The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

A good honest post General, spoken as it is and I feel a you and the Board have a great lot of affection for our club. Trust me General we as supporters will give all next season and stand by our team. We must next year be ruthless not only on the pitch but in my opinion in the search for a new Manager and support staff. The Premier League is unforgiving and so must we be. We will always be the midlands top dogs.

General, are you concerned that given our Assistant Manager's previous failings at other clubs in divisions below us which have consequently led to his dismissal we may struggle to end the season well and could yet still be dragged into an unwanted relegation fight in the final weeks?

I applaud you, General, in your answers. It IS now about what we do now that counts... Though good lord please no Gary Mac in charge. YOu build a record over a period such as his for a reason, not fluke or circumstance.

Oh a side note on Obama... Like a club and managers, should it really be about someone of that nationality or the best man/woman for the job? We want a global community but our national 'they aint from here' takes over. Some of our bravest soldiers in WW2 were poles who fled when the nazis went in. So for me its about the person, not the nationality.

Hi General,

Just to say thanks for your honest comments! Keep up with the good work - Listening to the fans its appreciated.

My question is this:

In the majority of cases. The History of the Premier Lesugue seems to tell us that there is a direct correlation between the amount of money a club spends and the position that they finish in the League (only 2 teams, not in the big 4 in the last 19 years of the PL have made it to the CL - Everton and Spurs)

Is it realistically possible for us to finish in the top four in the Premier Leaugue with out spending the the money Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool. are spending as well as competing with Arsenal too.

Please give best wishes to GH!

Up the Villa.

General

Thanks for your post, whilst I don't agree with all of the points that jackbauer24 has said, for the most part his thoughts are what I believe all villa fans feel.

All we can ask is that you, Randy, Paul Faulkner and the rest of the board act swiftly and decisively to get us back on track. We all wish GH a speedy recovery but this does not deflect from the fact that we need to make changes as there have been numerous "issues" that could and should have been avoided.

I think it is fair to say that Villa fans are generally patient and all of us would be able to forgive and forget if we get back to where we were going last season but if we continue to make headlines for the reasons we have this season we are all in for a rocky ride!

All the best General

General,

With the decision quickly made that Houllier would not manage again this season apart from McCallister were others at the club considered for the role of caretaker manager? Given McCallisters previous record in management and coaching for that matter he appeared to be a poor choice as is being shown to be the case.

Regards

Mark

Hi General,

I just wanted to point out what a terrific job Roy Hodgson has done at West Brom since he took over a couple of months ago. I would also like you to consider the fact that he hasn't made a single signing (as he arrived after the transfer window closed) and he has led West Brom to one defeat in 10 games - they were previously in freefall. Now, not for one minute am I suggesting we should try and get Roy Hodgson to Villa. I just want you to compare the job he has done at West Brom to the one that Gerard Houllier and Gary MacAllister have done with us (taking into account we have spent around £30m and are no better). The right appointment at Villa will galvanise the team and major spending will be avoided. I just have a fear Randy will throw a load more money Gerard's way in the summer and we'll be no better off next season.

Hi General,

I just wanted to point out what a terrific job Roy Hodgson has done at West Brom since he took over a couple of months ago. I would also like you to consider the fact that he hasn't made a single signing (as he arrived after the transfer window closed) and he has led West Brom to one defeat in 10 games - they were previously in freefall. Now, not for one minute am I suggesting we should try and get Roy Hodgson to Villa. I just want you to compare the job he has done at West Brom to the one that Gerard Houllier and Gary MacAllister have done with us (taking into account we have spent around £30m and are no better). The right appointment at Villa will galvanise the team and major spending will be avoided. I just have a fear Randy will throw a load more money Gerard's way in the summer and we'll be no better off next season.

May I echo this statement General and also add to it, sometimes you just don't get the right 'fit' at a club.

Look at Hodgson at Liverpool and Hodgson at WBA. GH, while being a nice chap and obviously a good friend of Randy, hasn't really 'fit' with us as a club which is painfully obvious with our current predicament.

General,

When you (hopefully) go about the process of looking for a new manager, don't fall for the hype over all these foreign managers.

Yes, some foreign managers are very good (Mourinho anyone?) but foreign =/= better.

People like Moyes and Hughes don't seem to be as exciting as some fancy foreign name like Van Gaal or Riijkard etc but it doesn't make them any less worthy of managing our club.

I'm also sure a British manager wouldn't have disrespected the club in the same way that Houllier has (saying we're a 7th-12th place club, Liverpool love-in, Man City surrender.)

Thanks

TRS-T

Please dont think the views of people saying only a British manager should get the job reflect the views of the rest of us you were completely right to get a big name in with a proven track record. No disrespect to Houllier intended by discussing this but I think a proven manager would be much better than somebody purely because they are British. Now, Moyes would be the best of both worlds but Rikjaard/Hiddink/Van Gaal are bigger names than Hughes for a reason.

General Krulak here:

1. Obviously the entire Board is disappointed over this season...it has not been what we expected and it certainly is not what we wanted to give the fans. We will be evaluating our situation and will be taking action to ensure that we start next year on a positive note. As you might imagine, we certainly wanted to do that this year!! It has been a very strange year...but the time for excuses is long over. We just need to be ready next year.

2. If spending money was the single standard for where you end up in the League, we would be well up the table. The facts are pretty clear about what your Club has spent.

3. The Royal Wedding was absolutely superb!! Mrs K and I watched the entire thing...got up at dawn to see the festivities. We loved it. The couple could not have looked better...and the people who watched were great!

