The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

Saw the trailer tonight before Abe Lincoln. I knew what the famous Bane storyline was but this completely confirmed the film was going that route.

Showed a bit to much for my liking basically the whole story arc.

Can't wait for this film.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tickets are availble to purchase for the IMAX/Thinktank in Brum. Got mine 2 days ago, they are going fast.

Never been IMAX, wanted to watch Avatar there but itwas forever sold out. So i guess you will need to act fast on these too

Tickets are availble to purchase for the IMAX/Thinktank in Brum. Got mine 2 days ago, they are going fast.

Never been IMAX, wanted to watch Avatar there but itwas forever sold out. So i guess you will need to act fast on these too

Indeed they are, got my 2 for the 9:00am showing on the opening day last week. :)

What's the craic with the IMAX? Is it just a bigger screen or is there more to it?

I can't comment from experience, because I've never been to an Imax (though Batman is doing his best to convince me to rectify this), but I do know about about Imax tech.

It's more than just a really big screen. It's a really big screen with pretty much unprecedented picture quality, because they use a much larger film which allows them to have much higher resolutions (incredibly high), which in turn means you can sit far closer to the screen (despite the size). They also tend to have really top quality sound systems. Their 3D is usually held to be the best as well, although it uses active shutter glasses instead of the cheap polarising ones you usually see and buy at the cinema.

They've been moving into digital which has caused some problems, but I understand that even that hasn't hampered Imax being considered amongst the best for image quality (despite digital having a reputation for just not looking quite as good as film).

If you've got the Dark Knight on bluray, you can see a little of the difference. A few scenes of the Dark Knight got shot in Imax and when those scenes appear on the disc you can notice a different 'feel' to the scenes, even with the HD transfer. Multiply that many, many times over and thats what the Imax experience is meant to be.

Nolan is a huge fan of Imax and thinks it should be the standard cinema pushes, not 3d. He's filmed about 50 minutes of the Dark Knight Rises in Imax film directly and I've heard from people who saw the Dark Knight at Imax (which had far less Imax footage), that those scenes were particularly stunning. I think it might be worth the effort to go to an Imax for the Dark Knight Rises... I'm hoping to convince a few friends it's worthwhile.

Here's my low down in the IMAX.

I saw the Dark Knight there. I think it was the very first scene, not even an IMAX scene, and it was just the side of a building. But when it popped onto the screen the whole audience audibly gasped. It's just a stunning picture.

Just don't sit at the front. We were as we were late getting there and you genuinely have to move your head significantly to see the other side of the screen!

I've just finished reading through Knightfall as I had never read it before. It's great, and I can see Nolan taking a lot from it, especially with regards to Bane's character and him gradually wearing Batman down before breaking him. I was actually surprised how serious Knightfall portrayed Bane. My previous notions of the character were incorrect, but that was largely based off of the Arkham series of games where he is portrayed as a somewhat super-human brute and quite unintelligent. In Knightfall he is a huge physical specimen, and he does seem to rely on 'Venom', the chemical which feeds directly into his brain to make him even more massive, but he is quite an intelligent and calculated villain, which I think will be the crux of the character in The Dark Knight Returns.

It seems like the storyline could transfer quite well to the big screen, although I assume they're not going to do anything with Jean-Paul Valley's Azreal character and the role he has to play in the aftermath of breaking the bat. I think that could make quite a good movie too though.

I'm even more interested in how this movie is going to turn out now.

Here's my low down in the IMAX.

I saw the Dark Knight there. I think it was the very first scene, not even an IMAX scene, and it was just the side of a building. But when it popped onto the screen the whole audience audibly gasped. It's just a stunning picture.

I was going to say exactly the same mate. :)

I seriously can't wait to see TDKR now, there's a real war movie feel about this one too which will set it aside from TDK as the focus was on one man.

I was going to ask, the IMAX is still there but it's now called "The Giant Screen".

Is it exactly the same, just with a different name, or will the "IMAX" scenes not be IMAX'd

Does that even make sense?

I was going to ask, the IMAX is still there but it's now called "The Giant Screen".

Is it exactly the same, just with a different name, or will the "IMAX" scenes not be IMAX'd

Does that even make sense?

Just looked this up. It turns out that when Millenium Point ditched Imax, they chose to install a new projector system, which is a 4k digital projector which is actually better than Imax's own digital projector (they go for a 2k projector/dual set up for 3d), amongst other updates including a new screen, which may be a little smaller from what I've read but still enormous.

Given that the Giant Screen only tends to show Imax stuff anyway... I think the difference is going to be negligible (although it seems part of the reason they went with non-Imax kit is to allow them to show a wider range of stuff... which they don't appear to have done much at all). Basically if you use 'Imax' to mean 'Dirty great screen and incredible picture quality', rather than specifically to mean Imax specific technical standards shown in an Imax specific venue, you're probably not going to notice any difference.

What he said. It's not IMAX branded any more, but it shows the same stuff. Basically Birmingham has an indie IMAX, which is far cooler. I imagine it will benefit greatly from increased footfall when the East Side park opens too.

Imax is very expensive.

The kit is basically hired, and because of the difficulties they have meeting the standards they want (mostly caused by the actual film - the film being huge causes loads of problems when developing a projector to show it, and then the projector itself has it's own eccentricities which of course adds to the cost. And the film itself costs obscene money, 35mm is expensive to produce for a feature film, Imax standard stuff is even worse and you need more of it) the cost of that kit is massive. Couple that to the fact the benefit of Imax is best seen when the film is shot to it's standards (which is expensive, of course), so very few directors bother, and because of the lack of Imax screens and lack of people queuing up to watch Imax films (because the benefits don't matter to most of the public - 'a film's a film') studios/Imax don't go out of their way to bring a massive array of titles to Imax...

...and it becomes unsurprising that a lot of Imax cinemas don't work out. Avatar only really did well at Imax because Avatar itself was somewhat marketed a visually extraordinary film that Imax made the most of.

The Giant Screen appears to have gotten round a lot of those problems. They've got their own projector system, a very very good one it seems, it's digital so they don't have to worry about the problems that arise with proper film as getting hold of digital films, even at the high standard the massive screen needs, is nothing compared to the cost of getting actual film... As far as I can tell, the Giant Screen should more or less run like any other small cinema now.

Which like the_Rev says, is pretty cool. They're basically an indie cinema with world class kit.

The folks on Curzon Street have said their gear is on par with if not better than Imax.

Cineworld on Broad Street are getting a million pound overhaul for an Imax screen in time for Skyfall hopefully.

I'll still stick with the showcase due to locality .

Â