Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

8 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I found spotify to be useless and I'd even go as far as to say frustrating, and I'd like to think I'm quite patient and tolerating. Admittedly was using the free version.

Yeah, I’d go along with that.

I had a free Spotify account (from back before they got difficult to obtain for a while). It was ok as a novelty. I think I remember being annoyed by adverts but also, refusing to pay for ‘premium’.

I’ll stick with my PONO, its the future.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyrusr said:

All this talk of organising music has definitely cheered me up, thank you! (Except @chrisp65, seriously how does that work?! I know you have explained but still I couldn’t live like that!). 

the correct order should alphabetical then chronological by band/artist. 

I found this for you, I did not use a spreadsheet, index cards, saved list, promoted link or suggested listening algorithm...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, I’d go along with that.

I had a free Spotify account (from back before they got difficult to obtain for a while). It was ok as a novelty. I think I remember being annoyed by adverts but also, refusing to pay for ‘premium’.

I’ll stick with my PONO, its the future.

It wasn't just adverts for me. YouTube is how I listen to music currently and that comes with 10 seconds of ads for every other video you watch. Can't recall specifically what it was with spotify but it was along the lines of being difficult if not impossible to navigate to specific songs, like I'd have to just select an artist or album and listen to the whole damn thing.

I've had the Spotify premium for a long time - since the days of invites. Think a VT poster sent me my invite. 

Its fairly intuitive. Want to listen to the album, click the album, an individual song, click the song. Want to skip some album tracks, hit the skip buttons! Plus you can create your own playlists or listen to playlists generated for you by Spotify based on your listening habits. I'm not sure what else it needs to do.

I couldn't get on with the free version though as the adverts get in the way. I don't mind them on commercial stations, but not on Spotify when I want to listen to an album 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

It wasn't just adverts for me. YouTube is how I listen to music currently and that comes with 10 seconds of ads for every other video you watch. Can't recall specifically what it was with spotify but it was along the lines of being difficult if not impossible to navigate to specific songs, like I'd have to just select an artist or album and listen to the whole damn thing.

I think it also worked on genres. The problem with algorithms, they’re very often written up by the sort of people who are in to IT. 

I might listen to some Girlschool, then want some funkadelic, then some Mingus. I think it struggled with that, so you’d have to tap in the whole ‘curated’ bloody hour of music. But I don’t know what I want to listen to in 40 minutes time. But I do know it’s not bloody Def Sabbath or a promo for a new Rolling Stones album.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bickster said:

I am on Discogs but can't be arsed putting everything in. My database thing That I want to do has a slightly different angle for me in that I want to use it to learn something else but will help me with work. Also lots of my collection is pre-barcode anyway

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Pretty much this. Can't be bothered any more. 

Fair enough, it agree was a ball ache to put it all on int he first instance, but now takes no time at all to add new stuff and it’s all organised :) 

53 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

That's a limitation of the free version, which I think is fair enough tbh, if you want the world's music at your fingertips, also expecting it for free is perhaps expecting a bit much.

It's probably the best tenner I spend a month.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That's a limitation of the free version, which I think is fair enough tbh, if you want the world's music at your fingertips, also expecting it for free is perhaps expecting a bit much.

It's probably the best tenner I spend a month.

If I came across as insinuating that it was unfair or that I was expecting something for nothing then my mistake, I only meant to say that I didn't find much use for the free service.

I was in the supermarket earlier in the week (my only trips out now!) and I heard the classic Nokia 'beep beep.... beep beep' text message tone. I assumed someone had that as a retro message tone... but the bloke next to me only pulls a Nokia 6310i phone out of his pocket! They're nearly 20 years old. If it wasn't for Covid, i'd have gone over and shook his hand! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, welnik said:

Ah!!! Eliminator. A great album. Do you have Tres Hombres ?

Eliminator was a bit too slick for my liking. Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud FTW. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Eliminator was a bit too slick for my liking. Tres Hombres and Rio Grande Mud FTW. 

I’ll give those other 2 a listen. Bought Eliminator when it came out and somehow managed not to lose it, despite losing most of my other old vinyl

All the talk of ZZ Top has reminded me there’s a cracking documentary on Netflix ‘ZZ Top That Little Ol Band From Texas’ which is well worth checking out.

lot of focus on the early years and the Tres Hombres era, all three come across as decent guys! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

All the talk of ZZ Top has reminded me there’s a cracking documentary on Netflix ‘ZZ Top That Little Ol Band From Texas’ which is well worth checking out.

lot of focus on the early years and the Tres Hombres era, all three come across as decent guys! 

I always liked the fact that the only one without a beard was called Beard. 

• Like 2

Â