The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General, I suggest you read this comment by one of our senior players:

'It is a bit of a mess,' said Young, 'we need to know what we are doing, who is going to take the club forward and who is going to be making the decisions on which players stay and go.

'We need to know who is going to be in charge. Let's be honest, no-one knows what is happening.

Things are not good right now. Randy and co need to be decisive and need to make decisions as quickly as possible.

I want to edit and add to this:

I wholeheartedly back yourself and Randy. My anger and frustration are with those currently in charge who have made errors of judgement time and time again, the most recent that of McAllister suggesting that the season is over because we drew with Wigan.

The season should NEVER be over.

We are Aston Villa football club, we are one of the greatest teams to grace grounds across England and Europe, our name is synonymous with the birth of Football and with success in one of the greatest competitions in the world. We do not believe in giving up and our motto is prepared, how can we ever be prepared when people in management are giving up so easily?

When I wear anything Aston Villa related I feel pride and joy, when I am at Villa park I feel like it is the best place in the world. I want the management to respect and understand that we DO NOT GIVE UP. Even if we are losing 5-0 I do not want the team to sit back and take what is coming, I want us to fight to our last breath.

I do not believe the current management can install this in the players and because of this there is a massive lack of belief all through the ground, if this is not nipped in the bud it could easily destroy everything that has been built up over the last few years.

I have complete faith in yourself and the board to make the right decisions. I believe we can still be a major force. We just need to be just and ready to make the decisions NO MATTER WHAT. And we can move on as a unit and learn from this appalling season.

Hi General

Im sure you have lots to read through past couple of pages. Any thoughts on the issues?

What do you think to the comments made by Luke Young, does he have a valid point? (not sure what the source of the comments was though). Will just point out that I think Luke has been one of our best players this season along with Stewart Downing.

Looking forward to hearing your views on recent comments.

It is a rather damning interview General, for the full piece read:

Daily Mail

It shows it's not just us fans who think it. On a side note Luke Young must stay - he's exactly what this team needs and we would struggle to replace him. He MUST be given a new contract.

Also at the bottom of that article is some more about Heskey - I'm not allowed to leave work half way through the day or I'd be disciplined/ sacked. But then McAllister has said they're good friends so he's fine with it - so fine that he 'heard' he left at halftime - anyone would think he was the one supposed to be in charge.

We do not expect any answers from you General but please listen to everything going on. We can put an end to this but we need to be strong and direct. We'd appreciate some idea how you feel if possible, without giving too much information away.

many thanks.

General, doesnt reading this tripe day after day, after all your efforts and Randy's money, just make you want to shoot yourself in the head. It's not too late. You could cash out and bring your talent to Cleveland where everyone will worship you, support you as the professionals that you are for simply bringing a 3rd division soccer team to the city. Cleveland has had success again and again on the pitch but it never lasts due to unstable management. But now the US has a stable league in the form of MLS and the lower leagues that hope to feed into MLS. Randy and you could change Cleveland's soccer disappiontment by bringing a team to MLS, a league that is catching the world's attention due to it's superior management. If MLS is too much we'll be equally happy to start with USL or NASL, doesnt matter what league as our soccer teams always do well and I know they will move up. Bring what you know to the MLS and let these hacks go. You know the US fans are way more supportive, positive, and helpful. If you want a true world class football atmosphere, bring it on home to Cleveland, Ohio.

General..

This season hasn't been good enough at all.. I personally expected a top 8 finish which then we can go in to the summer transfer window with a signings and push on... but we are going backwards instead.

Rumours of Downing wanting out seem solid, even his team mate (L. Young) seems to be having worries of him leaving Villa.. Ash seems nailed on to leave.. we are going backwards, Yes i understand we have a wage bill to address but getting rid of the key players is not the way forward.

The defence has been a problem all season.. why hasn't anything been done to address this? no defensive coach (if there is please sack him), no recruitments in the Jan window regarding defenders..

