Would you vote for a Safe Standing Area at Villa Park?

Villarocker

Safe Standing Area(s) at VP  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing Area(s) at VP

• Yes - Jump Around if You Love Villa
    • No - sit down, shut up
    • "Wevs" - I only watch on the telly

When we beat Sheffield Utd 5-1 at home in 1975, me & my mates at the back of the Holte End, insanely celebrating a brilliant goal by Chico Hamilton  found ourselves almost down behind the goal some 30 seconds later still wildly celebrating. That's what it was like in those days. Everybody went crazy & you could easily find yourselves 30 or 40 Yds away from your normal standing position after being swept away by the madness & excitement of the crowd. Wonderful days.

Being born in 91, I was never able to experience standing either. This experience sounds crazy though, so far removed from football stadiums today, somewhat brings images of being in crowds at gigs to mind. If they can allow 2000 fans to be pressed openly against a single barrier at a gig, there isn't a doubt in my mind that the safe standing option would pose any risk to crowds. It's probably safer than seats even as it creates a taller divide between fans, especially if fans are standing in seating areas anyway, ie. upper Holte or anywhere in Villa Park when a goal in scored.

It's the perfect model but any suggestion of standing will be quashed by the media and overly negative commentators who have rarely even stepped foot in a football stadium and think things are still like 1989. 

When we beat Sheffield Utd 5-1 at home in 1975, me & my mates at the back of the Holte End, insanely celebrating a brilliant goal by Chico Hamilton  found ourselves almost down behind the goal some 30 seconds later still wildly celebrating. That's what it was like in those days. Everybody went crazy & you could easily find yourselves 30 or 40 Yds away from your normal standing position after being swept away by the madness & excitement of the crowd. Wonderful days.

Being born in 91, I was never able to experience standing either. This experience sounds crazy though, so far removed from football stadiums today, somewhat brings images of being in crowds at gigs to mind. If they can allow 2000 fans to be pressed openly against a single barrier at a gig, there isn't a doubt in my mind that the safe standing option would pose any risk to crowds. It's probably safer than seats even as it creates a taller divide between fans, especially if fans are standing in seating areas anyway, ie. upper Holte or anywhere in Villa Park when a goal in scored.

It's the perfect model but any suggestion of standing will be quashed by the media and overly negative commentators who have rarely even stepped foot in a football stadium and think things are still like 1989. 

The authorities are just killjoys & totally out of touch with the real world. Pray they don't get wind of the gigs you attend otherwise they will insist that you sit alone in silence to avoid noise polution & drink small sips of natural spring water every 4 hours.

As for the big `H`? Be very worried my friend because some dangerous civil servant somewhere will ram a capsule up your arse because they'll think that the word on the street is that H is for Heamorrhoids ;)

ps - Don't buy any T shirts at that concert - that will really blow their minds! :)

There was nothing wrong with Villa Park before all seating was introduced...The Holte End was amazing fun then too. I'd bring back standing to all of the ground if I could, just like it use to be.

Is it a case of looking back with rose tinted glasses. Never remember it being all standing. I think the witton Lane stand was built before the world cup in 66, guess that might have been standing before that. The trinity road was half and half.

It was really before my time but I believe the old Holte end was a safe terrace. It had clear gangways after the crush barriers and was well maintained. Of the terrible football disasters that have occured in  post war British football perhaps you could only say Burnden Park was directly due to the terrace collapsing. Ibrox was a stairwell collapse, Bradford due to a wooden stand and Hillsborough due to poor crowd management and fencing. Sorry to be a bit morbid.

• Like 1

It was really before my time but I believe the old Holte end was a safe terrace. It had clear gangways after the crush barriers and was well maintained. Of the terrible football disasters that have occured in post war British football perhaps you could only say Burnden Park was directly due to the terrace collapsing. Ibrox was a stairwell collapse, Bradford due to a wooden stand and Hillsborough due to poor crowd management and fencing. Sorry to be a bit morbid.

That's not morbid mate, its point put very well.

There isn't quite the voting option for me, I'd vote for a standing area as I get people would like it. And it is much safer nowadays.

Though personally I'd rather use the seats.

I would suggest that the reason the premier league has become the most popular league in the world to watch is because it was the first league with all seater stadiums.

It pioneered the 'family friendly' atmosphere which massively increased the number of people interested. A number of other top leagues (Italy especially) are still yet to modernise and catch up and are dying a slow death because of it.

I like the idea of a safe standing area for fans who want it but also I think the all seated stadiums had a positive effect on the game when they were introduced.

• Like 1

Yes, I would vote in favour of a safe standing area....provided THEY would use it.

It would then enable older supporters like me to sit comfortable, watch the game for which I have paid handsomely for and not be up and down like a "whores draws" draws stretching my hamstrings.

Folk going to the match knowing they are obliged to sit down and are defiantly intent on standing and have no consideration for other fans infuriate me.

It's this I'm alright jack **** you attitude that causes trouble.

Oh we'll...I've started it now.

Yes, I would vote in favour of a safe standing area....provided THEY would use it.

It would then enable older supporters like me to sit comfortable, watch the game for which I have paid handsomely for and not be up and down like a "whores draws" draws stretching my hamstrings.

Folk going to the match knowing they are obliged to sit down and are defiantly intent on standing and have no consideration for other fans infuriate me.

An interesting point TRO and one I'd genuinely like you to expand on. How many standing occurrences are acceptable in front of you during the course of a 90 minute match?

An interesting point TRO and one I'd genuinely like you to expand on. How many standing occurrences are acceptable in front of you during the course of a 90 minute match?

...when my thighs are bigger than the players....I think enough

Seriously, it depends how good the game is or if its a good looking lady disrupting me.

That's blown my bloody arguement now hasn't it.

...when my thighs are bigger than the players....I think enough is enough.

Seriously, it depends how good the game is or if its a good looking lady disrupting me.

That's blown my bloody arguement now hasn't it.

Just to have a choice would be nice. I reckon the vast majority like to seat but some would like to stand- probably 80-20 on a average match I would say. Its far more dangerous at present to have persistent standing in seated areas. People can fall over and hit the seats below them when a goal is scored as there  is no crush barriers. I have been to league one/two matches in which there are areas in seated sections which people stand even though there is terracing at other parts of the ground. That is just daft. You also get a guilt complex by standing too much as you may hinder other peoples viewing if they like to sit. Older chaps and kids and such like. The premier league only idea to this so far it to stick two fingers in their ears, give out less away tickets or even lower capacities in stands. We just seem unable to have sensible discussion over this.

The premier league don't have a lot of options available to them. It is currently against the law to allow fans to stand in the ground at matches.

Only in the top 2 flights. League 1 and 2 you can. Rugby league you can. Rugby Union you can. Makes no sense- take Peterborough United. If they had stayed up they would have had to build 2 new seated stands. Now they get relegated it is deemed safe. Baffling.

Can't believe 22 folks have voted for "sit down & shut up!"  :o  So you'd rather sit & watch a game with no atmosphere in the stadium?

At least I'd be able to watch the game. I'd be fine with a section of the ground being used for standing as long as it didn't obstruct anyone's view.

Â