Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

On 29/07/2023 at 21:49, trekka said:

I'm up in Brum from Monday for the week and a good mate of mine has decided to throw a BBQ for me at his house.  At one point he was threatening to order a whole butchered cow.  It turns out that he has been creative and said he has like 10 different small plates for us all to nibble through the evening, almost like a tasting menu with different sauces (fish, chicken, pork, beef and lots of different salads etc).   I asked what beers would he like me to bring over and he said "no need! I've bought loads!", but then went on to say bring whatever you fancy.  He's a good egg that one - it'll only be me, his girlfriend and him for the night.  It'll be my birthday and he's obviously spent a fortune on stuff.  When he said bring whatever you fancy, I said don't tempt me.

Hire a really high class hooker and say it’s your wife

• Haha 2

I have a new pressure sprayer. 

When you build up the pressure it makes than penny whistle noise that you hear in the Carry On films when a lady's skirt drops down.  

When you release the pressure it sounds like air brakes on a train.  

Hours of fun.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

New mattress. Basically just counting down to bedtime now.

It'll take you at least two weeks to acclimatise unless you're the very lucky type that can sleep anywhere without problems.

• Like 2

Just now, rjw63 said:

It'll take you at least two weeks to acclimatise unless you're the very lucky type that can sleep anywhere without problems.

I've been waking up crippled across my upper back (under shoulder blades) in the middle of the night for the past 2 months on my basically-collapsed other mattress.  So I'd expect to see an immediate improvement over that :D

I have gone to a fully orthopaedic mattress though, so there'll definitely be acclimatisation involved. I can't bloody wait for it though :D  I tend to count down to bedtime most evenings anyway.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve had some house admin to sort today.

Needed a cable extended and a new modem box thing from Virgin Media. Booked in for a.m..

Had a British Gas boiler service booked.

Had a new Hive Hub delivered so needed to dick about with that, which would only be possible if the internet was working, and would bugger up the boiler service if it wasn’t connected.

It’s all worked, Media guy turned up on time and the re route was started and finished in under 30 mins. Swapped out the old hub and got the new Hive Hub talking to all the other kit. British Gas turned up and serviced the boiler.

Unprecedented.

You do realise the will be an equal and opposite reaction to this. It was nice knowing you

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

You do realise the will be an equal and opposite reaction to this. It was nice knowing you

Gavin and Stacey one off Hanukkah special right outside his house.

10ft polystyrene menorah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Hopefully its been the other way around and this was the counter to my **** up leg.

Pulled something in my calf on Saturday, hurt like a bugger on Sunday and still went back for day 2 of GlastonBarry. So it was killing on Monday, but I had to help with a flat move in Cardiff, so I powered through, Tuesday couldn’t wriggle my foot but had to help with a house move in Swansea, so, er, painkillered up and went again. This has been an error, absolutely killing now.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve had some house admin to sort today.

Needed a cable extended and a new modem box thing from Virgin Media. Booked in for a.m..

Had a British Gas boiler service booked.

Had a new Hive Hub delivered so needed to dick about with that, which would only be possible if the internet was working, and would bugger up the boiler service if it wasn’t connected.

It’s all worked, Media guy turned up on time and the re route was started and finished in under 30 mins. Swapped out the old hub and got the new Hive Hub talking to all the other kit. British Gas turned up and serviced the boiler.

Unprecedented.

I’ve moaned about my VM a few times and tried a few different things to get a nice even coverage across the house. Booster, sockets, routers, all not quite right.

I got the hub 5 which did improve things but was still a bit ropey. The problem was that both of the pre-wired VM entry points were in the same corner of the house (one upstairs, 1 down). 

I ended up running a cat6 cable into the corner of the bay window, up into the loft, across the house and down into the hot water cupboard that was right in the middle of the house.

Its been absolutely perfect ever since. It’s actually better than perfect, I get 370-390Mbs all over the house from a 350Mbs connection.

Conclusion, the modem is great if located in the middle of the house.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â