Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Here's a gif of President of the United States of America, Donald Trump cringing to convey how I'm feeling about your posts;

Jimmy Fallon Cringe GIF

Stop it.  Stop it right now.

Err what!!!

If people can't take a joke,then more fool them! 

For the record, I hate golf. As Mark Twain remarked, it's a good walk spoiled.

Cheers

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Alphabetical music filing, and just filed a track by Will Silver . . . and it went right next to one by Will Gold.

Maybe this should be in the boring thread actually.

Alphabetical filing by first name? What madness is this? 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Absolutely, thats digital for you

Back in the days when I could be arsed, I had all my CDs in an Excel spreadsheet, which had 'artist name' and 'sort key' as separate fields. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Back in the days when I could be arsed, I had all my CDs in an Excel spreadsheet, which had 'artist name' and 'sort key' as separate fields. 

One day, I might get around to similar but my intention is to use it as a learning experience for SQL or similar database type stuff. I was booked in on a course to do some basics then.... pandemic

On the back-burner now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Are you a woman? 

Well, if knowing where my records are without resort to a Rolodex 500 Classic makes me a woman, call me Mari and count me in, yes.

‘I’ve indexed and alphabetised my collection of rebel music’, just doesn’t sound right to me. Though once that’s been done, there’s a series 2000 light diesel locomotive coming through the points at Severn Junction at 15:07 we could go and take photos of it.

You never see women logging all the different types of train. There’s definitely something in this.

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh I have a system.

What I do is, I remember where I’ve put stuff.

Waste of brain space, I reserve that for stuff | need to remember. I also have a shocking short term memory

48 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Oh I have a system.

What I do is, I remember where I’ve put stuff.

How many CDs (LPs, whatever floats your boat) do you have? Assuming it's more than a few hundred, are you seriously telling us that they are stored totally randomly? 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

How many CDs (LPs, whatever floats your boat) do you have? Assuming it's more than a few hundred, are you seriously telling us that they are stored totally randomly? 

Exactly. Some sort of order is necessary, otherwise even for Punk records there'd be Anarchy in the UK. And for the R&B and Soul you'd never be able to find What's Going On. And the Ambient stuff - where is it? Somewhere "In the White Room". I get that you could look for say Grandaddy records in The Last Place you saw them. Where's my Fleet Foxes album, If I don't find it I'll Crack-Up. Is Oasis in there - er, Definitely, Maybe. You need to Document your REM collection.

Just go, like The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads, so I'll stick in T. File Beck's stuff under B - it'll be a Sea Change.

It's what I do, though I am Moron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I wouldn’t have all my Lee Scratch Perry albums out at the same time, I wouldn’t have them all in the same place. I’ve got 8 or 9 of the Alabama 3 albums spread around the place not together, there are a couple I’ve never bought. I will not batch, I am not a completist, I don’t work in genres.

I genuinely have no idea how many I have, it’s not excessive, but I’ve genuinely never catalogued, listed or alphabetised them. I would have guessed ‘hundreds’ but a quick tot up of vinyl albums that I currently have ‘out’ directly under the turntable and there are about 300 / 400 or so there. So in reality I guess a few times more than that in various crates with varying degrees of ease of access. I guess you’d get a couple of hundred in a crate? I have a few crates.

The ones currently ‘out’ I’ve put them in order of spine colour, purely because I think that looks nice. But I do also know the spine colour of pretty much all the albums. Selector Dub Narcotic? Oh yes, pink spine so I’ll look over here... Hippo by Sparks? Blue spine that’ll be roughly here... A bit trickier with black spines or white spines but not really a big deal. It’s rare that I need to find an album urgently against the clock and finding a black spine album among about 100 black spine albums isn’t really that exhausting. Anyway, I just stumble across something else and get distracted and play that.

The stuff in crates, that’s a voyage of discovery, I’ve got a rough idea what’s in what crate. I’ll find it if I really want it. But again, I’ve never had a situation where I’ve urgently needed to find The Flaming Lips within the next 120 seconds.

CD’s are an absolute mess at the moment. But then you find stuff you’d forgotten. 

You guys that are organising your collections: What do you do if you’ve got 8 albums by the same band? Do you alphabetise the titles? Or let your hair down, go a bit crazy and not bother? If you have ‘various artist’ type albums are you then sub dividing by genre? To me, that all sounds a little bit like admin.. I don’t really do admin as relaxation and enjoyment.

It just looks nicer just sort of loosely organised by colour. I bet if you guys did that, you’d have to organise the colours in some recognised standardised way.

I’ve gone whites / yellows / reds / blacks / greens / blues

Roughly anyway, I’m not pedantic about it.

You show me an organised record collection and I’ll show you a potential serial killer just waiting to be triggered. 

12 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

You guys that are organising your collections: What do you do if you’ve got 8 albums by the same band?

Chronological order. It's not massively tidy, and the WFH "office" stuff has messed it up a bit

IMG_1714.jpg

Â