Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

I just found my official Aston Villa Wilkinson Sword razor, with replacement blades too, lol. I never used it. I think I've cursed Villa. I'm going to shave with it tomorrow, watch us win the league :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

Why did the 20 geese cross the road? 

To make me late for work this morning. 

Very cute though. 

You will always have some clearing in the woods who drives straight through them.

On 7/4/2017 at 21:32, chrisp65 said:

As far as good manuals go, I can heartily recommend

564908904_dd9a7d5522.jpg

it really is suited to the idiot and includes a good dose of hippy philosophy (around about page 1 it tells you that you can't fix it until both you and your vw really want it to be fixed, so take time out to really contemplate...

anyway, it helped keep ours on the road 5 years longer than it really should have

and the diagrams are cool, it's actually readable even if you don't have a Beetle

Screen-Shot-2012-12-23-at-9.22.18-PM-660Muir-Volkswagen-3.jpg

I've got my oily copy 20 years after I got rid of the car.

The best recommendation for keeping any car alive is to move to somewhere dry like Texas so it doesn't rust. :)

On 06/07/2017 at 06:39, maqroll said:

A quick and enjoyable synopsis on Overstreet-

I hate the use of video game footage. 

Not to mention the use of "Paris, France" in the intro. I doubt that even the thickest redneck thinks the Eiffel Tower is in Paris, Texas. 

38 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The best recommendation for keeping any car alive is to move to somewhere dry like Texas so it doesn't rust. :)

I have found another route!

I had an old Triumph Spitfire (when they were still pretty but had a tiny little engine) that I just couldn't keep up the maintenance on. It was simple enough, old school hammers and spanners and feeler gauge type maintenance. I just didn't have the hours. It rotted in the garage for a good few years until I gave it away free gratis to a mate that loves nothing more than a weekend in the shed up to his elbows in Swarfega.

It's a better car than it ever was in the 10 years I owned it, but I still get to toot around in it every once in a blue moon. Everybody happy!

But yeah, move to Texas is probably about the best advice.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I have found another route!

I had an old Triumph Spitfire (when they were still pretty but had a tiny little engine) that I just couldn't keep up the maintenance on. It was simple enough, old school hammers and spanners and feeler gauge type maintenance. I just didn't have the hours. It rotted in the garage for a good few years until I gave it away free gratis to a mate that loves nothing more than a weekend in the shed up to his elbows in Swarfega.

It's a better car than it ever was in the 10 years I owned it, but I still get to toot around in it every once in a blue moon. Everybody happy!

But yeah, move to Texas is probably about the best advice.

The Triumph Spitfire was a lot of young blokes' dream car back in the day, or if they were really ambitious a GT6.

I know a guy who still talks wistfully about his unrequited love for Spitfires, which his owning of several much better cars has never quite managed to compensate for.

Giving one away rather than butchering it, counts as a true act love. :)

• Like 2

We've had a couple of cars we've liked to a point we kept longer than financially sensible.

The Beetle was the first one, a new engine and new welding over old welding by the time we parted company. The Spitfire, which once caught fire. The fire started in the rear drum brake, I pulled over and got out, proper flame and smoke. But I was only hundreds of yards from home, half a mile tops. So I got back in, and drove home where I could put it out at my leisure...

8718405556_c635a280c8_c.jpg

That removable hard top was worth more than the rest of the car.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

We've had a couple of cars we've liked to a point we kept longer than financially sensible.

The Beetle was the first one, a new engine and new welding over old welding by the time we parted company. The Spitfire, which once caught fire. The fire started in the rear drum brake, I pulled over and got out, proper flame and smoke. But I was only hundreds of yards from home, half a mile tops. So I got back in, and drove home where I could put it out at my leisure...

8718405556_c635a280c8_c.jpg

That removable hard top was worth more than the rest of the car.

I have to ask; did it have pet name?

I was thinking Rocinante. :D

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Just now, MakemineVanilla said:

I have to ask but did it have pet name?

I was thinking Rocinante. :D

Well the name would have fitted, but I'm not that clever.

No, no name for my car. The Beetle was my wife's, that had 'Barney the Beetle' in old school DymoTape on the dashboard. Hmmm. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Well the name would have fitted, but I'm not that clever.

No, no name for my car. The Beetle was my wife's, that had 'Barney the Beetle' in old school DymoTape on the dashboard. Hmmm. 

I knew a woman once who had a Morris Traveller called Edna (who was a bit thirsty) and it was always a worry that she might start naming other things, if you know what I mean. :o

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Had a follow upMRI on my knee today ..... waited around and just had the results

6 months on from the stem cell procedure in my knees and the new cartilage has grown faster  than expected .... I'll be allowed to start running again in November and back playing football this time next year .... And then probably back for a repeat treatment in 15 years :)

I've gone from 2 knees that were bone on bone with no cartilage  (grade 4) to a knee that is now grade 2 and on current form will be almost as good as new in a years time ( the other knee was done 6 months earlier so could well almost be there now ) 

im still in awe that they can take something from my hip , plant it in my knee and it grows as new knee cartilage ....anyone that is old and gets a surgeon suggesting a knee replacement tell them it's 2017 and then go see a surgeon that does stem cell work instead :)

Your dream of playing for Villa is still alive! 

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Here's a good 'un

My missus spent more than 15 years with a total prick, don't ask me why. He treated her like crap and also got her into massive debt. When she finally dumped him he kept hanging around the house. Then he smashed her car with his. Then he put sugar in the tank. Then he slashed the tyres. This went on for months.

She met me in 2011, and I moved in at Christmas. Just after, someone broke into the garden, where I kept my car, and keyed every panel. Not just lines but child like scrawl. He obviously thought it was her new car. I was mortified. A few weeks later on a rainy night someone smashed our garden gates in with their car, we had a good idea who. Luckily the neighbour opposite saw this, and said she would phone me if he appeared again.

About 3 months later I get in from work and the lady over the road phones me, saying bellend is sitting outside in his car. I go out for a "chat" and baseball bat his window in before he screeches away. In fact he went straight to the local nick to report me...but ended up getting arrested for drink driving! :)

So today our road was cordoned off by Plod, all day. News breaks tonight that a 65 year old man has been stabbed to death while sitting outside a 35 year old womans flat. Yes, it really is that word removed. And they say karma is fictional.

Party at our place tomorrow! Good riddance to a proper vile scumbag. Oh and he rarely washed, and was a small heath fan.:hooray:

Just read about it. It seems the 35 year old woman did it.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just read about it. It seems the 35 year old woman did it.

Yep, no doubt stalking her like he has to others

Â