Let's hope next season we really knuckle down and target silverware and a top 6 finish again.. fans are getting increasingly annoyed and rightly so.. Birmingham won the league cup despite us dominating them, We lost 6-0 to Newcastle, Worst Injury crsis this season, Players fighting amongst themselves, Being in the relegation zone.. a season to forget General.

I'm not sure whether Houllier will stay or not.. but please whatever you do just make sure we recruit a new defense coach.. I'm sure every Villa Fan will be happy with this decision despite who the manager is.

Thanks.

General

What a mess!

The causes are not all the fault of the board but they must take some of the blame.

The comments of Luke Young show the uncertainty is effecting the team and will effect the fans/sales of ST after such poor showing at recent games.

Act now

PS Don't employ that Spainish waiter that did so much to upset the Barry/Villa situation.

General,

Hope you are well.

I would just to like to say that the season ticket offer is amazing. The board have taken into account everything that a football fan wants on matchdays and what they want from a (if i use the right term) "brand."

Also I would like to say that I dont feel the board are responsible for the cause of this season. I blame lack of concentration from the 11 players on the pitch, making bad decisions in terms of general play, and lack of ideas from a manager and assistant. I know you appointed them, but these guys once upon a time were at the top of their sport, surely they know what they are doing and how to play the "beautiful game" in order to get results?

Keep up the good work General.

UTV!!

General,

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to why at the Villa golf day on Tuesday, for which I paid a substantial sum to bring along some very disappointed clients, there were none of the first team squad in attendance either to play golf or at the dinner. It was very disappointing and totally unacceptable.

I was told by a member of the coaching staff that the decision was made that the players would concentrate on football matters...... I would like to know who was coaching them as all the coaching staff were there!

Unfortunately I have been unable to voice my disappointment to the commercial dept as my calls dont seem to be getting through. Please feel free to PM if required.

Bully

The lack of respect and discipline as I highlighted above at the recent golf day is obviously clearly apparent in the first team squad also after Saturday's abysmal performance. There is a clear lack of discipline on and off the pitch and even senior players are stating that no one knows what is going on.

We lack leadership, and whilst we all wish Gerard a speedy and full recovery, someone needs to take the bull by the horns and sort out the mess now, we have a big summer ahead of us........................

PS Don't employ that Spainish waiter that did so much to upset the Barry/Villa situation.

I hope that not everyone who thinks our board has taken a 'nicey nice' approach think this about Benitez, he tried to take a player from us to make his Liverpool team better... This is where we should think, 'screw other teams, we want to make our team better and do what it takes'...

Benitez would be a fine choice if considered.

Evening General. First time posting in your thread. As I type Im watching Liverpool 3 nil up at Fulham 16 minutes in to the match, playing with confidence, swagger, direction. All this is happening at Liverpool due to the appointment of Kenny Dalglish and the parting of ways with a previous (good) manager who did `nt quite work out.

My point here is that sometimes managers fit perfectly with a club and sometimes they just don`t. A good manager that fits can work wonders with a team, get them playing the right way, bring out the best in a flagging team. I think most of us would agree that things have not worked with Gerard Houllier and his team with Aston Villa, its not working, it has`nt worked.

I wish GH all the best and a speedy recovery I also wish that for Aston Villa Football Club.

Thanks General.

8th January 2011:

Liverpool P20 25 points

Aston Villa P21 21 points

Liverpool appoint Kenny Dalglish to replace an under-performing manager.

Aston Villa stick with a manager who will never win over the fans.

9th May 2011:

Liverpool P36 58 points (a good chance of playing in Europe)

Aston Villa P36 42 points (still not certain to be playing premier league football).

General my question to you is which Board would you say made the right decision?

It's time for the Board to show some leadership and put the club back on track by appointing someone who understands the club (not who thinks the club belongs between 7th and 12th).

A very disappointed fan more so at the Board than Houllier - as you have the power to do something about it but haven't.

love this club to death general, but for god sake make a decision on the managerial situation ASAP as we really need to push on and put this mess behind us, the longer we leave it the messier it will become, sort it out!

