Would you vote for a Safe Standing Area at Villa Park?

Villarocker

Safe Standing Area(s) at VP  

242 members have voted

1. 1. Safe Standing Area(s) at VP

• Yes - Jump Around if You Love Villa
    • No - sit down, shut up
    • "Wevs" - I only watch on the telly

Being 24, I never really got to experience terracing before it was outlawed.

Could someone explain how it would work?

Would you still get a designated spot to stand in, or would it be a free for all?

As far as i know you are still allocated a seat.

safe%20standing.jpg

Would you still get a designated spot to stand in, or would it be a free for all?

safe%20standing.jpg

they used to be free for all style though,but i can see the sense in the one on you're picture.

safe%20standing.jpg

they used to be free for all style though,but i can see the sense in the one on you're picture.

Yeah they used to be free for all and that's where the safety issues arose, it's easy to see how this is a much different set up but still allows the fans to stand as many wish too.

i watched the ten minute bill on bbc parliament on tuesday and listened to the debate - well, i say debate, but nigh on everyone was in favour of it as all polls have shown and nobody could offer up any counter arguments - on radio 5live this morning. victoria derbyshire, despite being a stupid bint, and constantly cutting in with breaking news regarding that horrible circus in the north east, was clearly in favour of it.

don foster has always been an excellent advocate of safe standing and despite this having a 0% chance of becoming law (to quote don from r5live this morning and indeed the evidence of past ten minute bills) the profile of the campaign will be and indeed already has been raised by it all.

can't agree that most liverpool fans and those associated with the hillsborough disaster back it though, mons. liverpool fans and north west mps alike take a very dim view of bringing back standing. anne williams, whom i quoted on that fsf status, is the only person i know of who has come out and made a statement like that and i've been researching all this for years. you only have to look at the disgusting way trevor hicks behaved in front of the kop on the 20 year anniversary and the way in which he used his time to honour those who died, including his two daughters, to berate and attempt to disgrace the liverpool fans who travel up and down the country and stand up and support their team, to see that standing is still very much not supported right down to the core of the hillsborough support group. and i've lost count of the number of times i've heard north west based mps come out with the same drivel and outdated criticisms that the fla, the premier league, past ministers for sport, excluding kate hoey, front up, as don himself has claimed.

also, if you want to back the campaign and the fsf then i suggest having the logo of the stand up sit down campaign group on the banner also, would be a good idea. they're, nay, we're the ones who have campaigned for this for years, written numerous letters, tuned in and added to numerous debates on the matter - not the fsf - who only recently have taken a more active role in backing the campaign, preferring to first get the twenty year anniversary of hillsborough out the way as well as the general election this year, as they told us on the forums.

had quite a fiery exchange with the general on this issue not long ago; as usual he was very generic and chose not to put his or the club's cards on the table whatsoever and came across as having not one clue about the issue.

good to see there's a lot of people backing it on vt.

safe%20standing.jpg

Yeah they used to be free for all and that's where the safety issues arose, it's easy to see how this is a much different set up but still allows the fans to stand as many wish too.

its a great idea,more so if you have kid with you atleast there is a seat if there are tired..

I never had the opportunity to stand in the old holte as my dad would always insist on sitting in the Trinity or Witton stands, but i'd love to stand at a home game without a steward being obliged to be a pain in the arse all game.

For what it's worth i've emailed my PM on this (there's a link of the FSF webpage) to ask him to support the bid. I know politicians don't tend to represent our interests but it's wort a try.

I think it'd go a long way to reinvigorating the atmopshere down VP if we had an all standing stand or area of a stand, plus there would presumably be the option to make standing tickets cheaper than sitting ones which would allow some people who've been priced out of the ground to come back. Whether the club would actually make these tickets cheaper is another matter.

Yes, but I don't think it is ever going to happen, there are too many problems that would need to be solved.

For example, where do you put it, and would season ticket holders want to move from their seats to go stand in it, if it is in say - the North Stand? I know I wouldn't

And if it was in the Lower Holte would existing STH want to stand all game ?

Too many factors as to why this won't happen at VP, let alone the potential danger of it, but I would be for it.

My first thoughts:

Not sure i can see the point. I dont believe the club would look to reduce ticket prices alongside a standing section as they would be looking to maximise sales revenue. On this basis why introduce it, the top of the Holte is pretty much a standing area anyway, you may as well have the option of a seat.

Can see it being a health and safety nightmare these days. Theres no way we would be allowed the huge crowds you used to see in a standing area, along with that people would be hurt by large movements of the crowd. This used to happen but that was in an age when it was deemed acceptable, the "no win no fee" bods would have a field day.

Absolutely yes. I watched the ten minute bill in Parliament live yesterday and it would be FANTASTIC news if this was passed.

It was also debated on Radio Five Live earlier this morning.

Those who say no, could you give a valid reason?

As far as I'm concerned there is no valid reason, there would be safe standing areas and seating areas so if you don't want to stand you don't have too.

I have said this before and as a safety professional there is no reason in todays game why standing can not be made safe.

It was all a con how it got pushed through anyway when cartain club chairmen AND MEMBERS OF THE FA brought a company called Pwll seating in west bromwich who made school chairs and close to going under, yes folks they got all the contracts for the all seater stadiums and nobody else was given a fair chance to bid. IIRC it was not originally in the Taylor Report but recommended by certain people, certain people who had shares in Pel seating.

Compared to the 80's we have:

No fences around the stands and if this was an issue in the future there are far better alternatives to fencing

Ticket allocations are a lot easy to control preventing the risk of too many people in that area, there is also no risk of away fans getting in as unlike when you could pay on the door of the Holte that just does not happen.

Hooligans (the scum apart) are pretty much doing their fighting away from the ground and CCTV and crowd control are far more advanced than back then.

safe%20standing.jpg

What a great idea!

My first thoughts:

Not sure i can see the point. I dont believe the club would look to reduce ticket prices alongside a standing section as they would be looking to maximise sales revenue. On this basis why introduce it, the top of the Holte is pretty much a standing area anyway, you may as well have the option of a seat.

Can see it being a health and safety nightmare these days. Theres no way we would be allowed the huge crowds you used to see in a standing area, along with that people would be hurt by large movements of the crowd. This used to happen but that was in an age when it was deemed acceptable, the "no win no fee" bods would have a field day.

How would it be a "health and safety nightmare"?

Each supporter in a modern-day standing section, as seen in countries such as Germany, has their own designated section with either a fold-down or removeable chair (for UEFA & FIFA games, which are currently still all-seater).

There is still NO evidence presented that has suggested this new standing technology is in any way shape or form a danger to fans. Quite to the contrary, the famous South Stand at Borussia Dortmund has nearly 25,000 people standing every game without fear for people's safety.

Any standing areas introduced in this country would be much smaller, perhaps just 2-3,000 fans, and would be properly regulated to give fans the choice. People who like sitting down would be able to do so without having people standing up in front of them - and people who prefer standing would also have the opportunity to do so.

There are many, many more points but that will do for now.

In the two seasons i've had my current season ticket i haven't actually sat in my seat once so would be a 100% yes from me

If you're the annoying guy who inexplicably stands up infront of me on his own, every week, then I shant be impressed!

Â