Would you vote for a Safe Standing Area at Villa Park?

Villarocker

Safe Standing Area(s) at VP  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing Area(s) at VP

• Yes - Jump Around if You Love Villa
    • No - sit down, shut up
    • "Wevs" - I only watch on the telly

Well the answers are pretty loaded aren't they. I voted no, but I don't think you should shut up with it.

I just personally don't get why everyone is so obsessed with standing up, if you've got kids or your a short ass its a nightmare to see when people are standing. I quite like the great view I get from my seat. (when the tall guy in front is in his seat too)

It is a fact Jon that many hundreds of thousands of people up and down the UK still stand at the football - why not give these people the chance to do it safely while other people like yourself can sit down and not have the hassle of someone deciding to stand in front of you? Thus wrecking your matchday experience.

It's surely a win-win situation, Jon? You can then make a concious choice about whether you stand or sit at the football. Added to that, it will help create a better atmosphere at Villa Park thus boosting the team on the pitch, which is in everybody's interest.

Well the answers are pretty loaded aren't they. I voted no, but I don't think you should shut up with it.

I just personally don't get why everyone is so obsessed with standing up, if you've got kids or your a short ass its a nightmare to see when people are standing. I quite like the great view I get from my seat. (when the tall guy in front is in his seat too)

It is a fact Jon that many hundreds of thousands of people up and down the UK still stand at the football - why not give these people the chance to do it safely while other people like yourself can sit down and not have the hassle of someone deciding to stand in front of you? Thus wrecking your matchday experience.

It's surely a win-win situation, Jon? You can then make a concious choice about whether you stand or sit at the football. Added to that, it will help create a better atmosphere at Villa Park thus boosting the team on the pitch, which is in everybody's interest.

I get your point and I voted no more that I don't like standing myself as to stop.a stamding area. But a standing area will not stop people standing in the seated areas.

Reading this thread I thought I'd post this video of Villa Park in the early 70's.

Seeing the Holte packed to the rafters is an awesome sight but it's also interesting to see the Witton End before that horrible monstrosity that's there now was put up.

Those days are gone, mostly for the better, but I'm all for safe standing. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will happen, too much of a political hot potato.

I get your point and I voted no more that I don't like standing myself as to stop.a stamding area. But a standing area will not stop people standing in the seated areas.

So if you don't like standing - and you've already made reference to the fact that someone sometimes stands in front of you - then by supporting the Stand Up Sit Down campaign you will be helping to solve this problem and give football fans a choice.

A standing area would dramatically reduce (at the least) the number of instances of people standing in seated areas. Obviously the extent to which can only be speculated on because we don't know how large the standing area would be, but it would be a win-win situation.

Reading this thread I thought I'd post this video of Villa Park in the early 70's.

Seeing the Holte packed to the rafters is an awesome sight but it's also interesting to see the Witton End before that horrible monstrosity that's there now was put up.

Those days are gone, mostly for the better, but I'm all for safe standing. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will happen, too much of a political hot potato.

2:12 there showing theh olte packed to the tits is just magic.

Well at least you've come out and admitted you voted no!

But mate, if there were standing areas, don't you think it would be a lot easier to tell the tall bloke in front of you to sit t.f. down?

It's not like they're going to rip out all the seating areas. If you don't like standing, buy a seat in the seating areas. You will be with like-minded people, and everyone's a winner.

I'm surprised how few people have drawn attention to the fact that (although it was a dreadful tragedy), Hillsborough was pretty much a one-off. Fans had stood up safely enough for more than 100 years before that. Banning standing was nothing more than a classic H&S kneejerk reaction, with typical H&S disregard for anything beyond H&S (**** the atmosphere, let's make it a million times safer than it needs to be. You can never be too safe, and how dare you think otherwise).

stood on the holte in 91/92 and 92/93 when i was aged 6/7 and hated it, i was always moaning about wanting to sit in the posh seats in the nice stands lol

would love to have terracing back now though

I was 20 back then and loving it :)

Didn't your Dad sit you on the barrier so you could see?

No I agree it wont stop people from standing in seating areas but im willing to bet that it would dramatically lessen the numbers doing it.

Can we have a standing plus smoking area aswell

Or is that pushing the boat out to far

anyone smoking in the ground is a tit.

:x

I went to a Dortmund game last week and you are allowed to smoke in the stands there, didn't seem to be too much of a problem.

Hell Yes

Only problem I see is that these safe standing areas really don't lend themselves to a good old 'knees up mother brown'

Those old enough will know what I mean

Yes I remember well. I think its worth pointing out that it would be doubtful 'terracing' would be brought back. Sanatised safe seating will be nothing more than standing in front of your seat.

I am however in favour of it. Rather than have the safe seating as pictured a couple of pages ago, limited terracing with plenty of crash barriers would provide the club with an opportunity to make tickets available at a much cheaper price.

There also seems to be a prevalent thought expressed here that it would improve the atmosphere. Not necessarily, people at the game can only do that witness are old friends Rapid.

Â