Nathan Delfouneso

Ulver

I seem to remember Kev Mac saying that Delfouneso was much the better of the two from a technical perspective but that Weimann had more chance of making it because of his attitude and desire.

Then again, if I did read that, I probably read it here so it's probably a crock.

Probably a bit like the fact both the Moore brothers as youngsters were far better than Gabby - but the difference is the desire to be the best. Where is Luke Moore now? being touted around by Swansea to get rid and Stefan Moore in the non-league.

Footballing ability is not the thing that makes a success ofthe player it is that combined with a desire. You would never see ND work as hard and try as much as AW.

(thanks OBE you posted that whilst I was typing - great minds etc :) )

Edited by Denis_B

£300k on bowery is still £300k that didnt need to be spent

cant see him making it at this level, but i hope that now that hes gained a little premier league experience, that we can sell him back to a lower league team for a little more than what we paid and get our money back plus a little profit, maybe between £600k to £1m?

as for fonz, dont know why people are still thinking he will make it when he clearly wont, his attitude is all wrong and theres bent, benteke, gabby and andi (and jordan) all ahead of him, the kid is now deadwood

I can't see him making it here to be honest. He is not exactly setting the world on fire up at Blackpool and his goal & app ratio appear safe to say that he is at about the right level in football.

A shame really as I really liked this guy and thought we were onto a winner with him being our shining star to emerge but it has just not happened for him here unfortunately.

Now that hes gained a little premier league experience, that we can sell him back to a lower league team for a little more than what we paid and get our money back plus a little profit.

So after about 60 mins of prem football it's time for him to go?? ridiculous

Delfouneso has more talent than Weimann in my opinion

While I agree with much of your post I personally don't agree with this part at all.

Weimann has a reading of the game and an ability to put himself in the right place at the right time that Delfouneso has never shown in the 1st team in my view.

I agree with you in terms of your general point about talented players without application being over taken by poorer players with more application. I just don't personally think it is applicable on this occasion.

I just think Delfouneso has for some reason been vastly over rated by a lot of our fans despite a succession of Villa managers over looking him.

Spot on Trent.

Darren Bent, our star striker, even recently admitted that Weimann was the best finisher we had at this club. That compliment came from a player who has prided himself on an impressive goalscoring record throughout his career - he knows a good striker when he see's one. And yet still people say ND has more talent than him? Very odd indeed...

Fonz has all the skills but he is mentally very weak and even quite troubled by being on the big stage. In my books, he has zero chance of making it in the top flight.

While I agree with your conclusion I'm baffled what makes people decide he is 'mentally weak' to the point it annoys me. It seems that every young player that does well at youth level then fails at senior level is deemed to be mentally weak or not hungry enough. Why? Why does there need to be some mental issue that stops them making it? Why can't it just be that actually they just aren't good enough?

It happens, players who look world beaters as kids or youths simply sometimes don't make it because they weren't actually good enough to do it at senior level.

For some reason people and I don't mean you personally here, but some people seem to refuse to accept this. Perhaps it is because it avoids them having to admit they were wrong about the player, they can still claim they were right it, they had the ability just not the application.

It seems to be an excuse purely limited to youth products, rarely players that we've signed so perhaps it is that people see them as being 'one of us' and so give them an easier time I don't know. I just don't get it.

Personally I've never seen anything to suggest he is mentally weak, just as I've never seen anything to suggest he is anywhere near to being good enough to play at PL level. Or not as anything other than a bit part player anyway.

As for being troubled by the big stage, I'd hardly call the Championship the big stage yet he has done little at a number of clubs while on loan and none have tried to keep him.

when he first broke into the first team, i remember such uproar and rave reviews about him and how he was going to be better than gabby etc blah blah blah

well how wrong those people were, but would they kindly like to step forward and admit it? i doubt it, anyway, lets move on, can we forget hes even at this club like we have with makoun

I would say delfouneso has a lot of talent. I also think he is doing quite well at blackpool. Has 6 goals in 16 starts and 8 sub appearances and most of those appearances have been as a winger not striker. He is still only 21 as well, so I am not going to write him off. I would agree that every years he fail to make the breakthough at this level is the less likely that breakthrough becomes. I think this loan spell at blackpool is doing a lot of good, he is playing regularly, has scored a few goals so hopefully he can really push on. He hasn't had a manager that has shown any real faith in him since MON ushered him into the first team squad as a 17 year old. So maybe....

However the problem is his lack of aggression. The lad needs to really harrass and get physical with centre halves. Weimann has the agression he is really competitive this is why he is making an impact as I believe that most young players at good acadamies likes ours have suffcient talent to make it. Those that make it however, have a more competitive spirit, they work harder, try harder, they won't shirk a challange, plus they have luck with injuries and oppourtunities. Top level football is cut-throat. Part of the problem is his talent, to make as far as he did as a youth came pretty easily for him, thats how it is with very talented youngsters, then they get to senior level and they have to fight tooth and nail for everything they get, it can come as a real shock to the system. So my feeling is that Nathan will never make it until he gets tough. My gut tells me he needs a real wake up call. He needs to be told he is not wanted at Villa, or released, he needs to hit rock bottom in order to find his fighting spirit.

Comparing him to Weimann is like comparing chalk and cheese they are both strikers thats the only similarity. Delfouneso I see as a striker that will drop deep pick up the ball and then run at the back four, and also has the potential to hold up the ball. Weimann is a fox in the box, outside the box he works hard and has a dangerous long shot, inside the box he is deadly.

• 4 weeks later...
Â