The General's thread - do not respond to other posts!

TrentVilla

General it really is time for you and Randy to go.

Nahhh, just kidding. This is just to let you know that not all of us are pessimistic about the summer, transfers out, and the potential transfers in. crap season and the reasons for it need to be addressed. But i think players need to be sold and a new manager (or Houllier) needs to bring his players in - his type of players.

General, I know some on here think I am disrespecful but that doesn't actually bother me, and I am sure it doesn't bother you from your past comments.

Any road up, given the 5 years of Randy ownership has nearly arrived and given the state of the club is in a state of 'flux' do you not think it is incumbent upon Randy, as the club'custodian' to start communicating to us 'punters' rather than hide behind an almost anonymous CEO and your posts on websites? I know you keep saying he doesn't like the publicitybut sorry General it comes as part of the job!

AVFC since 1874 where are we now?

General

It has emerged today that Bent will consider his future at the Club if both Ash and Downing are sold!! I really feel that Aston Villa are standing on the edge of a precipice now and if our continued exodus of our best players continue year after year then we will be very soon over the edge!! are we in crisis yet?? maybe not but its bloody close to it.

Randy and the board have reached a fork in the road and the choices made this Summer regarding investment and our Managerial situation could define our medium to long term future as a club.

You have many times spoken on behalf of Randy with regards to his long term goal of making Villa a successful club but the time for words alone has gone, Randy needs to make a personal and public statement to the Fans to reassure us that his plan for the Club has not changed.

I hope you realise that as the Villa faithful we have been through hell this year and i for one do not want to watch our great club being stripped of its major assets this summer while being constantly reassured by yourself and PF that Villa is doing everything they can to drive us forward.

Why do you also refuse to set a deadline or date that important issues will be resolved by?? Manager,Kit Release etc?? if GH's health issues are not resolved by the end of next week for example, then the Club MUST make the choice themselves!!

I dearly hope you take my comments on board and don't see them as me having a go at yourself and Randy! its just that i and many Villan's are getting extremely worried about the direction that our Great Great Club is going in.

General,

If Bent where to leave aston villa this summer it would be an absolute travisty.. rumours like this are beginning to fly around and the club needs to make an immediate statement (next week) on whats happening...

General,

I've been a season ticket holder and a very loyal villian since the 90's when I was able to afford one after starting work. I attend all but 2/3 away per season every season. I attend pre-season games home/away and have travelled into Europe to watch us play. I've just renewed my season ticket again even though I don't want Houllier as our manager - I'll always support this club no matter what !! However today I've decided ( and I hope it is just paper talk ) If Bent leaves the club after less than half a season I'll be returning my season ticket and WILL NOT return to Villa park until Randy has sold up and your all gone !!

Again I hope this is just the papers talking rubbish and I apologise for my rant if it is as I shouldn't be getting carried away, but this is how I feel at the moment as we (the fans) haven't got a fcking clue what's going on and were fast becoming a big of a joke as the tramps in Small heath.

Dear General,

I just wanted to leave a simple note to show how I feel, and speak for many of my Villan friends:

If Houllier stays, and Bent leaves, I will despair.

One is a fool, the other a genius. Please get rid of the fool and keep hold of the genius.

You know where we are going as a club.

Bolg

General Krulak here:

1. It has been exactly one week since we played our last game...I believe we won it...as well as the game before. In that one week, some of you have gone from happy to in despair. Randy and the Board have been accused of "dithering" (again), and questions abound about all sorts of players and our Manager.

Once again, the complaints and moans of "the Club not communicating" begin. Does it ever cross anyone's mind that not everything printed in the media should be taken as the gospel?

Does it ever cross anyone's mind that we just may be in some delicate discussions across a gamut of issues and that now is NOT the time for wholesale communications on those issues? Can anyone honestly say that when the Club has made its decision (good or bad in a Fan's opinion) that we haven't been quick to announce that decision?

I have now posted on this site for over 4 years and I have tried to make it clear that YOUR Club is NOT going to conduct its business in the media...we just aren't. We are going to conduct our business as professionals and will do our very best to do what is right for the Club. Will we always be spot on? Probably not. What we will do is our best...and we will do it w/o making a public spectacle of it.

So please, please, settle down. Let the people who have to make the decisions, make the decisions. We WILL keep you informed...but to do so during the decision making phase is simply not a wise thing to do. The idea that someone from the Club is going to make a statement as to "where the Club will be going" at this moment in time is simply not wise. The best and only statement that can be made is that we are going to do what is right for our Club and that as soon as decisions are made, the Fans will know it.

