Would you vote for a Safe Standing Area at Villa Park?

Villarocker

Safe Standing Area(s) at VP  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing Area(s) at VP

• Yes - Jump Around if You Love Villa
    • No - sit down, shut up
    • "Wevs" - I only watch on the telly

Hell Yes

Only problem I see is that these safe standing areas really don't lend themselves to a good old 'knees up mother brown'

Those old enough will know what I mean

Yes I remember well. I think its worth pointing out that it would be doubtful 'terracing' would be brought back. Sanatised safe seating will be nothing more than standing in front of your seat.

I am however in favour of it. Rather than have the safe seating as pictured a couple of pages ago, limited terracing with plenty of crash barriers would provide the club with an opportunity to make tickets available at a much cheaper price.

There also seems to be a prevalent thought expressed here that it would improve the atmosphere. Not necessarily, people at the game can only do that witness are old friends Rapid.

Rapid don't get told to sit down because they act as one they stand throughout the game, we tried to do it as a group against Burnley and suddenly had 5 stewards and the same amount of Police surround us threatening us with arrest, a safe standing area would get rid of this problem!

Rapid don't get told to sit down because they act as one they stand throughout the game, we tried to do it as a group against Burnley and suddenly had 5 stewards and the same amount of Police surround us threatening us with arrest, a safe standing area would get rid of this problem!

As I said its people that generate atmosphere nothing more. That only about 8 of you wanted to stand up in that section of the north stand is evident of those willing in participation.

As I said its people that generate atmosphere nothing more. That only about 8 of you wanted to stand up in that section of the north stand is evident of those willing in participation.

Did the Rapid fans generate the atmosphere sitting on their arses?

Did the Rapid fans generate the atmosphere sitting on their arses?

In all fairness i think that after some protracted discussions with the stewards and some stubborness on the fans part, around half that section of the north were standing.

I'd love to see the lower holte converted to a standing area, i'm sure it would attract some of the more vociferous fans back from the lower north to their rightful home.

You said it's people nothing more that generates atmosphere I believe that standing helps create atmosphere.

I wrote

Not necessarily, people at the game can only do that witness are old friends Rapid.

I may have worded it badly , standing certainly doesnt detract from any atmosphere generated but standing/sitting doesnt necessarily detract either when there are enough participants.

• 2 years later...

Ah fock! I saw this topic and thought "YES WE'RE GAME FOR STANDING!" 

The problem Villanwesty is the government need to pass the bill to allow for standing in stadiums before it can be trialled at all the clubs willing to participate. With all the recent stuff coming out about Hillsborough its will be very difficult and I wouldn't expect it to be passed by the Government for a good few years yet. 

Until then we wait. 

Personally wouldn't stand myself but have no objections to a small area for standing. I do feel like all the introduction of all-seater stadiums improved eveybodys experience to watch foorball and created a family friendly environment. I don't want to go back to the dark days of overcrowding, fighting, barriers, urine filled toilets and hostility.

• Like 1

Personally wouldn't stand myself but have no objections to a small area for standing. I do feel like all the introduction of all-seater stadiums improved eveybodys experience to watch foorball and created a family friendly environment. I don't want to go back to the dark days of overcrowding, fighting, barriers, urine filled toilets and hostility.

How do any of those relate to SAFE standing?

You won't get overcrowding with safe standing, as the name implies it's much more controlled and organised than the old terraces. SS won't be approved, at least not for many years yet.

One of the biggest contradictions in the game today is when a goal is scored at the match & practically everybody who is supporting that team leaps & jumps hysterically from their seat in wild celebration.

As per usual the Government of the time over reacted & seeing as both they & the police colluded & conspired over the Hillsborough cover up (no revelation there) I very much doub't whether we will ever see a proper return of standing area's in football grounds that many of us grew up with.

The new format will probably be 1 person per 3 square metres or something truly pedantic & ridiculous that only the authorities could dream up.

Football will never progress while the suit brigade run the game for one very simple reason. They don't have one ounce of common sense between them.

One of the biggest contradictions in the game today is when a goal is scored at the match & practically everybody who is supporting that team leaps & jumps hysterically from their seat in wild celebration.

As per usual the Government of the time over reacted & seeing as both they & the police colluded & conspired over the Hillsborough cover up (no revelation there) I very much doub't whether we will ever see a proper return of standing area's in football grounds that many of us grew up with.

The new format will probably be 1 person per 3 square metres or something truly pedantic & ridiculous that only the authorities could dream up.

Football will never progress while the suit brigade run the game for one very simple reason. They don't have one ounce of common sense between them.

If the pass safe standing, expect it to be a bit like the dortmund kop (obviously not as big though) 

I think Villa have vaguely said they would be keen for a trial of standing in the Lower Holte corner, but it has no chance. It has no chance because the premier league is not interested. They really do not care about the day to day interests of the paying fan.  They want lots of money and TV to show every match possible. Any mention of standing is toxic in this country after the hillsborough diaster 24 years ago. As often the case in this country we go from one extreme to the other. In this case it was years of no investment in stadiums and treating fans like cattle, to nice but souless all seating stadia. I think Simon Inglis summed up Hillsborough for me. After the awful events, football finally worked out how to design and manage terracing properly. And then they banned them.

Edited by The Fun Factory

When we beat Sheffield Utd 5-1 at home in 1975, me & my mates at the back of the Holte End, insanely celebrating a brilliant goal by Chico Hamilton  found ourselves almost down behind the goal some 30 seconds later still wildly celebrating. That's what it was like in those days. Everybody went crazy & you could easily find yourselves 30 or 40 Yds away from your normal standing position after being swept away by the madness & excitement of the crowd. Wonderful days.

Â