Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

Nice little finish that was, he can still make it here

Think he'll feature on the obligatory US pre- season tour before another year on loan at somewhere like Yeovil or Plymouth

• Like 1

i still really want him to do well here but i just cannot see it. one thing i have noticed a lot actually, leading on from the noone celebrating with him point, is that he is never talked to or mentioned by any of the academy guys on twitter, when they continue to mention the likes of craig gardner, liam ridgewell, jonathan hogg and even adam mcgurk. they've all been long gone now and yet the players still keep talking to them and wishing them well

i still really want him to do well here but i just cannot see it. one thing i have noticed a lot actually, leading on from the noone celebrating with him point, is that he is never talked to or mentioned by any of the academy guys on twitter, when they continue to mention the likes of craig gardner, liam ridgewell, jonathan hogg and even adam mcgurk. they've all been long gone now and yet the players still keep talking to them and wishing them well

Does that matter?

He could be the quiet type. Never gets in trouble - and never does anything particularly interesting either!

If you're a manager he's the perfect professional.

Does that matter?

He could be the quiet type. Never gets in trouble - and never does anything particularly interesting either!

Are we on about the same player ? Didnt realise this was the andi weimann thread. Silly me for thinking it was the nathan delfouneso one... >__>

Does that matter?

Are we on about the same player ? Didnt realise this was the andi weimann thread. Silly me for thinking it was the nathan delfouneso one... >__>

Are you saying he isn't the quiet type and always gets into trouble?

What are you saying exactly?

Does anyone know his longest run of first team starts for us ? I'm not convinced he's ever had a fair crack of the whip

As it has been pointed out, he's very young. 

Delfouneso did not get game time as 18-20 year old because he is an out-and-out striker and could not easily adapt to playing any other position.

If you're not a proven scorer, and are not scoring regularly, you're not playing in the PL.  

Very few strikers score regularly from a very young age. Didier Drogba scored 12 in 64 for Le Mans between age 20-24. That's not prolific.

Ever heard of Frederico Macheda? 21 years old. Scored a famous goal against us that helped win the league for Man Utd couple of seasons ago. Where is he now? 4 games for Stuttgart on loan this season.

As for what people say about Nathan, I wouldn't let many of the commentators here manage a Football Manager team let alone make crucial decisions about which Aston Villa players to demote to the second division.

Edited by Con

Also noticed that nobody really celebrates with him, and he doesn't really seem to congratulate anyone else. He does seem to have an attitude and billy big balls mentality

I think that's unfair. regardless of skills I have always appreciated his attitude, particularly towards the fans. He always goes out of his way to show his appreciation to the support.

I hope he comes good for us I really do.

We've all been waiting a very long time for Delfonz to show that we have another quality player on our hands. He could come back this time from his loan and finally kick on in the same way Weimann has but if he still shows no further improvement in pre-season then we should sell him.

I have been following his loan at Blackpool and he seems to come off the bench every now and then and score but 90% of the time he sits on the bench which feels pretty baffling as you would have though he would be good enough to start at that level.

Whether he comes back and does well I don't know, Luke Moore has somehow managed to still be part of a Prem team's squad so who knows.

When I first saw Weimann play i was not impressed at all - his attitude was spot on though but I didn't think he would make it, now look at him -  one of the best players we have!

If Andy can prove us all wrong then maybe Delf can - but right now i doubt it.

It changes pretty quickly, but it's hard to see where his opportunity will come from. He's always been the one most talked about and he banged goals in at the development levels, represented England etc, if you'd asked me back then who'd have the chance of making it out of him and Andi it wouldn't have been Weimann. I've rarely ever been impressed when Nathans had a chance though, he's never took the bull by the horns and transferred the raw ability into a really good performance.

That said, his loan stats don't phase me at all, Weimann/Agbonlahor and more have had rubbish loans and done just fine for Villa, as long as they're getting game time when they go on loan that's fine for me as far as our players go.

He could still make the grade but it'll be tough and this is last chance saloon. 

Lambert might just show a little bit more belief in Fonz than previous managers have and that may indeed happen between the next pre-season and the beginning of our league programme due to what has happened with Weimann? Other factors will also be based on what league the club will be playing in next season and whether budget constraints will be lifted leaving Fonz surplus to requirements.

Edited by Morpheus

Delfouneso was always highly rated, going back to when O'Neill was in charge. Maybe it was the comparisons to Henry, maybe it was part of the feel-good factor we had around the club when O'Neill was here.

In my opinion, he has never shown the level of effort that I would expect to see from someone trying to break into the first team. Even when played on the wing, I would be screaming at him from the stands to actually track back or show for the ball.

The interesting part in his development, for me, was when KMac was in charge briefly, or when he had an active role in the first team's backroom staff. Because Wiemann was picked over Delfouneso, and Fonzy wasn't even given a place on the bench.

Also noticed that nobody really celebrates with him, and he doesn't really seem to congratulate anyone else. He does seem to have an attitude and billy big balls mentality

I think that's unfair. regardless of skills I have always appreciated his attitude, particularly towards the fans. He always goes out of his way to show his appreciation to the support.

I haven't liked him since the youth cup (or was it league... I don't remember!) final a few years back. We won, and all the kids were celebrating like they'd, well, won a cup, like they should. Delfouneso just walked off as if this sort of thing was beneath him. Seems to fit in with the old Billy Big Bollocks rumours that were around a few years back.

Delfouneso was always highly rated, going back to when O'Neill was in charge. Maybe it was the comparisons to Henry, maybe it was part of the feel-good factor we had around the club when O'Neill was here.

In my opinion, he has never shown the level of effort that I would expect to see from someone trying to break into the first team. Even when played on the wing, I would be screaming at him from the stands to actually track back or show for the ball.

The interesting part in his development, for me, was when KMac was in charge briefly, or when he had an active role in the first team's backroom staff. Because Wiemann was picked over Delfouneso, and Fonzy wasn't even given a place on the bench.

Rated, but certainly not enough to be played consistently by any recent manager we've had and they can't all be wrong.

I don't know how accurate my assessment is but from what I've seen of him I always saw him as a Darren Bent type striker basically knew where the back of the net was, and scored most scrappy goals in the 6 yard box, but from reading this I don't think others see him as that kind of player. 

I don't know how accurate my assessment is but from what I've seen of him I always saw him as a Darren Bent type striker basically knew where the back of the net was, and scored most scrappy goals in the 6 yard box, but from reading this I don't think others see him as that kind of player.

I do, I think he's just like bent

I don't know how accurate my assessment is but from what I've seen of him I always saw him as a Darren Bent type striker basically knew where the back of the net was, and scored most scrappy goals in the 6 yard box, but from reading this I don't think others see him as that kind of player.

I do, I think he's just like bent

I do too, from what I've seen.

I think it was Pearce who started playing him out wide and I don't think he's a winger at all.

He's like Bent except he lacks that ruthless streak that pushes you a yard in front of the defender to poke it in if the defender in question is making things difficult for you and this, for me, is his biggest weakness and whyy he's not living up to his potential.

Weimann has this quality and this is one of the things that separate the two.

Edited by 8pints

I haven't liked him since the youth cup (or was it league... I don't remember!) final a few years back. We won, and all the kids were celebrating like they'd, well, won a cup, like they should. Delfouneso just walked off as if this sort of thing was beneath him. Seems to fit in with the old Billy Big Bollocks rumours that were around a few years back.

On the US tour last year after we beat Portland he was the only Villa player to come and thank us (shoved away in a corner as we were). Maybe he has changed. He sure looked absolutely desperate to try and play well when I saw him.

Â