As for the rumors and gossip in the media, just remember, they are out to sell newspapers. There is a HUGE difference between a rumor and a fact. We will get you the facts as they are decided. PLEASE REMEMBER, at the very least, Randy has a good deal of his life and resources tied up in this Club. I was with him this past week...he is Villa through and through. He is committed to the Villa and to what it means to the Fans and what it stands for in the League. Give the man a chance!

Thanks General, not all of us are as you have described however. Myself and various other fans appreciate Randy and the board and all he has done for us and realise that big decisions like this take time and it is best not to be communicated every step of the way. I don't want our dirty laundry being aired in public (as much as is possible anyway) so I appreciate the discretion.

This being said, many of us are just impatient and want a clear sign from the club as to which direction we are headed. We all care so much for the club and naturally we would all like to know the ins and outs. I trust the club will divulge information as soon as decisions have been made, but a week is a long time for impatient football fans ;).

Thanks again. Semper fi, sir.

General Krulak here:

1. Ginko, I am not sure what a "clear sign" would entail? I would think that Randy's willingness to splash cash at every window is some indication of a clear sign of where he wants the Club to go. I would think that Randy's willingness to splash cash to make Villa Park a jewel in the Premiership would be a clear sign of what he wants the Club to be. I would think that the money he has put towards our players (Bodymoor Heath) is a clear sign of his belief that facilities do matter in the health of the players. I would think that Randy's purchase of a house a short distance from Bodymoor Heath and the fact that he is at almost every game, home and away, is a clear sign of his PERSONAL desire for the Club to be counted as one of the best and most successful Clubs in the league...and a clear sign that his heart and soul is with the Club.

General, I for one appreciate the time you spend on this forums and fully understand yourself or the club are not going to announce anything until it is ready to be announced.

As someone from a far who no longer lives in Brum could you answer me this question. Do the reserves and U18 play the same formation, pattern of play and style as the first team?I'm just wonder does GH have them doing that so if someone can step up already knowing what is expected of them. Just wondering if it was club policy or not.

General, I think sometimes us Villa fans are our own worst enemy. We want the best for Villa but we also want it now. We also have the fact that half the Villa fans didnt want Houllier from the beginning and unfortunately due to the start of the season we had with him and his subsequent absence from the game, a few on the fence have fell to the 'wanting out' category. We also see the other clubs in the premiership getting bigger and better, and thus moving away from where we are now. We unfortunately have lost our two best players in the last two years and potentially losing Young now as well, and yes only rumours but a few remarks from Downing have caused some heartache at the potential of losing him.

I have every faith in Randy and believe everything you say about him and what he wants from the club. I understand we are in a different league to the Man City and Chelsea's of this world. My only hope is we have a solid summer where the managerial situation gets sorted quickly, either he stays or goes and if he goes is replaced quickly but a quality manager. Then hopefully not losing too many key players and acquiring one or two quality additions, and go into pre-season and the the full season prepared. That is my only hope, and I believe Randy's aim is the same. I understand life doesnt work out always as we want it and he doesnt have control of everything but I think he will want the same. That's why I have confidence and faith in him. I just hope we have a little more luck on our side than we have for the last 12 months

Unfortunately, General, the format of this thread disproportionately lends itself to complaints. The vast majority are very much behind the chairman, but since we are not allowed to post unless there is a question attached, it is very easy for people to register their displeasures by asking 'why, where, when and how' the club is going to do something, and far less easy to say 'we support Randy and are grateful for his actions', since such posts are frequently deleted without some perfunctory question shoehorned onto the end.

On which note, how was Obama's state visit to the UK received over the pond, and do you think his standing is significantly stronger than it was a couple of months ago?

hear hear...

its important for us all to step back every now and then and acknowledge the bigger picture... one of the many dangers of the internet and having time to ponder what we read, is that there is a tendency to extrapolate from a relatively minor statement to something that gains a life on its own and when looked at objectively, may not make the best of sense...

good to have you back on board, general and all the best to you, randy and the board over what are likely to be a key few weeks for the club.

Good morning USA. I think it's probably safe to post while there is an outbreak of commonsense happening, I'll be quick because it won't last! Do you share my excitement about next season? There's less than three months to go! Best wishes to Randy and please tell him to get a well earned rest at some stage, because we don't want him keeling over as well. UTV!!!!

I think it's very clear that randy is villa through and through and actually I don't think there's many on here general who claim he isn't. However passion and caring doesn't guarantee success and I think its perfectly acceptable, given the last 12 months, to be concerned about the decisions being made at this club.

At the end of the day Randy made decisions that played a part in what's been a pretty awlful season. I think most of us believe Randy will make decisions he feels will be the best for our club but also some of us are concerned that it will be the wrong decisions.