• Downing
    • A Young
    • Petrov
    • Reo-Coker
    • Agbonlahor
    • Heskey
    • Albrighton (for Petrov 88)
    • Bannan (for Reo-Coker 88)

So much to disagree with here, so little motivation to type.

Firstly, we played pretty good considering Sunderland were very effective on closing players down quickly and not giving any players time to look up and pick a pass. But there were some horrid head-shaking moments:

* Every time Cuellar overlapped in the first half and got into space heading towards the line he would stop and go backwards - extremely frustrating when all he had to do was run into the penalty area, cross it and it would cause them problems.

* All of the players don't seem to know what to do. They absolutely are desperate to win, hence the altercations going on all game. They're just low on confidence and are trying too hard. They're used to playing very direct and are confused because they're obviously under instruction to attempt to keep possession more rather than just drive on.

Heskey was an animal today. He was really fired up and just boiled over. But about 5 minutes before he got sent off, Bramble fouled him, which was definitely worth a yellow. Once the ref had realised it would be a sending off he changed his mind (you could see his hand move away from his pocket) and told him off instead.

Which brings me onto the ref. What a complete and utter idiot. The whole ground was singing 'you're not fit to referee' which was quite fitting because out of any of them recently he's been the worst. Utterly, utterly inept. Where do we get them from?

The onslaught at the end. I thought it was great. The final ten mins after Zenden walked we stuck all the big lads in their box, and had Ashley Young dropping it onto their heads. It was route 1 but it was effective and almost got us something at the end.

Houllier should have made subs earlier, and should have realised quickly that Gabby on the wing wasn't working.

Downing was superb in the first half and most of the 2nd. Him and Heskey were our best players. Petrov had a shocker. Collins did very well against Bent, who is absolutely brilliant.

A light push in the face these days doesn't usually result even in a yellow card (though it should), never mind a red. Once again **** over by the referee.

There's not much point in even having 22 players on the pitch, when the referee and his minions seem to decide the result in about half the Premier league matches. I think we've definitely been on the losing side of these decisions time after time this season, making it almost impossible to stop the poor run, no matter who the manager or the players on the pitch. And it's not just about Villa, it's also completely ruining any enjoyment watching the other games as a neutral football fan for me.

Today I could not see Sunderland scoring until that decision, Villa maybe. And while everyone focuses on Houllier, I'm still thinking we're more likely to get relegated if we sack him now. I didn't really want him as the manager when he signed, but I'm still willing to give him time and believe he will at least get us into mid-table safety. That is, unless the supporters turn on the team.

It's got to be bad when the player who missed a sitter and got sent off was the MOTM by a country mile. We had nothing with him off. Disgusted with the amount we gave the ball away, and seemingly refused to run at Sunderland. Sunderland were awful, so to lose we must be beyond awful. The subs were way too late...Houlier got a lot of stick on his way out, the players looked furious, especially Nige. Friedal just looked distraught, as did Ash

Highlight of the season?

Ash and Bannan at Cb :|

Ha yeh I'm sure Houlier would call them sweepers and Randy quarterbacks though...

Well what can you say about that - really summed up in two words..... Absolutely disgraceful !!!!!

I just don't know where to start

Heskey - well clearly MotM by a bloody mile, but still the best and worst of him. Works his absolute socks off, looks like he is the only one who gives a shit - but then misses two open goals and gets a stupid sending off - meaning he misses the next three games !

Young - the guy has done absolutely jack shit for the Villa for 8 months - is it written in his contract he has to play up front - coz that decision (obviously there are others - but this one in particular) is going to get us relegated. You might as well play Salifou up there !

The sub - Albrighton - should have been made after 55 minutes - and Houllier must be totally incompetant not to see that.

Gabby - if you play Salifou up front, we might as well go and rebuy Djemba Djemba and put him on the wing - coz he'd be better than Gabby thats for sure.

I could go on - but there is no need. It was an utter disgrace, and thats it for me with Gerard - I started the thread who is to blame. Well I still don't know - but who-ever it was - we should NEVER be in this position and it is down to him we are.

And I sang it - it it needed singing !

We were shit, I didn't join in with the singing (the two little inbred chavs next to me did which says something...) but we were still shit and Houllier should go because it is obvious the players and fans are against him. He is fighting a losing battle.

