Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

The quality is better, at least for my music. mp3/streaming is OK, but a CD in the player and it's different gravy. I got a fairly decent set up, tbf.

After seeing a tiny bit of your shitty kitchen, I highly doubt it, gravy boy! 

:D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

Apart from the difference being cooking a meal results in a better tasting, fresher dish, whereas listening to vinyl/cassettes or even CDs results in a worse quality sound than a digitally sourced song.

That was a rubbish analogy for you! :P

nothing wrong with collecting, but the quality isn't as good.

Nonsense, the only digital formats that will be a patch on CDs are the lossless ones. Most digital formats are compressed to one degree or another and that results in loss of fidelity. So unless its Apple Lossles, Flac, Og Vorbis etc, what you've said is not remotely true.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Nonsense, the only digital formats that will be a patch on CDs are the lossless ones. Most digital formats are compressed to one degree or another and that results in loss of fidelity. So unless its Apple Lossles, Flac, Og Vorbis etc, what you've said is not remotely true.

"Not remotely true" yet reels off three examples of where it is.

:crylaugh:

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Apart from the difference being cooking a meal results in a better tasting, fresher dish, whereas listening to vinyl/cassettes or even CDs results in a worse quality sound than a digitally sourced song.

That was a rubbish analogy for you! :P

nothing wrong with collecting, but the quality isn't as good.

Come on then, define what you mean by quality.

What format, devices, speakers, room size and soft furnishings would you recommend for quality if I’m listening to The Skatalites?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

"Not remotely true" yet reels off three examples of where it is.

:crylaugh:

This

whereas listening to vinyl/cassettes or even CDs results in a worse quality sound than a digitally sourced song.

is not remotely true, for 99% of people that statement will be incorrect because they will be using MP3 / WAV / Normal streaming. So the absolute vast majority of people will be listening to inferior to CD digital files as they will be lsitening to a compressed format

And I actually reeled off three examples and said it won't be remotely true unless its that type of file. So your criticism of my post really is a 128 kbps bitrate MP3 of a comment :mrgreen:

1 hour ago, bickster said:

All my Talking Heads CDs have DVDs in with Dolby 5.1 surround versions on them. Never played them, never had a surround system. 

Same. Steven Wilson remixes of old prog albums always seem to have them. No use to me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I just click the search button and type in what I want to listen to. Done. 

As Viz said

DON'T waste money on expensive iPods. Simply think of your favourite tune and I hum it. If you want to "switch tracks", simply think of another song you like and hum that instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, bickster said:

My Spotify playlists sound far better than my CDs.

Mainly because my CD player is broken :P 

Edited by Xela
  • Haha 1

Just now, Xela said:

My Spotify playlists sound fa better than my CDs.

Mainly because my CD player is broken :P 

Spotify doesn't do lossless, it almost does but not quite but lossless streaming will kill most peoples mobile data (as do the highend Spotify streams)

Spotify is the new radio (think John Peel show) for me. I use it investigate new (to me) stuff. If I like it enough, I buy the CD(s). Otherwise, it's for my own curated (ugh) playlists for car journeys. 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Spotify is the new radio (think John Peel show) for me. I use it investigate new (to me) stuff. If I like it enough, I buy the CD(s). Otherwise, it's for my own curated (ugh) playlists for car journeys. 

Pretty much how I use it too. If I'm in the house its a discovery tool, If I like I'll buy a physical release. And I use it in the car because tons of cds is a pain in the arse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Come on then, define what you mean by quality.

What format, devices, speakers, room size and soft furnishings would you recommend for quality if I’m listening to The Skatalites?

I don't even like music that much.

I just like saying some stuff.

I hope you enjoy yourself an that.

Our neighbours have had several large trees chopped down. Giving us considerably more afternoon sun in the back garden, and an improved view from the front of the house.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Our neighbours have had several large trees chopped down. Giving us considerably more afternoon sun in the back garden, and an improved view from the front of the house.  :)

You perv. Only joking, that's me.

Nice jobblies though? On her, or him, I'll take whatever I can get.

Probably one for the boring thread, but it pleased me.

I play poker occasionally, maybe once a month. Anyway, I received an email to say that two players on a table I had been playing at have been found to be colluding.

I am to receive a payout in funds as a consequence. Nothing special, but it was encouraging to know that a gambling company didn't just pocket those funds themselves.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

All this talk of organising music has definitely cheered me up, thank you! (Except @chrisp65, seriously how does that work?! I know you have explained but still I couldn’t live like that!). 

And yes as always, the correct order should alphabetical then chronological by band/artist. I don’t use streaming so very happy getting the physical, though if it is a digital only release, I still prefer downloading rather than streaming. 

@mjmooney/ @bickster you on discogs? If you catalog it on there you can actually export your list as an excel spreadsheet which means you don’t have to put in the data. It also has a barcode scanner on the app so you can simply scan and add. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

@mjmooney/ @bickster you on discogs? If you catalog it on there you can actually export your list as an excel spreadsheet which means you don’t have to put in the data. It also has a barcode scanner on the app so you can simply scan and add. 

I am on Discogs but can't be arsed putting everything in. My database thing That I want to do has a slightly different angle for me in that I want to use it to learn something else but will help me with work. Also lots of my collection is pre-barcode anyway

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

I am on Discogs but can't be arsed putting everything in. My database thing That I want to do has a slightly different angle for me in that I want to use it to learn something else but will help me with work. Also lots of my collection is pre-barcode anyway

Pretty much this. Can't be bothered any more. 

Â