The Dark Knight Rises - Spoilers marked please!

Chindie

Couple of things today - theres been word doing the rounds that the film currently stands at about 3+ hours[/] long. Obviously they'll be editing that down, theres no way they'll release a 3 hour long Batman film theatrically, but that does suggest a few things. Firstly, you'd guess a lot is going to be happening plotwise in this, you'd have thought given a few things we know and a few things we can guess at. Secondly, it suggests that we're going to be getting a pretty long film regardless, the worry there being that Nolan was teetering on the edge of losing it with TDK for pace, the final boat dilemma tends to divide people as to it's necessity in that film, if he's ended up with a 3 hour film as they go to really edit it down theres a worry the same thing will happen.

Secondly apparently the novelisation has leaked and is doing the rounds, so spoilers ahoy.

I'm hoping that the full version will be released at a later date on Blu-Ray. I'm drooling as I type this...

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's hard to argue that Ra's al Ghul had a stand up fight with him - he trained Bruce Wayne, he didn't fight Batman.

No no, the fight in the train. Bruce was wearing his suit during that scene, doesn't that count?

Been a while since I've seen it admittedly but I don't remember that fight being much of a fight, really. Perhaps I'm misremembering it. Anywho the point I'm making is that no-one who can really hurt Batman, threaten him physically, has gone toe to toe with him.

I'll have a gander at Batman Begins later just in case that fight had more to it than I'm giving it credit for.

Having just rewatched the ending of Begins, it's more of a fight than I gave it credit for, but it's not like Ra's really is an equal - Batman batters him for a considerable amount of the short fight. I think Bane will be a different story - Ra's never massively threatens Batman, Bane's whole character is based around the fact he is more than a physical equal (and in the comics he's a mental equal as well, be interesting to see if Nolan follows that aspect to a tee).

Couple of things today - theres been word doing the rounds that the film currently stands at about 3+ hours[/] long. Obviously they'll be editing that down, theres no way they'll release a 3 hour long Batman film theatrically, but that does suggest a few things. Firstly, you'd guess a lot is going to be happening plotwise in this, you'd have thought given a few things we know and a few things we can guess at. Secondly, it suggests that we're going to be getting a pretty long film regardless, the worry there being that Nolan was teetering on the edge of losing it with TDK for pace, the final boat dilemma tends to divide people as to it's necessity in that film, if he's ended up with a 3 hour film as they go to really edit it down theres a worry the same thing will happen.

Secondly apparently the novelisation has leaked and is doing the rounds, so spoilers ahoy.

I'm hoping that the full version will be released at a later date on Blu-Ray. I'm drooling as I type this...

I'd have nothing against an extended edition (assuming the movie isn't silly long to begin with), but I would worry what the pacing would be like - for all it's excellence, TDK lags in a few places, it's one of it's small flaws. To be honest I'd be worried about pacing if they've ended up with a 3+ hour film to begin with.

But regardless, it's increasingly exciting me. I've got my worries... but I can't wait.

I'm sure the film will be great, but that trailor was very underwhelming for me..

Doesn't really make it look that good a film, in my opinion.

Best shot is the football field one, which was on the first trailer already.

Trailers still look poop to me. Not trying to be snooty and not giving it a chance, just think it's poor from trailer. TDK looked bloody immense from the first frame of every piece of media attached to it.

The released media hasn't knocked away my doubt it's going to be a weaker film than that that preceded it, I must admit. The first big trailer's big moment, the football field collapse, looked like it was half finished SFX, and an awful lot of the posters and so on have looked quite low rent, particularly the latest ones.

I'm hoping that they've held back a lot (and if it's 3 hours long right now, they must have) and the released media is just not doing the film serious justice. Regardless, even with my excitement for it, I don't think it's topping TDK for pure spectacle. Hoping I'm wrong, though you'd have to say that it's not a massive slight if it can't match the previous film.

A lot of footage was shown at CinemaCon a month or so back, that hasn't been released in the other trailers, that apparently showed what seemed to be a lot of action setpieces, 'very explosion-y' being one description... so perhaps it'll be a rather more straight action film than what Nolan has done so far.

A new trailer was shown during the MTV Movie Awards last night, about 90% new footage and... well, it's good!

No Youtube link yet but /Film have embedded the vid, so take a look.

Raises a few questions and answers a few - Catwoman is definitely going to be portrayed as having the ambiguous alignment the comics have played around with a lot.

'...you should be afraid of him as I am...'

A new trailer was shown during the MTV Movie Awards last night, about 90% new footage and... well, it's good!

Raises a few questions and answers a few - Catwoman is definitely going to be portrayed as having the ambiguous alignment the comics have played around with a lot.

I'll admit I haven't been that excited about TDKR, I've been looking forward to it I guess but not dying to see it. That trailer and the new TV spot however has got me on board. Can't wait now

As various people have mentioned (also mentioned in the comments on /Film), I would love them to put all three on at the IMAX. I saw TDK at the IMAX and it was breathtaking. I would love to see it there again, along with Begins and TDKR. I'm sure it would make Odeon an absolute fortune.

How much would Begins in particular benefit from IMAX screening, that didn't have any sections shot on IMAX film did it? This film should benefit the most from it, IIRC there was talk of 40 minutes being shot on IMAX kit, as opposed to about 10 in TDK.

The BFI London does monthly marathons of LOTR so, hell... maybe it could happen?

Anyway... I'm hyped for seeing it but I've been more cautious than I was for TDK, I still have some worries, but increasingly it's looking like Nolan ratcheted up the action in this one and thought to hell with it all. I just hope he can leave the franchise with a serious bang.

I'm still intrigued by Bane in this. I've never liked the character, but I want to see what they do with him. I like how they're building him up to be someone you should be afraid of. If they make him live up to the reputation he has (the man that broke the Bat) then that could be a good, good thing.

I'll admit I haven't been that excited about TDKR, I've been looking forward to it I guess but not dying to see it. That trailer and the new TV spot however has got me on board. Can't wait now

Holy shit.....that trailer was AWESOME :D

So how come this is being touted as the end of the trilogy? I mean, apart from it's the last Batman to be directed by Nolan, I guess. Will they kill Bruce Wayne, as happened in the comics, I believe? Will it be left for someone else to pick up the baton and continue with the 'serious' Batman movies? Or will someone else 'reboot' the 'franchise'...again?

Â