Completely agree on above posts, dithering now on a manager will effect season ticket sales, we need a top manager to take us forward...also agree about those bells, keep expecting Trevor macdonald to make an announcement

agree too General, we need DYNAMIC leadership from the club's hierarchy!

I was all for giving GH a chance this summer but I feel it has now largely become yet another unmitigated disaster. For it to drag on another month is too long. Of Course we have to be mindful of Gerard but the club need to make an announcement as to whether he is staying on before the Liverpool game!

General,

I know a lot of people who wont be renewing there season tickets next year. I dont quite understand why the price has gone up when you consider the season we have had?!! but thats not the reason. If the club could just show a little intent before the season ends, im sure this may change. By this I mean getting rid of Houllier and that idiot McCallister and bringing in a new manager.

I know this isnt easy as im sure the process on hiring and firing is far more complicated than I could imagine but the club will suffer heavily if something isnt done soon.

How can we go into next season with Houllier? We cant have a manager at the helm who will be in and out of hospital when the pressure gets turned up. Regardless of his record with us (which is embarrassing) how can the club continue with a man with underlying health problems and another man (Gary Mac) who all the players hate? Luke Young (model Pro) has even come out recently and said nobody knows what the hell is going on at the club. So where does that leave the fans?

I dont blame the club for taking a punt on Houllier, his record is decent and some of the things he has tried to do at the club are commendable however the time to act is now. We cannot have a manager who isnt even fit and healthy enough to be on the touchline week in week out at the club.

I dont buy into all the people comparing us to Liverpool and saying how sacking hodgson and bringing in Dalglish was a great idea. I admire the way we have stuck by Gerard and at least given him a chance but with all the health problems coupled with the problems off the pitch, its time for him to go.

Please forward this general message to Randy. The last thing we need is a Villa park filled with only 30k people on a saturday.

P.s. You and Randy are the best things to have ever happened to our great club. Keep up the good work.

UptheVilla.

Hi General.

Will a decision be made out the management teams future before the ST deadline on June 15? I ask this General as I know at least 8 people who wont renew for next season If Houllier and GaryMc are still employed by AVFC and I'm sure there are 1000's more like them. I'm a sucker for punishment and will have a season ticket regardless of who's in charge as I just love the Villa as I have done since 1989 aged 11 when I first stood in the Holte End. However General there are many who don't think like me as our fans are very fickle and very passionate about the wrong doings at the club this season. With this in mind I can honestly see our attendances dropping to the late 20000's next season which will just make more of a mockery of the club and be very very embarrassing aswel as financial disaster for Randy.

All the best Gen and keep up the good work.

General Krulak here:

1. Obviously the entire Board is disappointed over this season...it has not been what we expected and it certainly is not what we wanted to give the fans. We will be evaluating our situation and will be taking action to ensure that we start next year on a positive note. As you might imagine, we certainly wanted to do that this year!! It has been a very strange year...but the time for excuses is long over. We just need to be ready next year.

I'm not sure that disappointed even gets remotely close to how the fans feel General, not even close. This season has been a total and utter shambles right from the close of last season and most worryingly the problems don't seem confined to the playing side of the club as some of the posts in this thread have indicated.

For 4 years following Randy's arrival it felt for the first time in many years we had genuine ambition, drive and more than anything else some sort of plan. Now? Now it feels like we a sell club having sold our best player two summers running with rumours abound that we could lose Ashley Young this summer.

It just feels like we are rudderless General and that we have been since O'Neill walked. I hold him accountable for many things but since the day he walked the club has been in disarray.

You say the time for excuses is over, I agree. It seems we've heard nothing other than excuses all season especially from our manager. I wish him the best of health and for the future but I hope his future lies away from Villa Park. Despite your previous claims that he was doing 'a remarkable job' and that we would finish closer to the top 4 and the bottom 3 come the end of the season neither of these things have come to pass.

