Andreas Weimann

Adam2003

That is a big relief! Well done to both the club (for making him a decent offer) and to Andi (for taking it and showing some loyalty which has become a rare thing to see in football).

Not sure there was an avalanche of offers for him which might have made it considerably easier for the player and club to cut a deal that suited both parties.

I also think the reaction is a little overboard to him signing a new contract as he would have been easily replaced by a better player.

• Like 1

"Not sure there was an avalanche of offers for him" Nor I, but if he had strung it out I am sure there would have been other offers on the table for him to look at Morpheus. "he would have been easily replaced by a better player". At considerable cost in both transfer fee and wages. I for one think this is as good if not better than a new signing because he is already one of us, gives everything he has for the shirt and has shown great progress over the last season. I think he also works well with Benteke which may sway Benteke to give us another season when he comes to make his own decision.  

• Like 1

I agree with all your points John but maybe if Weimann had gone to pastures new his fee would have purchased a player of at least similar quality and maybe better?

Benteke however, if sold, would be a lot harder for the manager to replace with similar qualities.

I take your point but we might also have got someone who was less good and I back Andi to get better in the coming seasons. I also do not think the fee we would have got would have reflected his value to us and given us the cash to sign a like for like replacement.

• Like 1

I agree with all your points John but maybe if Weimann had gone to pastures new his fee would have purchased a player of at least similar quality and maybe better?

Benteke however, if sold, would be a lot harder for the manager to replace with similar qualities.

How much do you think we would have got for Weimann with one year left on his contract?

Do you really think we could have purchased a player, guaranteed to settle in, perform at the same ability or better, give the same high work rate (especially important during the times of weak form) and easily young enough to improve his game further, for the same value another club would value a young Andi available on 'a free' in 12 months time?

• Like 2

How much do you think we would have got for Weimann with one year left on his contract?

Do you really think we could have purchased a player, guaranteed to settle in, perform at the same ability or better, give the same high work rate (especially important during the times of weak form) and easily young enough to improve his game further, for the same value another club would value a young Andi available on 'a free' in 12 months time?

Correct-To suggest he would easily be replaced by a better player is ridiculous-Especially bearing in mind we're shopping in the bargain basement.

Banger likes this.

Raver loves you... or at least your avatar...

Back on topic - excellent news about the young Austrian. I enjoy his enthusiasm when he is in the team - the committment and dedication he showed for the cause when he knocked the ball back for Benteke against QPR (was it our winning goal at the Holte) is something I haven't seen since Merson hit himself against the post in the build up to a Villa goal in the FA Cup against Leeds in 2000.

Very exciting player. I bond with him more than CB as he has been here for years and really does seem to love it here.

Edited by Raver50032

"but maybe if Weimann had gone to pastures new his fee would have purchased a player of at least similar quality and maybe better?" I take your point but we might also have got someone who was less good and I back Andi to get better in the coming seasons. I also do not think the fee we would have got would have reflected his value to us and given us the cash to sign a like for like replacement.

Yep we might also have purchased a player lacking the same abilities as Weimann but my point still stands that Weimann is much more replaceable than say Benteke especially since our manager has been continually praised on how good he is in the transfer market.

Remind me how much we payed for Sylla, Westwood and Lowton?

Correct-To suggest he would easily be replaced by a better player is ridiculous-Especially bearing in mind we're shopping in the bargain basement.

Not ridiculous at all when you look at our manager's record in the transfer market.

You assume we are still shopping in the 'bargain basement.' Do you know our current transfer budget?

Weimann is a good player who has shown improvement but to suggest that we couldn't replace him with better given our manager's current record in the transfer market is more than a little blinkered and narrow minded. 

TalkShite topic last night: "Is Andi Weimann too good for Aston Villa?"

Their whole business model revolves around trolling their listeners to get them to ring in.

There's no point being surprised by one of their topic.

Good news, but I would have liked it to be 4-5 years - with 3 years we are back in this situation again next year.........

No we're not

Good news, but I would have liked it to be 4-5 years - with 3 years we are back in this situation again next year......... 

Actually, we'll be back in this situation the year after next. He was into his final year before he signed the new one. He'll have two years to go this time next year.

As someone said, shorter contracts for promising but not absolutely proven talent keeps them hungry.

The point is that we need to act on players when they have 2 years left on the contract - at the latest! Therefore we need to agree new terms again next year. And don't give me that "we don't have too" line, because leaving it to the last year of a contract is very risky business. 

And who did they have debating that? Footballing / broadcasting giants such as Micky Quinn, Ray Parlour, Jason Cundy, Darren Gough, or Ronni Irani?

And who did they have debating that? Footballing / broadcasting giants such as Micky Quinn, Ray Parlour, Jason Cundy, Darren Gough, or Ronni Irani?

Darren Gough and Adrian Durham.

Darren Gough and Adrian Durham.

:rolleyes:

I actually really like talksport. Especially the Durham and Goughy drive-time show. I think it is very entertaining and whilst they do go fishing especially with Arsenal and Spurs fans they do have some decent debates on there.

I actually think it is a fair question. My answer would be no, providing Villa kick on. Another poor season and I feel Andi would deserve better, providing of course he maintained the level of last season. 

I think Weimann is altogether the most refreshing footballer we have had at this club for as long as I can remember. I have never seen somebody work so hard. Also it is nice to see he recognises the faith Lambert put in him, because lets face it he played a whole season at the expense of an International striker. An easy decision for me mind, but I doubt Weimann would see it that way.

Â