General Krulak here:

1. Obviously the entire Board is disappointed over this season...it has not been what we expected and it certainly is not what we wanted to give the fans. We will be evaluating our situation and will be taking action to ensure that we start next year on a positive note. As you might imagine, we certainly wanted to do that this year!! It has been a very strange year...but the time for excuses is long over. We just need to be ready next year.

General

Are you able to say what action will be taken ?

General, first of all I am glad Houllier is recovering. His health is more important than Villa right now but I would like to know what the plan is for my club. I'm going to be renewing my season ticket but what can I expect in the coming weeks? Is there a deadline for Houllier and Randy to make a decision on Gerard's future? I would hope the come full time against Liverpool we will know if Houllier will be our manager or not next season. If Houllier is to leave then I would expect McAllister to follow suit.

Should we need a new manager I would hope that he would be recruited less than 3 weeks after the season otherwise he will miss the majority of the chance to shape his own squad in the transfer window. We all know how vital this summer is and I just hope Randy Lerner is aware that we can't sit around and hope that everything will work out like we did last summer (I've no doubt Randy and Paul had a slight indication Martin O'Neill may have left in the summer). We can't afford to have a repeat of last summer because that almost got Aston Villa relegated!

I would just like to know before I pay for another season ticket what the club's plans are? When will we know who our manager is going to be for next season? Also do you expect to announce who the manager will be before the deadline for season ticket renewals is up? This will impact the decision of many as to whether we will buy another season ticket or not so I think out of loyal respect to the fans that we find out as early as possible who will be in charge of next season.

I bought my first ever season ticket last summer thinking this year we were going to either crack the top 4 or win a trophy. I'm only 19 years old and I gave £400 to my club, then 5 days later Martin O'Neill left and a week later and my favourite player (James Milner) was sold. Please don't allow a repeat this summer!

If Houllier is staying then announce it as soon as you know in a club statement! If he is considering leaving then please give him a deadline to decide (ideally prior to Aston Villa Vs Liverpool on the last day of the season). After the suffering we have all gone through this year with the FA Cup surrender, losing to Birmingham in the Carling Cup, losing to every Midland rival, being in a relegation scrap, having the players put in such awful performances and keep us in the dark when the National Media had a field day making us out to be a laughing stock, I would like to know ASAP what is happening next season. I want to be leaving Villa Park May 22nd knowing if Houllier will be here next season and if not, how long I need to wait to find out if I should renew my season ticket next season. Are deadlines and plans in place to ensure Aston Villa do not fall behind on yet another crucial summer?

Hi General,

When are the season ticket renewals being sent out ? Is it soon, as I need to take up the direct debit option this year as I've 2 holidays booked over the summer so moneys tight. I wanted to have It payed off by July but I've heard absolutely nothing from the club and worried it's going spill into August when I'm going to need every penny.

General - thanks for your two most recent posts it really does make me feel better that you and the the rest of the board have acknowledged that things need to be addressed ahead of next season. I have every faith that the 'right' moves will be made to ensure that we are a force again in the top flight of English football, and a good candidate to represent English teams on the continent. (I think the last 2 Europa Leagues we have been in, if we actually tried we could have won the damn thing, I genuinely believe that).

I know you know as well as we do, this season has been a disaster. From everybody's part. Including the fans. We were so negative when we should have been positive, but then, how could we be positive when we lose to Wolves and now West Brom, ending our 25ish years without losing to them. It had to come some time, but in the same season, when we are desperate for points as it is? Not cool lol.

I'm confident next season will be so much better, but there are going to have to be some massive changes in the summer to, not only win a small minority of doubters back, but to put us back to where we belong!

I am just going to go ahead and say that I am very thankful for the effort and contributions Randy and the board have made to help Aston Villa progress, and I think I speak on behalf of all Villa fans in that I am very proud to have our friends from the states in charge of our great club.

UTV

General what are your thoughts on the operation to take out Osama Bin Laden? Did you always think he would be eventually found? Were you surprised Pakistan weren't able to locate him on the doorstep of their own capital? And what's next for the struggle against al Qaeda?

3. The Royal Wedding was absolutely superb!! Mrs K and I watched the entire thing...got up at dawn to see the festivities. We loved it. The couple could not have looked better...and the people who watched were great!

Until now, I thought you were perfect General! As a man from a fully democratic republic, do you not find the idea of a monarchy strange is this day and age?

Kit Release Date:

I was in JD sports over the weekend and they had a list of all the kit release dates.

They had our away kit down as June 23rd release and home kit down as July 23rd.

This sounded unusual for us to have the kits released so early, and I think it has usually been the home kit that has been released first.

Can you confirm or deny these dates and schedules please.

2. If spending money was the single standard for where you end up in the League, we would be well up the table. The facts are pretty clear about what your Club has spent.

Hi General,

Firstly thanks for getting back to me it appreciated.

please use short links

please use short links

According to these website We have made 6.5 Million pounds this season although I am not sure if this has included all the add ons for Darrent Bent ect and we are in the bottom half of the table.

Where as the top 5 have a net spend of the following.

Mancherster United -13. 5 Million

Chelsea - 87 Million

Manchester City - 126 Million

Arsenal - 6.8 Milllon

Tottenham 17 .5 million

Although there have been other seasons where we have spent a lot of money and not broken in to the top 4. I think that the main reasons for teams constantly breaking in to the CL in the majority of cases is mainly due to money. Man city, Manchester united, Liverpool (third biggest net spending team in the PL) and Chelsea being prime example of this.

I think this is wrong which is why I am hoping the UEFA financial ruling will help to break this up as we are well managed financially.

Are you looking forward to this rule being introduced?

Keep up the great work. With your leadership and direction we stand a good chance of making it.

Up the Villa!

Cheers.