Also confirmed, Notch leaves Mojang.

tldr; "Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change. It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity."

Jeb stays on as lead developer, as expected.

I think it'll take awhile, but I do expect to see Microsoft push for a proper Minecraft 2, rebuilt from the ground up, for the 'next gen' (XBONE).

So, I wonder if Notch realised this is where he would end up five years ago when Minecraft was released?  It must have been beyond his wildest dreams, surely?  He's got to be a dollar billionaire by now which is hugely depressing because he's a couple of months younger than I am! :lol: 

It blew up so quickly though, didn't it?  I remember the alpha being huge news when it came out because they were selling a ridiculous amount of copies. I thought it would be massive for a couple of months and then disappear like all the other fads. Instead it changed the entire business model for PC gaming.  Fair play to the people who made it because it really is a case of the little guys winning. 

Yup, never laid a finger on it.

It's huge with younger kids though, think 7-14 is their demographic.

There's a youtuber who's very successful due to his twitch streams and youtube channel. He was on bbc breakfast not long ago and said his videos regularly get 1m+ views.

Lost count of the amount of hours i've played on it (PC / PS3 / PS4) 

I enjoy it for the same reason as LBP I suppose. It has a ridiculous amount creative possibilities, and I find that very appealing. I blame my addiction to LEGO at an early age  :)

Great fun playing it on console with the kids too.

I've never understood the game, how is it fun, why do people play it? 

Definitely one of those things I just dont "get".

On Console it's a bit basic, mostly just for building things.

It's got huge potential IF Microsoft don't just destroy it. They should be looking at the sort of things that are on the PC and trying to bring something like that into console. Servers, different game modes (that are mostly mods) on PC. Could be good, could kill minecraft entirely

Edited by Rino8

It blew up so quickly though, didn't it?  I remember the alpha being huge news when it came out because they were selling a ridiculous amount of copies. I thought it would be massive for a couple of months and then disappear like all the other fads. Instead it changed the entire business model for PC gaming.  Fair play to the people who made it because it really is a case of the little guys winning. 

Yeah it got big pretty quick. Then I couldn't go on YouTube without the entire front page being full of Minecraft videos for months on end!

Â