at an increased price given the dross the fans have put up with at VP in the last 8 months?

General - One thing for me really. Please can you mention it to GMAC that we are not safe yet and we still need the players to turn up for the remaining games of the season. McAllister's MOTD interview sounded a little bit like he was celebrating the season being over and the last thing our team needs is an excuse not to even bother against Arsenal and Liverpool.

The players owe it to the fans to sign this season off the best way possible and as long as I see fight and commitment I will be happy. Please tell GMAC to put his champagne away until we have actually achieved something.

General I have to say that while we all agree this season has been a disaster, the last 2 games have been the worst 180 minutes of back to back football I have seen. We are without doubt leaderless, clueless and playing without any pride. We could lose 6-0 next week if someone doesn't step up amd provide leadership.

Enough said. Please take action.

I would like to register my disappointment in the decision not to discipline Emile Heskey for his behaviour yesterday. His reaction towards the referee was disgraceful and not how an Aston Villa player should behave. A stronger, better referee would have sent him off, rightly so. And then we hear that he carried on in the tunnel at half time. It is not acceptable to do this in an Aston Villa shirt. Lukily Heskey is more of a laughing stock than a role model these days. This came, of course, after Heskey has been sent off a few months ago for violent conduct. He is very typical of a number of the senior players at our club who do not deserve the support and money they receive.

And we then get told he went home at half time after being substituted. He's obviously not a team player.

Hi General,

I hope you are well.

I have to say that I have been bitterly disappointed with the overall performance of the team this season. Yesterday was, well, boring to be honest. I was never a great fan of our style of football under the previous management but the games were usually exciting.

The games at Villa Park this season have been pretty lifeless. I can't remember too many games where Villa have entertained me and made me excited about their play. It's ok keeping the ball for longer periods of play etc but what good does it do when there is no end product after 10 or 15 continuous passes? In fact, I would argue that a lot of the goals we've conceded this season have been because of the possession football that the defenders have tried to play (and poor set piece defending of course!) but inevitably ended up losing possession in a dangerous area and it's cost us dearly, see yesterday's Wigan goal for evidence of this! I don't recall too many goalmouth scrambles when Villa have attacked this season, that's for sure.

I can honestly say that watching Villa this season has reminded me of the darker days under the management of David O'Leary. He was a motion-less manager and we've seen that kind of style from our management this season and I have to say that it isn't easy on the eyes at all. I feel as though the management cannot motivate the players on the pitch and that passes on to the people in the crowd, hence the poor atmosphere inside VP this season. Nobody can argue that the previous manager's most outstanding quality was his motivational skills. You could see that he kicked every ball and fought every tackle and it seemed to lift the guys on the pitch and in turn it lifted the fans. I can understand that Gerard Houllier's condition may have taken its toll on him and he is following instruction not to get too excited, that's fair enough as the mans heatlth is more important. However, there is nothing stopping the rest of the backroom staff getting off their backsides and inspiring the players on the pitch!

I understand that the higher management of the club may have bought into Gerard Houllier's vision for the future and it may be a great vision. However, not all dreams come true and unless Randy intends to part with mega money, we are not going to attract the pretty football style players that our manager wants. Those type of players do not come cheaply and we certainly don't have those players on the books at the moment, not if this season's play is anything to go by!

Like I said, the previous manager had the ability to get that bit extra out of players. That, in my opinion, has been the most telling difference between this season and the last 3. The players fought harder for the previous manager and that bit extra made up for the lack of natural ability that they maybe have. I'm not saying we don't have talented players, not for one minute am I suggesting that. I am merely saying that they are not good enough, technically, to play the brand of football that Houllier envisages. To counter that, they need that bit extra from inside of them. That extra something that the previous manager was able to get out of them.

It shocks me how many poor decisions our players made on the pitch yesterday. Call it nerves, call it carelessness, call it what you will. It just shocked me how poor we were in front of our own fans against a very poor Wigan side. I am so glad that we didn't play any of the other strugglers yesterday as I feel it would have resulted in yet another defeat. We are going to survive by a handful of points in a season where the top teams have actually been quite poor. At this stage last season we had 64 points. That amount would have had us lying in 4th place this season. To be as low as this, even with all of the early season injuries taken into account, is just unacceptable.