Changes need to happen General and they need to happen as soon as the final ball of the season is kicked. At the moment the motto of Randy's era "Proud history, bright future" seems like it needs shortening a little.

I commend you for continuing to be on here during such difficult times, I hope the tough but correct decisions are made over the summer and the correct choices made this time so that this thread and being a Villa fan can return to being the positive things they were for the first 4 years under Randy's leadership.

Hi General,

I understand you can't comment on certain topics like Gerard Houllier, transfer targets etc. However, you are Randy Lerner's right hand man. You say that you tell him what the fans message to you so I hope you stay to your word and tell him this from me.

This summer Aston Villa are expected to make a statement of intent by doing better than we have done this season, this isn't enough. Next season should start the minute the full time whistle blows on May 22nd against Liverpool. Every single Aston Villa fan should be allowed to walk home from Villa Park, turn on their computers and read a club statement from Randy Lerner himself. This has been the worst season for Aston Villa since the Premier League began and with Houllier possibly leaving, Ashley Young and Stewart Downing expected to leave and the squad fighting with eachother, the management staff and now FA officials, we need Randy Lerner to do his job and sort it out!

Two years ago our star player (Gareth Barry) was sold by Randy Lerner. Last summer our star player (James Milner) was sold by Randy Lerner. This summer our star player (Ashley Young) will definately be sold by Randy Lerner. If that isn't bad enough it now seems that our player of the year (Stewart Downing) will also be leaving this summer. I understand that Randy Lerner is not a media person, he will not give regular quotes to the press, but when the season is over could you please ask him to make a club statement to tell all of us:

A) Who will be in charge next season

B) Will Ashley Young and Stewart Downing be staying or not?

C) Will he be investing in new players this summer?

D) What Aston Villa's aim is next season

E) What his main intentions are for Aston Villa

I say this because although he has done a steady job, he's improved many facilities, he's put a lot of money into the club and backed Houllier brilliantly by standing by him and signed Darren Bent for big money. Those things are all great, but it isn't enough. Randy Lerner needs to understand that with the season ticket prices he's just released, if he expects all of us fans to renew our current season tickets or buy a new season ticket then he needs to give us a reason to do so. We need to hear from him! Making a transfer signing is good but it's not enough to bring the fans to Villa Park. Randy is our chairman and it's his duty to speak to all of us whilst we are in this crisis to show some leadership, to keep the fans here and tell us what his ambitions are. Because no offense to him but with the performances being put in by the squad, with the useless management team he employed and the imminent sale of our star player (for the third summer in a row), he is looking like a spineless man hiding away from the mess he made this year whilst watching his bank balance increase from selling a star player each sumer and letting everything just unfold for us to sit, watch and moan about. I know he isn't that person (although he is doing a bloody good job making himself out to be) but he is not doing himself any favours by hiding away whilst the club has gone through its worst ever Premier League season. I'm bored of it!

I want to hear from him just like every single Aston Villa fan! So until Randy Lerner tells us all what his new plan is for Villa (because his original plan has clearly failed), who is in charge of the team next year (I suggest it isn't Gerard Houllier), what our targets for the team and club are next year and what we can expect to see this summer then nobody with two brain cells will consider giving him any money. As you have said, the board take the blame for this shocking year, for me it all lands at Randy's doorstep. He employed Houllier, McAllister and co, signed Stephen Ireland, sold James Milner and let the season unfold as it did. He has spent a large percentage of the season in America whilst we have been here from start to finish, so he is to blame. There are a lot of questions for him to answer! The players are now starting to ask the same questions too so he definately needs to speak up!

My question after all of this is simple. On the night of May 22nd, when this season is over, is Randy Lerner planning to make an official statement regarding next season? If not, then why not? Because a statement of intent from Randy is bloody well needed!!!

Disagree with SellyOak and Bauer about turning the bells off pre-game. They sound fantastic, at least they will do next season when it doesn't conjure up thoughts of this season.