Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

If you let yourself get into a position where you can be upset or angry by a footballer leaving your club then you need to have a long look at yourself. I was devastated when Dwight left but I was 13 then.

World class teammates, CL football, more endorsements, more fame, more money. This is a business, they are businessmen. I don't care what he said, I would have done the same, in a heartbeat.

Completely missing the point people are making here.

What you said in your last sentence is spot and he would have left with everyones blessing IF he didn't come out with the bollocks he did a few months ago.

Absolutely.  And for proof of this, i suggest anyone who can't grasp why people are annoyed should read the benteke thread when he goes.  Guaranteed the attitude towards him will be different.

And if the fee is met of course he will go, especially now that Delph has made it easier for him.

If you let yourself get into a position where you can be upset or angry by a footballer leaving your club then you need to have a long look at yourself. I was devastated when Dwight left but I was 13 then.

World class teammates, CL football, more endorsements, more fame, more money. This is a business, they are businessmen. I don't care what he said, I would have done the same, in a heartbeat.

what a load tripe in the first paragraph, part of being a football fan for most is being passionate about your club, to still be amazed when a player wants to leave the best club in the world...if you are not feeling those feelings then I feel sorry for you as while there are downs, there are also ups having those feelings. If I saw Aston Villa as a business I would've left it a long time ago and as a businessman I have done that a number of times with other businesses in my career
Why kid yourself by seeing it for something it isn't. It's 100% a business. A business that is quite unique really - in that the customers rock up regardless of the dogshit service they receive week in week out.

I've found by accepting reality it's easier to cope with the disappointments over n over again.

because if I accepted it as a business then I would move on....if I saw it as a business why would I stay? Below average product, false marketing, absent Owner, expensive, better products elsewhere on the market, about to lose best assets and I could go on.

Well you can live in ignorance if you like. Obviously the fans dont see it as a business when they are watching games because we are emotionally involved but everything else apart from the fans is a business, like it or not. Yes its badly run, makes mistakes, expensive blah blah blah but even that isnt a cringeworthy as fans crying about players leaving, that "football was ruined in 1992" or other such bollocks. Delph's leaving, big deal, get over it.

I don't disagree with the things you've mentioned but I care what he said. He was our captain and was leading by example by committing his future to us when we were bang in trouble.

Now he's jumping ship at the first opportunity, great leadership. I look forward to roundly booing him when he comes back to VP, probably on the bench.

what a load tripe in the first paragraph, part of being a football fan for most is being passionate about your club, to still be amazed when a player wants to leave the best club in the world...if you are not feeling those feelings then I feel sorry for you as while there are downs, there are also ups having those feelings. If I saw Aston Villa as a business I would've left it a long time ago and as a businessman I have done that a number of times with other businesses in my career
Why kid yourself by seeing it for something it isn't. It's 100% a business. A business that is quite unique really - in that the customers rock up regardless of the dogshit service they receive week in week out.

I've found by accepting reality it's easier to cope with the disappointments over n over again.

because if I accepted it as a business then I would move on....if I saw it as a business why would I stay? Below average product, false marketing, absent Owner, expensive, better products elsewhere on the market, about to lose best assets and I could go on.
But it's a bit strange to ignore reality when it's quite clear you are fully aware of reality.
but surely that's what part of being a football fan is.....the dream, the illusion, the faith that one day will be our day. Example of the FA Cup Final against Arsenal, if we went by reality we had next to no chance of winning that but I'm guessing over 95% of Villa fans who went to Wembley thought it maybe our year? Without that reality, holding on to hope and blind faith football wouldn't be the sport it is today. If it was purely clinical then we'd all support the best team and football would not be the football we know

I wouldn't be surprised if he's being linked with a move away as soon as January. Why he'd want to go to sit on City's bench when he's spent a big chunk of his career on the sidelines already because of injury, I don't know.

The PR Department have had an absolute shocker here. Sticking Delph front and centre, tugging at the captains armband with scrawled quotes of "this is a big club" surrounding him knowing full well he is **** off. 

