On another note, being as I haven't played it in a good while, some of the new additions to the game took me by surprise. A pleasant surprise.

I spawned in a huge, and I mean huge, jungle, which freaked me out, especially when I saw some sort of leopard wandering around.

And stumbled on an abandoned mine when I was digging which was really creepy.

I like.

(Incidentally, would I need an Xbox Live gold account thingamajig to get it on the 360? Or can you buy it without one?)

Ah good to know!

That might be my solution then. I wouldn't be fussed about playing it online. Just dying to play it at home without having it on lowest graphics and still struggling.

But didn't want to have to sign up to XBox live gold just for that (I very rarely play my 360 anymore)

Thanks jamesi

Do you have anything running in the background whilst you play MInecraft on your laptop Stevo? MC is resource heavy, so having much else going on at the same time can knock the performance a bit. Your specs seem OK on the face of it though, so youre probably right in assuming it's an issue with your graphics card.

As for MC on Xbox...I just can't imagine it. I never have got round to trying the demo, but playing it on a console just wouldnt feel right. Not to mention the lack of mods, etc.

The 1.4 update is due to release at Halloween I believe, and includes a new Witch mob, Anvils for repairing/merging/naming items, aswell as 'friendly' golems in villages which attack mobs, and a whole raft of new features for custom worlds (in addition to superflat there are going to be water worlds, desert worlds, snow worlds, stuff like that, and an editable flat world with custom layers). They seem to be heading in the right direction in regard to villages, but more of a dynamic, living and breathing population is required for them I think. Something more like the Millenaire mod. The thing that's great about that is the villages/towns seem really genuine, and human, and the NPCs are fine that way. They don't need to be some foreign creature type thing like in the vanilla villages. Maybe if they populated differnt biome villages with different 'species' of villagers...

And that's what I've always liked, and continue to like about Minecraft. The possibilites for it are quite literally endless.

Nope. Tried everything, shutting everythign on my laptop down and even finding and installing some mods which help you get greater FPS on lower spec machines.

I can play pretty much fine on Short render distance. But anything above that is pretty slow and jerky.

And when it rains on the game I'm basically ****. Slows it right down. And I have to have everything else turned off, like clouds and that.

I've still played loads on my laptop, it's not unplayable by a long shot. But I don't feel I'm getting as much out of it as I could. And as I said earlier in the thread, after playignit on my Dad's PC, which runs it like a dream (compared to mine anyway) playing on my laptop always feels like a let down.

Short of buying a new laptop/desktop, XBox might be my only solution.

It's worth noting that the 360 edition is notably behind the PC version as each currently stands. The 360 version had a fairly hefty update this week which brought it up to a level that the PC version was at whilst it was still in beta.

It's still perfectly playable but I'd imagine if you were used to Minecraft on the PC as it stands now it'll feel like going back in time a little.

Yeah I'm aware of that. Non-infinite maps as well.

But for £12 or whatever it is I'm thinking of just giving it a go.

The local multiplayer will make it fun too. I know a mate or two that would be up for playing but wouldn't buy it themselves so I'd never get to play multiplayer on PC.

Yep.

Only thing I don't have at it's lowest is Render distance. I have it on short rather than tiny. Switching between the two makes little difference.

Again, it's pretty much fine running at those really low settings apart from the odd jerk and it's a bit slow, but still smooth so doesn't take away too much.

But as I said, running it with everything turned down so low just isn't as good.

I enjoy playing it on the Xbox, but never really played it on the PC (other than a few minutes on the demo) so wouldn't really notice the difference. I haven't played it in a while but feel like I wasn't getting the full experience; I mainly just built stuff and barely got around to using redstone circuits. Did make a portal but didn't really 'get' the Nether. Not sure if I'm missing a lot, as I've been told about quite a few things, or if there just isn't actually that much to do on the Xbox version?

Bit the bullet and bought the XBox edition.

It's brilliant. Obviously it's a bit behind the PC version, but it's about where the PC version was a couple of updates ago, and it was still a great game then. So it's fine.

Incidentally, pretty much first thing I did was mine down and stumble upon the biggest cavern I've ever seen on Minecraft, with all different chambers and lagoons and lava flows. I spent half an hour looking round and still hadn't explored the whole thing. It's absolutely massive.

Good stuff Stevo. I love it on the 360, especially as its on a large screen and you can relax on the sofa. The xbox controller works well with it as well. You also picked a good time to buy it as a lot more content was added this week. Enjoy!

Yeah the controller is absolutely fine. Only small issue I had was sprinting is pretty awkward to do. But that's really minor.

Crafting is much quicker and easier, although I quite like the crafting on the PC. But I guess it wouldn't work too well (it'd be slow) with the controller

How large is the world?

The current version of the map spans approximately 275 square kilometers and contains over 68 billion blocks. The highest part of the world, the peak of Mt. Hyjal, stands more than a kilometer above sea level. Since the map exceeds the Minecraft height limit, the world had to be divided into seven altitude layers, each connected via a server-side plugin that teleports players as they approach the height limit. To be played locally, the map requires 24 gigabytes of hard-drive space.

I don't know anything about WoW, or the size the proper world, but that is awwwwwwessssssommmme cooooooooooooollllllllll

One day my VP build inc. Aston Park and Aston Hall will be up in lights like that...one day...

It's less impressive/sad when you realise it's done via software that he's developed. When I started reading i thought he'd built the whole thing himself by actually placing blocks. That would be insane.

• 3 months later...

So, just how rich is Notch now?

He took a salary of kr640,000,000 (£64.5m, $101.7m) in 2012 alone.  Worldwide sales of the game amounted to kr1.5bn (£151m, $238m) in 2012.  Sauce (Swedish) 

And I'll bet you thought Leo Messi had a good year. 

*edit*

Reddit thread, with comments from Notch. 

Edited by The_Rev

Â