Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

48 minutes ago, blandy said:

Chronological order. It's not massively tidy, and the WFH "office" stuff has messed it up a bit

I genuinely couldn’t be arsed to file music by date. Not least, because I couldn’t care less which one came first.

That doesn’t mean it’s wrong, you go for it if it’s what floats your goat.

I could imagine putting them in order of favourite, I just wouldn’t want the rigour of needing to put things back in exactly the same place in case the October release of Best of Beatles ended up in front of the April release with the bonus track.

Don’t get me wrong, document and drawing filing in the office, I’m a monster for people following the correct filing order. If I need a photo of a building from the thousands taken, I need to go straight to it by date, floor, type and subject. That’s work.

Music, I kind of play one record whilst thumbing through the others.

But yeah, there can’t be a right or wrong if it’s what you’re doing for enjoyment.

This has caused me to go out the garage to see if there was any semblance of a sub conscious system going on out there. Absolutely not. I popped the lid of a crate, picked out a wrapped up parcel of about 15 / 20 records with a sticker on the outside that said ‘Soft Cell and stuff’. I ripped it open and I’ve rediscovered a Dexy’s album and a Squire album. Absolute result. The system works.

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I just click the search button and type in what I want to listen to. Done. 

I do a similar sort of thing with microwave meals.

Not as enjoyable as cooking though.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You guys that are organising your collections: What do you do if you’ve got 8 albums by the same band? Do you alphabetise the titles?

Eight albums? I have over 70 by Bob Dylan alone. Anyway, like Blandy says, chronological. Obviously. Not chronological by release date though, as that would produce anomalies like a newly released 'early years' album going at the right hand end of a band's run, when clearly it belongs on the left. Therefore, chronological order of recording, wherever possible. Greatest hits could go at either end, depending on the track listing and what other albums I have by that band. Case by case consideration is required. Various artists compilations have a separate section, but these are grouped by genre, and then rough date, e.g. a 60s folk comp would come before a contemporary folk one. 

Jazz albums have a separate section, but are ordered on the same principles as the pop/rock/etc. section. 

Classical is somewhat different. Alphaebetical order of composer, then grouped by type of composition, e.g. symphonies, then concertos, sonatas, chamber works, etc. 

EDIT: I should add that the pop/rock/etc. collection is so huge that it has had to be split in two halves: a 'frequently played (the missus can tolerate it)' set in the living room, and a 'less frequently played(the missus hates it)' set in my attic man cave/music room/recording studio. Each half is organised on the same principles as outlined above, however. All the remaining LPs left after my big fire sale are also up there, same sort sequence. I must confess that there are a couple of boxes of 45s which are - shamefully - completely unsorted. But I never play them, anyway. 

EDIT 2: The reason for all this is primarily for ease of locating things. But I admit there is also an anorak element. I like to know as much about bands as possible - who the members were, what the history was, where recordings were made, etc. It's part of my pub quiz knowledge acquisition streak. Yet I don't give a stuff about hi fi sound. I get more pleasure from knowing what type of guitar was used and what drugs the singer had taken than I would from appreciating the sound quality. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

What do you do if you’ve got 8 albums by the same band? Do you alphabetise the titles? Or let your hair down, go a bit crazy and not bother? If you have ‘various artist’ type albums are you then sub dividing by genre?

Same band, as lond as they go next to each other, I'm not arsed

Various Artist go in their own section and so far thats it because its less than the width of one cube, so I'll find it. Though I kind of break that with CDs as I have On-U In one section, reggae / world music in another and then its gets more random

That’s great @mjmooney that’s clearly part of it for you.

I’d agree on the sound, I’m perfectly happy for it not to be perfect. Sound quality? The newest bit of kit I’m currently using is second hand 1970’s speakers, £10, Gumtree. I swapped the standard black speaker covers for an elephant print material. I’m listening to a fair bit of quite lo fi recording, I’m not sure there’s any point in being precious about sound quality on an album made in one take in Jamaica in 1967.

Men do have this thing that’s slightly on the spectrum, this lists and collecting and completist thing that going back to the original lol, most women don’t appear to have. Certainly not to the same degree, without wishing to be too sweeping and generalising. 

I just don’t don’t have that. I have never spotted any train. I’m missing albums by my favourite bands. 

I genuinely couldn’t be arsed to file music by date. Not least, because I couldn’t care less which one came first.