Those images were released this week, rumours of this deal have been going on for longer. If people weren't taking the piss out of it before they certainly will be now.

• Like 3

Well you can live in ignorance if you like. Obviously the fans dont see it as a business when they are watching games because we are emotionally involved but everything else apart from the fans is a business, like it or not. Yes its badly run, makes mistakes, expensive blah blah blah but even that isnt a cringeworthy as fans crying about players leaving, that "football was ruined in 1992" or other such bollocks. Delph's leaving, big deal, get over it.

sad that you feel like that, football is losing its fans passion if people have attitude like you

I wouldn't be surprised if he's being linked with a move away as soon as January. Why he'd want to go to sit on City's bench when he's spent a big chunk of his career on the sidelines already because of injury, I don't know.

Probably the massive wages means more to him than playing regular football and having an England career.

Yes I was going to say, I do know. I think he'll get more game time than the likes of Rodwell and Sinclair but even so you'd think he'd want to be somewhere (even if it's not Villa) where he plays pretty much every week, given how much he's spent out already in his career.

Probably the massive wages means more to him than playing regular football and having an England career.

I said a few days ago that I didn't believe footballers were all that bothered about playing for their country.

What a barrage of negativity this thread has become.

Bit rich isn't it? ;)

Maybe people are just seeing reality now hence why their posts 'seem' a bit negative. ;)

They're not though.

They're being overly negative to try and convince themselves that they didn't want Delph to stay.

What a barrage of negativity this thread has become.

Bit rich isn't it? ;)
Maybe people are just seeing reality now hence why their posts 'seem' a bit negative. ;)

They're not though.

They're being overly negative to try and convince themselves that they didn't want Delph to stay.

Fair dos.

That's not the reason I questioned his loyalty for the last few months fwiw tho.

I am gutted he is going but I can't really blame him at all. I will say that I am very disappointed at the timing of it after his comments in January. I believed he would give us one more season and leave next summer.

Andy Gray called it on talksport when Delph signed the deal saying he believed there would be a clause in contract for him to leave for x amount of money.

Also about two weeks ago Delph was at a certain golf course the other week with another bloke. Missus said it looked like a businessman (whatever they look like). I'm guessing this was his agent ? This must been going on for a bit longer than man city just meeting release clause I think

The PR Department have had an absolute shocker here. Sticking Delph front and centre, tugging at the captains armband with scrawled quotes of "this is a big club" surrounding him knowing full well he is **** off. 

Those images were released this week, rumours of this deal have been going on for longer. If people weren't taking the piss out of it before they certainly will be now.

I totally agree but could they really have done a kit launch without Delph? what would we and the nations media be doing if they left him and/or Benteke off the marketing shots?

Its a weird one. Im still glad he decided to sign the new deal and left us with an 8m leaving gift. If he was the uncaring mercinary many are suggesting then he would have run down his contract like Vlaar.

Its a shame they went with lying about why he's not in Portugal for a day or two though, especially if hes having a medical today.

Maybe we should introduce a season ticket window which opens after the transfer window has shut!!

I said a few days ago that I didn't believe footballers were all that bothered about playing for their country.

A guy that I know is close to Grealish told me that the reason he is undecided over his international allegiance is because England pay their players and Ireland don't. Not sure if true but wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Anyway, Delph can bugger off now. Gueye will hopefully be better!

Completely missing the point people are making here.

What you said in your last sentence is spot and he would have left with everyones blessing IF he didn't come out with the bollocks he did a few months ago.

That was probably more the clubs PR department that Delph. Regardless, maybe he got a taste of Wembley or got jealous seeing the Arsenal players lifting the trophy. Maybe he got fed up of being in a relegation scrap, maybe Benteke leaving flicked a switch, maybe he's just happy to get a 40k rise and a huge signing on fee. I dont know but everything about leaving is an improvement. I really dont care what he said, what footballers say means nothing to me to be honest.

Everything is an improvement IF he plays and is not sitting on the bench!  This move is a big risk for him. 

It all comes down to what you value; more money vs. playing time; being a captain and the main man vs. being just a number in a better team

Â