Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

My boss was trying to get us all to sign up to a seminar that basically looks like a sales pitch for a piece of software, which I really don't want to go to. 

Unfortunately their signup process appears to violate several of the ICO's requirements for adhering to GDPR principles around consent to data processing, so I've had to send them an official complaint, decline the meeting, and reply to all advising we don't sign up to the service. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Xela said:

What prompted the Caterham @Davkaus?

I've wanted one for a couple of years, and I've had enough of my main car which is an mx5. Now that I don't have to commute, I'm not sure I need a car that's in any way sensible so the Mazda will probably go. I'll have to see how unbearable the football, gigs, and the odd long trip to see family are without a proper car, but I'd want to go electric for that I think.

To be honest though, waterproof coat and trousers that I've seen cyclists wear, and it could be my commute car too :D

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53997900

Five baby gorillas have been born in six weeks in Bwindi National Park, leading the Ugandan Wildlife Service (UWS) to declare a baby boom.
Announcing the latest birth, the UWS said: "The Rushegura gorilla family welcomes another bouncing cute baby gorilla".
Seven babies have been born since January compared to three for the whole of 2019, according to the UWS.
Mountain gorillas are endangered with just over 1,000 in existence.

Having been lucky enough to fulfill one of my life's ambitions and hiked in Virunga National Park (Rwanda) to spend time with Highland Mountain Gorillas - this news makes me very happy :)

I have a theory that Gorillas are actually massively evolved humans that have realized that there is no point running around trying to accumulate 'stuff' and live in cities etc. They just sunbathe all day, tickle and groom each other and have sex. Oh and they're vegan. Sounds pretty evolved to me.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53997900

Having been lucky enough to fulfill one of my life's ambitions and hiked in Virunga National Park (Rwanda) to spend time with Highland Mountain Gorillas - this news makes me very happy :)

I have a theory that Gorillas are actually massively evolved humans that have realized that there is no point running around trying to accumulate 'stuff' and live in cities etc. They just sunbathe all day, tickle and groom each other and have sex. Oh and they're vegan. Sounds pretty evolved to me.

I was anticipating "...and they support Villa."   A bit disappointed, but at least there's room for them to evolve further.

• Haha 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54072508

An 80-year-old hiker who went missing for three days in the Yorkshire Dales has spoken at a press conference arranged in a bid to track him down.
Harry Harvey spent three nights wild camping after becoming separated from a walking group between Gunnerside and Tan Hill, North Yorkshire, on Saturday.
A major search took place including police, the RAF and rescue dogs.
He was spotted by a wildlife photographer on Tuesday morning, who saw him waving at her near Keld.
Mr Harvey was about six miles (10km) from where he was last seen.
He was then taken by Land Rover to the nearby Tan Hill Inn, where he was reunited with family and friends at the press conference.
Speaking to journalists Mr Harvey, from Tynemouth in Tyne and Wear, said: "I just got separated by getting caught in a really heavy hailstorm, a howling gale of wind.
"By the time I got my kit on it was getting really dark, so I missed what I would say was a turning. I had a plan B straight away, find somewhere safe to camp, put my tent up, keep warm, and that was it.
"The biggest problem I had was getting to Tynemouth from Keld, because I only had £21.05 in my pocket."
Mr Harvey said he had "three good nights wild camping".
"The place where we got separated was absolutely desolate, there was no chance of putting a tent up that's for sure, so I had to find somewhere safe, which is what I did."
Mr Harvey said he was never worried as he had "all the kit and all the training", adding he would rather not have the attention which he said was "not my scene at all".
The experienced hiker, who was reported missing on Sunday afternoon, said he could see search teams but did not realise they were looking for him.

What a hero. I bet he just wanted some peace and quiet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-54072508

What a hero. I bet he just wanted some peace and quiet.

So an 80 year-old three nights separated from his group, and when he saw rescue teams he couldn't fathom that they might be looking for him?    Sounds a bit thick to me unless he figures he's such a total bell end that nobody who knows him would want him to be found, which would show remarkable self-awareness for a bell end.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, il_serpente said:

So an 80 year-old three nights separated from his group, and when he saw rescue teams he couldn't fathom that they might be looking for him?    Sounds a bit thick to me unless he figures he's such a total bell end that nobody who knows him would want him to be found, which would show remarkable self-awareness for a bell end.

I thought that.

He'll be in a home within 12 months.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

My take on it was that he knew they were looking for him, but he'd had enough of being locked down and his kids fussing over his health, and his wife nagging him about washing his hands.

Also, I struggle with calling 80-year-olds bell ends for some reason. Although Cliff Richard turns 80 in a few weeks, so I suppose it is possible.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

My take on it was that he knew they were looking for him, but he'd had enough of being locked down and his kids fussing over his health, and his wife nagging him about washing his hands.

Also, I struggle with calling 80-year-olds bell ends for some reason. Although Cliff Richard turns 80 in a few weeks, so I suppose it is possible.

Yes, I suppose my comment came across as a bit callous toward seniors.   You're probably right.  I just took the words at face value when said he didn't realize they were looking for him and found it odd.

Yep I think you’ll find there’s many a bellend in their 80’s.

People in their 80’s that bang on and on about the war, do the maths, they were ten when the **** war ended!

I’ve been told by an 86 year old they were an air raid warden and had to kick incendiary devices off the top of the gasometer. Not bad for someone that was ELEVEN when it ended.

• Like 1

Â