I will be renewing my season ticket in the coming weeks, regardless of the performances this season. As long as I have the money, I will always renew my season ticket. However, I hope that the football on show next season will be a lot better than I have seen this season. I really don't care if Villa have 75% possession to the opposition's 25%. I want to see a committed TEAM of players on the pitch. Player's that REALLY fight for each other and whom want the ball off their teammate and not look away or fail to move to receive the ball from their teammate, as if to suggest "you deal with it". I'm watching the Stoke City v Arsenal game live on TV whilst typing this and I have to say that, although their football isn't the prettiest on the eye, Stoke today are far more entertaining to watch than my beloved Villa were yesterday - and most of this season! I hate saying things like that General but I am sure that a lot of other fans will get what I mean. The never-say-die style of football gets the fans up for it. Villa do not seem to have that spirit in them since our previous manager left us. I miss watching my team play with spirit and desire. I have read the comments of our current manager and his assistant in recent weeks and they keep saying we showed desire and fight. My God, if that's what they call fight then we are always going to be in trouble with them around!

I hate to say this but I do not feel as though the current management will take us to where we can be with these players. Yes there have to be changes, of course that needs to happen as we all know what's gone on this season behind the scenes is not acceptable. But, I am judging from what I have seen on the pitch and on the touchline. I don't see this management turning it around enough to get us back up the league and challenging for top 4 and trophies. I would like to see a new management team come in and try to make better of what we've got as well as getting rid of those who haven't been professional behind the scenes. Bringing in some new faces and a new management team is the only way I see Villa NOT having a replica of this season next campaign.

I'm sorry to mention a new management team when our current manager is not well. To me, that makes it more important to part company. I would hate for the stress of managing our club be the reason for the health of Gerard Houllier taking a turn for the worse. I think Mr Houllier's wife and family would share the same sentiments in that respect.

There are many names being thrown about to replace GH. If the club does decide to take this action, please do it early so that the changes are all done in a time that allows us to have a proper pre-season and the incoming man has time to make the changes neccessary for us to enjoy a better 2011/2012 season. Also, please choose a person who can motivate people and get that bit extra out of them. You might find it saves Randy a lot of money!

Finally, a question for you General. What is Paul Faulkner's role at the club? I mean, what are the requirements of the job that he does? Does he go to Randy with the names for the management position etc? Is he the man who decides whether the non-playing staff needs changing etc? I am intrigued to know what his role actually involves.

Regards & UTV

Villarocker

General,

I would just like to add my view on the current state of our beloved club.

5 years ago, yourself, Randy and the board embarked on a journey to break into the top 4. To bring silverware to Aston Villa. To be recognised as a force, not only in the Premier League, but also in Europe.

Currently, we are still trying to work out mathematical permutations to avoid being relegated! What has gone on???

There may be factors adding to this. For example, our former manager decided to leave with very little time to find a suitable replacement. He spent more money than was necessary on sub-standard players who weren't up to the task. Having our best players leave because we don't have the ambition to match theirs. Being forced into signing a player who isn't even sure if he wants to play football. Injuries and suspensions. I could go on. All factors. That is football.

But there are also facts. The facts are, Gerrard Houllier and Gary Mac, have managed to drag this club down from being a recognised top 6 club, challenging for the top 4, getting a cup final and a cup semi final, to a club that is now an embarrassment.

The facts are, we have lost to every one of our local rivals. A stat that has never happened in the top flight. The facts are that we have failed to beat the scum from across the road, infact they also beat us to go on to win a cup that we managed to get to the final of last season. The facts are, that our players have not performed. The facts are, that in a season where every club has been below par, we still find ourselves 19 points WORSE off than at this stage in our previous campaign!

Also, the amount of points we have dropped from winning positions (23, I believe), would've seen us 4th had we managed to win those games!

There has genuinely only been the signing of Darren Bent that has been able to raise the remotes bit of excitement for me this season. Some fans will argue whether we'd have bought him had we been in the top half of the table during the January transfer window, but for me, that is irrelevant. We've needed a player like Darren Bent for 10 years. Without him, we would surely have been relegated by now.

So, we're 5 years into the plan, and we're now actually in the SAME position as when you guys took over. Surely no-one on the board can be happy with this?

I am not doubting Randys love for the club, but please, for the sake of Aston Villa, change the management of the club once the final whistle blows after our final game of the season. I don't believe we'll get any points from our next two games, so there is also a view that we might aswell just get rid now. We wouldn't be any worse off.

Both GH and GMac have been a cancer on the club since they came here, and the sooner they are removed, the sooner we can all get back to seeing Aston Villa back where they belong.

