Nice. Will check it out later.

Some of the mods look interesting. One called "mo creatures" puts loads of animals including sharks, bears and even ogres. Could make it more exciting!

It won't let me use the beta. Do I have to buy it to play it?

Yeah. The 'beta' aspect of Minecraft is just Notch's way of saying "It's a finished game but I'm not quite ready to call it finished". Don't confuse it with some kind of 'try before you buy' beta because it isn't that at all. Minecraft beta is the full Minecraft.

It is worth the money.

The mods are great, but annoying when there are so many updates coming out, meaning you have to install them again everytime. Planes is a great one.

This is my house fairly early on in a game.

housebg.png

• 4 months later...

Currently embarking on my first 'mega-build' - and what better subject matter than the Villa! I've started a 1:1 scale model of Villa Park. I'm using single player commands but am not using any other sort of map editor. I'm not using any other mods or texture packs (edited by myself or others), so I am working within the confines of Minecraft. What it has made me realise is that they really need to add some sort of paintbrush so you can paint individula pixals on individual blocks, which would be really handy for extra detail.

Basically I started out by setting out the pitch (using the scale of 1 block = 1m) and then started work on the North Stand. Mostly because I have a really decent picture of the North Stand from that I took from a seat in the front row of the upper Holte. I havent set it out as 1 block = 2 seats or anything like that, mostly just went by visual landmarks, like the entrance to the lower North being in the position it is between the goal and corner flag on the right side, and so on. What I would really really love is to do the whole stadium, including interiors, and some parts of the exterior of the ground as well. Aston Park running along side the Trinity Road lends itself well to some landscaping and trees and such like.

Here's what I have so far

20110904205935.jpg

Exterior isn't finished yet, but not far off. Interior has a bit to go, most of the floors are in but that's it. No wall at the back yet. Bit of a problem is, as you may be able to tell, is that it's a bit dark in the upper with the roof on. I have used SPC to set the time in-game to always 12:00 though.

You can see the pitch at the bottom, but without using a map editor I had to flatten that whole area myself. As an example of what it looked like before, here's what the other end where the Holte will be looks like at the moment

20110904205953.jpg

:lol: That was actually a lot worse though, you can see where I've already flattened what was a pretty massive hill a bit. Got bored though. Was going to flatten out the whole pitch and edges before doing any of the stands, but it was so tedious I couldnt help starting on the North.

The inspiration came from seeing some real nice youtube vids of Anfield and Old Trafford. Searched Villa Park, no results, thought I had to at least have a go at putting that right :D Will put a thng in my sig and update as I go, be a long time till I finish though, as it's pretty slow going.

That's amazing! Keep it up.

Haven't touched this in a while.

Not because it wasn't fun, bt because I went to my Dad's and played it on his super fast PC and it was awesome, then when i got back to mine and played it on my laptop with the graphics turned right down and it was still jerky it just annoyed me.

Maybe you'll get back into it with the 1.8 update? That's when it will become more of a 'game' with NPC villages, proper dungeons and such like.

In regards to herky jerky -ness, I tried a 256x256 texture pack not long ago and much to my surprise the frame rate remained pretty smooth. I usually play it windowed though, but like that it looked pretty horrible. Nice in full screen though. Even if the cows & sheep with actual faces look really **** creepy

It's not so jerky that it's unplayable on mine, not by a long shot.

It's just that it runs so smoothly and with full graphics on my dad's that mine just seems craop in comparison.

I'll get backinto it at some point. Such an addictive game. The amount of times I was up until about 3 in the morning just mining for **** coal is ridiculous.

Been playing with TNT to try and flatten some more of the Villa Park turf. The last update which forces you to use fire or redstone to trigger it seems to have made it ever more fun, and using SPC to have an unlimited supply to hand is just wonderful. Don't want to do many more than 50 blocks of TNT at a time though in case it crashes my game...but all that destruction...tee hee!

i bought this yesterday but it wont play on my laptop, keeps going to a white screen in browser mode and crashes on startup windowed version.

wish i hadnt wasted my money now :( think i need to update my graphics driver (tosh c660) but it wont let me install the new nvidia drivers

oh well

Here's the doug nearly done

20110912224620.jpg

20110912234723.jpg

Forgot to put the entrances in for the lower at this end ... not really sure how to tackle that corner at the moment either, as annoyingly, it is properly filled in so. Will have to experiment.

Not keen on the purple, mind. ;)

Yeh, I know what you mean, best I have to work with though - at the moment. After I've finished the stands I will probably try my hand at editing my own texture pack so I get a proper claret colour.

I've been looking at some more vids of football stadiums on youtube aswell, and as nice as they are, not many have a proper 1:1 scale pitch. So the stands look nice, but the pitch just looks wrong. Hopefully my effort will have more of an air of authenticity about it due to the size of the pitch.

And in regards to Minecraft itself - anyone tried the 1.8 pre-release yet? I haven't, and won't touch the proper release until the new version of SPC is out for it, as it would kill my progress with VP. Heard good things about it though!

Anyone who hasn't touched Minecraft for a few months might want to try the new update. It's the first part of the Adventure Update, and one of the last big updates before (what is supposed to be) the full game release. The new biomes are fantastic, new lighting looks great, and there's a hunger system too. Plus a couple of new mobs, NPC villages (no actual NPCs yet though) strongholds, and abandoned mines. Rivers, ravines, and proper oceans make a big improvement to the look of the worlds too.

My first world with the new update I started in the 'extreme hills' biome, with some really incredible landscapes

• 1 month later...

Two reasons for bumping.

Here is VP before I got bor-ER, took a break from building.

20111102231124.jpg

Second is; if anyone else was like me and bought Minecraft almost entirely as due to X's Adventures in Minecraft on youtube - he's made some new vids after the 1.8 update :D 3 at the moment, he encounters an Enderman within like 2 minutes of starting his new world and beats it with a wooden sword - on hard :lol: **** brilliant.

Â