That doesn’t mean it’s wrong, you go for it if it’s what floats your goat.

I could imagine putting them in order of favourite, I just wouldn’t want the rigour of needing to put things back in exactly the same place in case the October release of Best of Beatles ended up in front of the April release with the bonus track.

Don’t get me wrong, document and drawing filing in the office, I’m a monster for people following the correct filing order. If I need a photo of a building from the thousands taken, I need to go straight to it by date, floor, type and subject. That’s work.

Music, I kind of play one record whilst thumbing through the others.

But yeah, there can’t be a right or wrong if it’s what you’re doing for enjoyment.

This has caused me to go out the garage to see if there was any semblance of a sub conscious system going on out there. Absolutely not. I popped the lid of a crate, picked out a wrapped up parcel of about 15 / 20 records with a sticker on the outside that said ‘Soft Cell and stuff’. I ripped it open and I’ve rediscovered a Dexy’s album and a Squire album. Absolute result. The system works.

It's not like that. The CDs (and LPs for that matter) are in their alphabetical order. If/when I get a new one, where do I put it - if it is a Luluc CD, then it goes on the end of the other Luluc CDs, (as the most recent) - I mean it's got to go somewhere, and I'll find it easier next time if I go to the shelf with the "L" band CDs and then look at the right hand end, ish.

It's easy*

It's the playing one album thing that makes it work  - I kind of DJ and think, "next maybe...that Stroppies album - now where is that. S, towards the right (or whatever). It's quicker.

I also use the phone or 'puter and stream from there to the Big stereo - I'm doing that now, cus I was only gonna do it for 15 minutes.....an hour and a bit ago, but still. Music. Happy place.

*unless it means something else has to shift to the next shelf, then it's an avalanche effect and I have to move about 8 CDs between shelves.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

unless it means something else has to shift to the next shelf, then it's an avalanche effect and I have to move about 8 CDs between shelves.

Oh god, that. Yes. 

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Various Artist go in their own section

Mine (VA albums) are all in box upstairs, somewhere.

I've got one CD "A Lifetime Or More [EP]" which is a split between tow artists. I dunno where I've put it though! On AIr Library! (half of SVIIB) and the Album Leaf, I think it was. I think it might be worth a bit, too.

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I hope you’ve left expansion space in F for **** that.

Yeah. They just go on top of all the other CDs on that bit of the shelf, until I can be arsed.

Then there's box sets, especially those in nonstandard sizes. Have to be shelved separately. Grrr. 

Note the sequence of those Dylan boxes. They are the "Bootleg Series" (left to right) Vol 12, Vol 11, Vol 10, Vol 14, Vol 13. But arranged by the eras in which they were recorded, between 1965 and 1981. 

IMG_20200828_185245.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Then there's box sets, especially those in nonstandard sizes. Have to be shelved separately. Grrr. 

I have a few albums which came in books - Throwing Muses and Kristin Hirsch mainly - I mean, it's nice n'all, but they don't fit. And then you get CDs with DVD also in there. So where do they go?

• Like 1

I do a similar sort of thing with microwave meals.

Not as enjoyable as cooking though.

Apart from the difference being cooking a meal results in a better tasting, fresher dish, whereas listening to vinyl/cassettes or even CDs results in a worse quality sound than a digitally sourced song.

That was a rubbish analogy for you! :P

nothing wrong with collecting, but the quality isn't as good.

• Like 1

Just now, blandy said:

I have a few albums which came in books - Throwing Muses and Kristin Hirsch mainly - I mean, it's nice n'all, but they don't fit. And then you get CDs with DVD also in there. So where do they go?

I've got a few book ones too. SIgur Ros Ltd Edition book thingy which is MASSIVE and a few others. Pain in the Arse now as I've got CDs in the Books!

All my Talking Heads CDs have DVDs in with Dolby 5.1 surround versions on them. Never played them, never had a surround system. There's probably a few others too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Apart from the difference being cooking a meal results in a better tasting, fresher dish, whereas listening to vinyl/cassettes or even CDs results in a worse quality sound than a digitally sourced song.

That was a rubbish analogy for you! :P

nothing wrong with collecting, but the quality isn't as good.

The quality is better, at least for my music. mp3/streaming is OK, but a CD in the player and it's different gravy. I got a fairly decent set up, tbf.

Â