Come on Randy, do the right thing. But please don't hire Mark Hughes, as he's shown nothing to prove that he can take us any further than MON. Lets really push the boat out and get the BEST manager we can, then watch the crowds and the atmosphere returning to Villa Park. Remember the season of 07/08? We could easily have that again, but we need to change the management now to give the new boss time to get his own players in and ship out the deadwood within our ranks.

I truely hope that this summer, and more importantly, next season, is much more appealing and a vast improvement on what we've been subjected to this year.

Kind regards

UTV

Forgot to mention this yesterday - please turn off the bells before the game. It sounds like a funeral march, it's depressing and definitely doesn't lift any spirits before the game. Escape by Craig Armstrong was better and more intimidating for the opposition. Sort it out please and bring that back.

Forgot to mention this yesterday - please turn off the bells before the game. It sounds like a funeral march, it's depressing and definitely doesn't lift any spirits before the game. Escape by Craig Armstrong was better and more intimidating for the opposition. Sort it out please and bring that back.

AGREE AGREE AGREE!! The bells are appalling and sound really defeatist, sombre and depressing!!

General

As an ex-military man, you of all people must agree that Emile Heskey's half-time/early departure strenghten the underlying belief that there is a complete lack of discipline within the current regime?

Whatever we say about Martin O'Neill, we never had the indiscipline we are experiencing this year in what is becoming the biggest farce of a season I can ever remember! In truth Sir, I can only see this indiscipline as being the route of our problems, and there is only one person to blame for this.

Mr. Houllier and his management team have had the best part of a season to stamp his authority on the playing staff and it just isn't working. And to suggest he needs more time and resources to mould his side is nonsense, Randy backed his purchase of Darren Bent and Makoun at a cost of c£30m. Whilst we can all question some of our squad this season, on more than one ocassion in the past you and a number of football pundits have described the majority of this squad as a "good honest bunch"! So what has gone wrong?

Whatever the state of Mr. Houllier's health, and I sincerely wish him a speedy recovery, we must act now and replace him with someone who is capable of managing at the highest level. Whilst Houllier has undoubtedly been a successfull individual in the past he is clearly out of touch. And with respect, the way our team has performed under his assistant underline that Gary McAllister is clearly a pundit at best!!

Week in, week out I have paid hard earned money to watch this side and I am afraid it has been a complete waste. As a season ticket holder and regular attendee at away games, why should I renew my ticket to watch the dross I have been subjected to so far under Houllier? And by the way, this coment isn't made because of the price increases that have been implemented because I agree that we are still able to purchase some of the cheapest tickets in the league - in truth I'd pay more if we were successful!

Whilst I may be pesemistic, we are still not mathematically safe - our superior goal difference (what a joke, -13!) may be our saving grace as I can not see us getting anymore points and without a doubt have the toughest run in of the bottom 8 clubs - and the way our defence is at the moment I'm not convinced we won't ship 7 or 8 goals!!

Not only has this season been a disaster from a footballing perspective, I am certain that it has impacted both our commercial negotiations with our current and future sponsor as well as putting further doubt in the mind of potential signings.

I sincerely beleive that if you and your fellow board members do not act decisively now, the club will suffer on more than one front in the future.

Thanks for listening!

Dave

General i just want to say how brilliant the new season ticket prices are especially with the extras on top , we are one of the cheapest in league by far , albion, wolves are shocked when i tell them how much my season ticket is, some of our people would even moan if they were free , just ignore these moaning people ,they are at every club

Hi General,

Can I just say, that there are loads of fans that can see the good work Houllier has done at the club.

The introduction of a scouts, training/fitness programs, giving many youngsters a taste of 1st team football, changing the style to a more modern approach, etc etc..

Its just we dont moan and we see the bigger picture and have patience to understand that sometimes good things take a little time to develope.

Please give Gerard my regards and hope he gets well and can continue the great work of re-building the club.

Being a Villa fan is embarrassing at the moment. What a truly shit season. I was with Man United and Chelsea fans all day today telling me that I need to change my allegiance to support one of their shit, media driven clubs. It's never gonna happen, but can't believe how little other fans think of us in just one season! I'm sick and tired of the crap excuses coming out of Villa Park. Put it right or lose the fans.

Hi Gen

Hope you are well.

Thanks for keeping the ST prices at a reasonable level. Look forward to spending next year at Villa Park.

Just remember; as quickly as things have changed for the worse, they can change for the better. Keep believing in the bright future.