So, just how rich is Notch now?

Too rich by half I reckon, considering, from what I can gather, all he seems to have done is create a graphically poor virtual lego game. But maybe I am missing something...

I'll have to try the xbox demo soon, see how it feels. Although no creative mode and limited map size is a bummer. Is it screen shot enabled?

Oh, I also re-visited my VP build for the first time in aaaaages the other day. One of the recent PC updates allows you to switch between Survival and Creative modes on the fly, which is excellent. I was building it in Survival before, and was tempted to restart when they put in the option of Creative worlds with flat landscapes in version 1.0.0 (think thats when it was).

I'd like to say that now having the map in Creative mode has given me the impetus to go on and finish it...but I just can't be arsed :)

I don't have the patience or creativity to play Minecraft, but if I was going to I'm not sure why I would on XBox rather than PC. It seems like the kind of game you have to play on PC to get the most out of.

Think local co-op is the most appealing feature about the 360 version, 4 player split screen.

They appear to have done an excellent job porting it across. I played the trial and it runs really good, very smooth with no glitchs or lag during multiplayer, which is very common on the PC game.

Minecraft breaks XBLA sales records, recoups dev costs in an hour

That is the dev costs of the conversion, which would have probably been fairly straightforward anyway. The Xbox is basically a PC so it would have mostly been UI stuff and figuring out the memory limitations. The PC version of Minecraft has made much much much more money than the console version ever will, and given how few people were actually involved in the making of the game they would have all got paid big time. People in the know were saying that Notch had made in excess of $50m from the game just during its alpha and beta phases (the game didnt officially get released until November 2011 despite it being for sale for a good 18 months before that) but with the official PC release and now this console version I would imagine he has had another very profitable six months. Kinda makes me feel like a failure, because I am basically the same age as he is (I am older by a few weeks) and I dont have fifty million dollars yet!

I would be very wary of investing in the XBLA iteration of Minecraft without cast iron guarentees on it having proper updates as is expected of Minecraft - as the build is already one thats about a year behind and XBLA titles have been notoriously crap with any forms of proper add on content or major updates.

The other thing is that if you have the internet connection needed to download the game in the first place then you almost certainly have a computer in the house powerful enough to play the PC version. I heard a couple of things from the 360 version are better than they are in the PC version at the moment (recipe book being the main thing) but they are probably already in the process of being modded into the PC game.

Too rich by half I reckon, considering, from what I can gather, all he seems to have done is create a graphically poor virtual lego game. But maybe I am missing something...

:shock: "...all he seems to have done..." Well, you certainly are missing something in the fact that he has, initially by himself, made a game that strikes a nerve with a huge amount of players. Now I don't play Minecraft myself, never have, but it is quite obvious that there are lots of people out there that enjoys the game. As a developer I can certainly appreciate and respect the technical achievement, and I don't think that remark is fair in terms of what Minecraft represents.

YEs, that comment strikes me as someone saying "but anyone could do that?!" when looking at a piece of art or something.

Maybe anyone could do it. But HE did it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought the xbox version of this the other day and am addicted. I chose the xbox version over the pc version so I can relax on the sofa while playing it on a large screen. I can also play co-op with my son on it. It's very educational with smelting and building, and killing creatures with bow and arrows :). There are updates planned to make it more like the pc version. For a novice there is more than enough to be getting on with. Probably not much point for anyone who has the pc version though.

I got really hooked on this lately, decided to rebuild the mansion from GTA Vice City (for the most part, the inside of the building isn't the same size as the outside in the game so you have to compromise on either the inside or outside) and it looks superb, on the inside at least, took me about 20 hours to finish. No idea when the Xbox update is coming around, meant to be this month and they're putting creation mode in.

This is somebody else's but mine looks somewhat like this

That is certainly something to aspire to! I have started building on top of a mountain and the time is flying. Kudos to the developers. They have created a great gaming experience.
It's a crap game at the same time though, I mean if somebody was to explain to me that there is this game where you mine blocks of stone, dirt etc to then build things out of them, I'd tell them they were stupid for buying it. Love it though.

It's a crap game at the same time though, I mean if somebody was to explain to me that there is this game where you mine blocks of stone, dirt etc to then build things out of them, I'd tell them they were stupid for buying it. Love it though.

Agreed. It's different to any other game I have though so it has a niche. Plus it is quiet so I can play it when the rest of the house is asleep!

• 1 month later...

Getting back into a bit of Minecraft.

Love it, but my laptop really struggles to play it.

Considering it's got a 2.16 ghz processor and 3gb of RAM, is it the graphics card that is holding me back?

(I'm a complete idiot, and always have been, when it comes to PC/laptop specs)

When I play it on my Dad's relatively cheap Desktop it's gloriously fast and smooth with fancy graphics and far rendering. On mine I have to play with everything at it's lowest. It sucks!

Â