Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably Player of the season for me, there isn´t much competition though...

Agreed, he has consistently been one of the best performers in most of the games hes started, glad to see its being recognised,

Covered the most distance in the prem on sat so was inevitable he was going to tire in the second half against stock,

still had the awareness to create a great chance for weimann at the end... and interplay for goal was superb..

cant really see who could be player of year besides him if he can maintain this form for the run in.

Ireland is too smart for our side.. I know it gets said every time but we have to rebuild the side around him. If we sign another lot of players that are thick as shit we'll continue to be using him at 50% of his potential.

Ireland is too smart for our side.. I know it gets said every time but we have to rebuild the side around him. If we sign another lot of players that are thick as shit we'll continue to be using him at 50% of his potential.

Not saying i disagree but who on our team is thick as shit?

73400_o.gif

Gabby mainly though the rest are thick in a footballing sense players like Bannan, Bent, Hutton etc.. They are "good" (excluding Hutton) at what they do but just don't have the brain to keep up with him. They are always in the wrong places and never on his wavelength.. Maybe they will improve the more they play with him, but some just don't get what he's trying to do.

I actually think Weimann, Gardner and N'Zogbia are on his wavelength much of the time.. The link up play with Weimann yesterday proved it for me, but so many in our side just don't get him.

They are "good" (excluding Hutton) at what they do but just don't have the brain to keep up with him. They are always in the wrong places and never on his wavelength..
Or is it that he is always in the wrong place and not on their wavelength?

It is a team game after all and to say that a large section of the team is out of step with just one player is a bit bizarre really.

Don't get me wrong, Ireland's done enough to justify his continued selection, but no more than that for me. He was clearly the most talented player on the pitch yesterday, but just never looked that dangerous. He doesn't seem to take games by the scruff of their neck. Hopefully that will come with a bit more self-belief and confidence.

Plus, obviously, he's playing in a cack team with a cack manager.

Noticed during the ManUre game on Sunday that Utd were having a similar issue with Scholes. He was pulling the strings for them in the second half against QPR but Young, Welbeck, Valencia etc simply weren't capable of getting into the positions that bring out the best in him so he would just end up passing it sideways or to the touchlines. When he did feed clever through balls into them they fluffed their lines. Think he just got fed up and took matters into his own hands.

I know it's not exactly the same scenario with us....

Gabby mainly though the rest are thick in a footballing sense players like Bannan, Bent, Hutton etc.. They are "good" (excluding Hutton) at what they do but just don't have the brain to keep up with him. They are always in the wrong places and never on his wavelength.. Maybe they will improve the more they play with him, but some just don't get what he's trying to do.

I actually think Weimann, Gardner and N'Zogbia are on his wavelength much of the time.. The link up play with Weimann yesterday proved it for me, but so many in our side just don't get him.

I very much agree with the overall point that the game intelligence of our players is woefully lacking.

I think your being harsh on Bannan though. Having seen him play a lot for reserves I can say he is a very clever player. He is trying too much right now and hasn't got the Premier league experience to show it yet. I hope he gets there but jury is out on that one for me. As for rest of them.

Hutton - Poor football brain and often poor execution to boot.

Warnock - Seems to know what he is supposed to be doing but is limited by his ability and tendency to do something massively stupid at least twice a game. Maybe 4/5 times a game when he is out of form.

Herd - Isn't allowing his brain to get out of "make no mistakes" mode so who knows.

Albrighton - His game intelligence is his worst trait and he has a lot of learning to do in this area.

N'Zogbia - Actually has a pretty poor football brain in my opinion often tries to beat a man at wrong time (i.e. when if he does beat him he is just running into another one).

Collins - Again his worst trait - often struggles to find a pass - gives it away more than he keeps us playing.

Gabby - Very little thinking in what Gabby does - though it has improved over the years.

Not to say these players don't have other attributes but the fact most of our first team is on this post is a large reason why we often struggle to string 5 passes together.

I watched AC Milan v Fiorentina yesterday after our match (I know, spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down) and I particularly concentrated on Robinho when he came on.

Now, obviously Robinho is/was a world class talent, but just watching the runs he makes from the left channel was really telling. I remember seeing him make those same runs and Ireland finding him again and again. And then seeing Robinho take a man on down the left channel and feeding Ireland with great chances.

Ireland, especially in the first half was getting into the same positions but Gabby just wasn't making the right run, if any at all. Furthermore, I don't think Ireland trusts Gabby, and probably anyone playing on the right lately (I think NZog could form a partnership here) to make his run as we don't beat anyone nor do any of our players have that vision to see the run.

That's what we are missing right now. I think Weimann and Bent have good movement, and NZog could do these things, but none of our other attacking players are on the same wavelength right now.

N'zogbia's best games for us this season have been with Ireland in the team.

Once he gets his fitness up, those two will link up well again I think.[/quote

Be short term. i doubt both of them will be here after the summer