Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

He isnt good enough.

We should go with Reo Coker,Makoun and we need to sign a decent attacking midfield player.

Maybe use Delph as a squad player and see if he can improve. But he is nothing on Makoun for movement,vision,passing and looking for the ball.

The lad clearly has something about him and if he can get an injury free run will prove to be a big player for us.

He'll be starting a lot more games next season for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of next season he is one of the first names on the team sheet.

wanted too much time on the ball too often today, gave it away quite a bit. still, its not easy to come back in against a midfield with as much movement as arsenals. i did like he was looking to get forward and attack, and from the warmups he seems to be one of the only players who can test the keeper. seriously, the amount of our players who cant even get it on target from 18 yards out, running onto the ball and with no opposition to worry about is quite pathetic.

He did extremely well today I think, hassled the opposition well and ran from deep tirelessly. We didn't get to see too much of his attacking skills because we were forced back for about three quarters of the game but he worked his socks off.

I really rate Delph, but I think he was only 'okay' Yesterday.

Out of our central midfielders, I would say that NRC was the best and Petrov & Delph looked average. (Considering it was against Arsenal, we were defending a lot and we actually won - I don't think that's too bad).

With more game time and a permanent partnership in the middle, I think Delph could develop into a great player. It just depends on whether he gets the time on the pitch and who partners him.

It all comes down to the formation - 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1 as may have been the case yesterday) suits Delph. He's tended to look overwhelmed at times in a central two, whether that be alongside Petrov or Reo-Coker, and the team as a whole has looked lightweight. Play him in a central three though and he can really be an asset.

This may, in fact, be best for Makoun as well and I would venture that if Reo-Coker signs a new contract that a trio of Makoun, Reo-Coker and Delph could work very well, especially with Downing and Young (or a similar replacement) getting forward and drifting in from out wide. We'd be a lot stronger in the middle and this would allow Makoun's passing game and Delph's attacking instincts to come to the fore without leaving the rest of team exposed. We'd be a lot less flat and predictable at home and ideally set up to counter-attack in away games.

I like Delph - rustiness aside, thought he coped well yesterday and despite getting caught in possession a few times looks like he could develop into a key player for us if given time and stays clear of injury.

Alec, I wouldn't disagree with you, in that I would like to see him in a three. Although, I do not recollect much of this:

He's tended to look overwhelmed at times in a central two, whether that be alongside Petrov or Reo-Coker, and the team as a whole has looked lightweight. Play him in a central three though and he can really be an asset.

In a two he has been predominantly alongside Stan. I am struggling to remember him in a two with NRC?

I see him as the playmaker alongside a DCM and an ACM, as he was against Man U at home last year with Stan and Jimmy alongside. Only problem is I also see Makoun and Bannan as this type of player?

Alec, I wouldn't disagree with you, in that I would like to see him in a three. Although, I do not recollect much of this:

He's tended to look overwhelmed at times in a central two, whether that be alongside Petrov or Reo-Coker, and the team as a whole has looked lightweight. Play him in a central three though and he can really be an asset.

In a two he has been predominantly alongside Stan. I am struggling to remember him in a two with NRC?

I see him as the playmaker alongside a DCM and an ACM, as he was against Man U at home last year with Stan and Jimmy alongside. Only problem is I also see Makoun and Bannan as this type of player?

You forgot the diagram, barrysboots!!!

Â