Can't believe they didn't show Gyan's miss on MOTD. The time he had to either square it or take it round/slide it past Freidel makes it worse than Heskey's miss for me.

Anybody want this **** badge shit?

Am I the only person who thinks we didn't play that bad??

The difference between the two sides was Heskey missing a sitter and a wonder strike by Phil bloody Bardsley.

Yep, same here. Me and my mate were listening to WM in the car with all the wound-up callers and we were looking at each other confused, wondering how they could slate us so much when we didn't play that bad.

Good performances don't get you points though.

Petrov was the worst player on the park. He is an absolute cancer to the way we play. If we play it short, you have to play it quickly, turning and playing the ball backwards just slows the play down, allowing them to get in position, one bank of 4, a second of bank of 5 and we do not have the talent to be able to penetrate a fully organised team. Petrov should never start at home, he just lacks the intensity and drive that Reo-Coker has. He can't even last 90 minutes FFS. He was just non-existent today. Pathetic performance. I'm all for him starting away from home, just not at VP.

Am I the only person who thinks we didn't play that bad??

The difference between the two sides was Heskey missing a sitter and a wonder strike by Phil bloody Bardsley.

Yep, same here. Me and my mate were listening to WM in the car with all the wound-up callers and we were looking at each other confused, wondering how they could slate us so much when we didn't play that bad.

You were confused that angry Villa fans were phoning up a radio station after yet another loss and after we'd slipped into the relegation zone and 1 point off rock bottom?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dear christ, praise the lord :shock: .

Refrained from posting in this until I cooled down. We lost to an absolutely magnificent goal to be honest. Aside from being shit in the interim, we are obviously a team who have no confidence right now, not used to being in this position, it's an absolute shambles to be honest. At this point i'd even bring all the old players back..even Curtis Davies etc. I could never see this happening with Ollie or Laursen etc here.... it's pathetic. We are Aston Villa FFS! Whilst not the top team we are, and have been undoubtedly one of the top teams in this league for as far as I can remember. Houllier really let me down tonight, but in one sense I also really do feel sorry for the man, he is under immense pressure and they were probably even so nervous they were scared to change anything. However....Gabby playing on left wing of all places?lol. Albrighton and Bannan in the 88th minute? WTF? He reverted to some MON type tactics, just only worse. I really hate to really call for his head....if we were mid-table I probably wouldn't...but if I see this team get relegated it will hurt until no end. I'm at a crossroads...I don't know if I should have patience or back him at all anymore....for some reason it just seems like he doesn't fit in with this club. Not that he's a bad man, or a bad manager...just doesn't seem to be the right man for AVFC. I'm **** distraught, embarassed, dissappointed. SHIT!

However, I love the way Ashley always shows fight and desire, for all his bad qualities I can commend him on that.

Who is going to want to joing this sinking ship right now?! I'm not saying I miss MON, but maybe someone who is a mix of MON and Houllier is best. MARTIN JOL just may be the answer I feel.

Let's see what happens tommorow though, calm down though folks.

UTV!

Most of us real Villa fans have been through this before, and whilst not ideal.... I also just don't know if sacking the manager is the right thing to so right now.

what a load of garbage! we are in serious trouble! is it just me but i thought gabbys performance today was one of the worst ive seen in a villa shirt! i know he prefers playing as striker but even when he's played there this season he has been poor!

I'm 26 and I've been a season ticket holder for 17 years. I can honestly say that I have NEVER felt so depressed about Villa. Even the shocker we had under 'The Turnip' in 2002-03 didn't get me down this much. It's that bad I had second thoughts about going to the game but after a few minutes I reassured myself that we'd be ok... WRONG!

Houllier simply has to go. I wasn't very happy when he was appointed but I was willing to give him a chance. Granted we've been hit badly by injuries over the last few months but there is absolutely no excuse for his shocking tactics. We can't even pull the injury excuse anymore anyway as the majority are back now. Does anyone know if Randy was in attendance tonight? Surely to god he can't continue to back Houllier after all these terrible results. We need to sort this mess out NOW! 21 games in and we are 1 point off the bottom and in the relegation zone for the first time in 7 years.

I was speaking to Ian Taylor earlier. I said to him "Tayls can you please reassure me that we will not get relegated as I'm starting to get really worried now" His response was "I wish I could"

I know there's still half a season left to go but in the words of Fergie... It's squeaky bum time!

Â