Would you vote for a Safe Standing Area at Villa Park?

Villarocker

Safe Standing Area(s) at VP  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing Area(s) at VP

• Yes - Jump Around if You Love Villa
    • No - sit down, shut up
    • "Wevs" - I only watch on the telly

MON's XI made a comment in the General's thread with regards to a bill being passed through parliament to see if we can get safe standing areas introduced at stadia in this country.

How many Villa fans would vote for this to happen at Villa Park?

I for one would love to see this happen and I am sure that many others would too. It would help create a much better atmosphere and give an alternative match day experience, especially to those who are too young to have ever had the chance to stand (legally) at a football match.

It would be interesting to see what kind of numbers would want safe standing at Villa Park. Quite a lot I would imagine! :)

The Westfalenstadion in Dortmund has the largest terrace in Europe, holding 24,454 fans for matches in Germany's Bundesliga. For European games (standing is banned in Uefa competitions) seats are installed, which takes a couple of days. Schalke, who play in Gelsenkirchen, also have a terrace that has a barrier on each step in which flip seats are installed. The barriers prevent crushing. It means more fans can get into grounds and the clubs charge lower prices – it costs £7.50 to stand at a Schalke game.

We wouldn't have to install seats for Uefa competitions, that's a plus.

Absolutely yes. I watched the ten minute bill in Parliament live yesterday and it would be FANTASTIC news if this was passed.

It was also debated on Radio Five Live earlier this morning.

Those who say no, could you give a valid reason?

As far as I'm concerned there is no valid reason, there would be safe standing areas and seating areas so if you don't want to stand you don't have too.

I regularly go to the Rugby when I can't go to VP, down at Gloucester. One of the stands at Gloucester is called the Shed, I've been in it many a time. The shed is all standing, and it is 10x better than sitting in a seat.

Obviously there are serious health and safety precautions that would need to be taken in football, but I would love it, love it if we did this and has a standing area. It really adds something to supporting I think.

Absolutely yes. I watched the ten minute bill in Parliament live yesterday and it would be FANTASTIC news if this was passed.

As far as I'm concerned there is no valid reason, there would be safe standing areas and seating areas so if you don't want to stand you don't have too.

That's why I posed the question mate, because there IS no valid reason.

Exactly, some moron commented on a FSF (Football Supporters Federation) post on face book that the families of the Hillsborough victims would be against it but this is simply not true their not they understand what happened and have seen how the German model works, now if these people aren't against the idea then who except for the money men in football (because standing would be cheaper) can have a valid reason?

Exactly, some moron commented on a FSF (Football Supporters Federation) post on face book that the families of the Hillsborough victims would be against it but this is simply not true their not they understand what happened and have seen how the German model works, now if these people aren't against the idea then who except for the money men in football (because standing would be cheaper) can have a valid reason?

Exactly. It works in other countries without any problems whatsoever and it also works out for people who don't like to stand and sing at the football.

I'm really pleased that this is being raised now - because I understand the FSF have put in a lot of hard work to get it this far.

I think it would make sense economically from the clubs point of view. Yes, tickets are half the price, but you sell twice as many (or at least that's the plan). You then have more people to flog pies, programs, shirts etc to. Also, advertising and sponsorship revenues from inside thr ground should go up. Sky would probably be against as there is more chance of people going to the ground rather than staying hope to watch on TV.

Exactly. It works in other countries without any problems whatsoever and it also works out for people who don't like to stand and sing at the football.

I'm really pleased that this is being raised now - because I understand the FSF have put in a lot of hard work to get it this far.

I know Brigada 1874 aren't everyone's cup of tea but i've proposed to other members of the group that we should make a large banner to be flown at games echoing our support for the FSF campaign and urging the club to back it.

Yes, you could make the Holte lower all standing and we could get villa park rocking again.

I had one game in the terraces before they took them away and i can still remember how much i loved it (even though i did get covered in someones pie and pint when we scored)

So bring the terraces and the atmosphere back!!!

Being 24, I never really got to experience terracing before it was outlawed.

Could someone explain how it would work?

Would you still get a designated spot to stand in, or would it be a free for all?

Â