Signed: Darren Bent £18m rising to £24m with add on's

dudevillaisnice

On this momentous day the other Bent , Marcus leaves Blues for Sheffield United . I just find it all a little surreal this little old Villa eh :lol:

Just checking - You don't know to any surprises do you?

I have a little snippet for the summer one not a wind up but nobody will get to hear about that ( SO DO NOT PM ME PLEASE ) one as there are other events to unfold not of our making . Say anymore and people think cocky b......d but it could be a good one

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have any of you genuinely watched Darren Bent carefully for a series of games? And if so, are you pleased with this deal?

Yes and yes.

I haven't seen much of him, other than the usual MOTD highlights and Villa V Sunderland games.

I've heard quite a few people say that he's not the best footballer and that he is poor on the ball.. BUT to be honest I'm not too bothered by that.

If it was a choice between having a striker who is good on the ball but can't score, a striker who is good on his day but has them as often as his birthday, a striker who is lightning quick but is poor at finishing OR a player who is an excellent finisher but isn't the most skillful on the ball... it's be Darren Bent every time.

We have enough players around him to give him the service to smash them into the net that we shouldn't be worried about the concerns that Sunderland fans have had, imo.

Also, the fact that he's been out of form this year and has still scored more than all of our strikers is a plus in itself. (I also think that the reason that he has been out of form is due to a lack of confidence, which could be put down to the fact that he's not been enjoying his time up north lately (racist abuse/ car damage etc).

I'm fairly confident that he'll come here, we'll build the team around him and he'll smash in the goals! I'm also confident that he can get back to his 1 goal per 2 games ratio!!! (I might be being too optimistic.. but that's me! :D)

Just when I thought Villa were incapable of exciting me under Gerard Houllier. It's a very clever signing, despite the money (or because of it). It tells the fans Ged is staying and to get behind him. It gives the fans a huge boost regardless. And it should give the players a boost to see that we can compete for the best players. Great stuff.

Have any of you genuinely watched Darren Bent carefully for a series of games? And if so, are you pleased with this deal?

Yep.

he's not playing that well this season, but still has 8 league goals in 20 appearances.

Gyan, who many are saying is much better, has 7 in 19 appearances.

And that's with Bent "not playing well".

The fee is huge, too much. But in terms of the player we're getting, i'm very happy.

Four of Bent's league goals are from the penalty spot.

Gyan has made 19 appearances but 11 of those are from the bench when he first signed and was settling in.

All 20 of Bent's appearances are starts, and 19 of those games he finished.

Make no mistake about it, Bent is "not playing well".

Gyan has five assists in three months. Bent has one assist in 18 months.

£18m smacks of desperation and I think we've had your pants down here.

just out of interest how does his goal scoring record compare to lets say Rooney or Drogba over a select period, I suspect he doesnt come close at all and it may be difficult to look up the figure.

My two favourite quotes on that Sunderland forum:

Villa fans have had a bee in their bonnet about Bent for years (they think they should have signed him when he went to Charlton, Spurs and us), Villa strikers are currently firing blanks, we get linked with Owen, so therefore in the minds of idiots on messageboards Bent to Villa.

They forget that we would not sell him to Villa, Villa would not offer enough to sign him, Villa are struggling against relegation and we are fighting to get into Europe, that Houllier has said a couple of days ago that Villa won't sign a striker in this window and the fact it would just leave us with Gyan as our only fit striker and even he has a knock.

and

WTF has went on?
:lol:

just out of interest how does his goal scoring record compare to lets say Rooney or Drogba over a select period, I suspect he doesnt come close at all and it may be difficult to look up the figure.

what period did you have in mind?

Villa fans have had a bee in their bonnet about Bent for years (they think they should have signed him when he went to Charlton, Spurs and us), Villa strikers are currently firing blanks, we get linked with Owen, so therefore in the minds of idiots on messageboards Bent to Villa.

They forget that we would not sell him to Villa, Villa would not offer enough to sign him, Villa are struggling against relegation and we are fighting to get into Europe, that Houllier has said a couple of days ago that Villa won't sign a striker in this window and the fact it would just leave us with Gyan as our only fit striker and even he has a knock.

and

WTF has went on?

Last one :crylaugh:

As villatilidie so correctly said - for once we have finally bought someone to do nothing other than finish the chances we do create. Assists are for everyone else to worry about.

As villatilidie so correctly said - for once we have finally bought someone to do nothing other than finish the chances we do create. Assists are for everyone else to worry about.

Exactly.

what period did you have in mind?

Unsure, I dont know lets say since August 2005

and

WTF has went on?

i like the bee in d bonnet one, i have wanted bent for years to be honest

Yep.

he's not playing that well this season, but still has 8 league goals in 20 appearances.

Gyan, who many are saying is much better, has 7 in 19 appearances.

And that's with Bent "not playing well".

The fee is huge, too much. But in terms of the player we're getting, i'm very happy.

Four of Bent's league goals are from the penalty spot.

Gyan has made 19 appearances but 11 of those are from the bench when he first signed and was settling in.

All 20 of Bent's appearances are starts, and 19 of those games he finished.

Make no mistake about it, Bent is "not playing well".

£18m smacks of desperation and I think we've had your pants down here.

Can understand your views and respect it got no beef with Sunderland and probably in the minority as I like Steve Bruce decent bloke and decentish manager ! But signing Bent is good business for Villa sends a statement out its like when Spurs were in trouble and paid heavy to get the likes of Palicious in. Kid is 26 proven at this level and this will be the signing that shows existing and potential players we are serious !

and

WTF has went on?

I did enjoy them all quoting in shock some fella called Caulkin, and then about three pages later someone wrote 'who the **** is Caulkin?'