Paddy's "Things that cheer you up"

rjw63

A nothing much to do morning. No agenda, no to do list.

Got up, a slow read of the internet, in to town for a slow walk through the park, in to the market to top up my spices, a mooch around a book shop, coffee and a pastry, a chat with a local busker / personality (Ninja) about drums and drumsticks and putting the world to rights. First time I’ve ever said more than just a ‘hi!’ to him and you know what, turns out he has lots of good ideas on getting people thinking about community. Then a rarity, around to Spillers with both of us going in the shop. Ash and my other half got on like a house on fire taking the piss out of me and exactly how often I go in the shop (Mrs: most weeks / Ash: haven’t seen him for months hardly recognised him / Ade: the stuff you’ve ordered has been delayed / Me: shut up Ade!).

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

A nothing much to do morning. No agenda, no to do list.

Got up, a slow read of the internet, in to town for a slow walk through the park, in to the market to top up my spices, a mooch around a book shop, coffee and a pastry, a chat with a local busker / personality (Ninja) about drums and drumsticks and putting the world to rights. First time I’ve ever said more than just a ‘hi!’ to him and you know what, turns out he has lots of good ideas on getting people thinking about community. Then a rarity, around to Spillers with both of us going in the shop. Ash and my other half got on like a house on fire taking the piss out of me and exactly how often I go in the shop (Mrs: most weeks / Ash: haven’t seen him for months hardly recognised him / Ade: the stuff you’ve ordered has been delayed / Me: shut up Ade!).

Tip: Just nipping into town. I’ve just got to pickup A RECORD I ordered, won’t be long. Honestly, it works a treat, just picking up something you’ve ordered is far less concerning than, I'm going record shopping because to them it doesn’t sound like you will bankrupt the family for the week

• Like 1

Wild water swimming - or as I really call it, jumping in the river. Obviously up here i the hills there are plenty of lovely spots, some we have been using since our schooldays, some appear in guide books and some a bit further afield that are a little bit mystical and mythical until you actually visit that remain mostly local knowledge. Today I drove up into the real wilderness to a spot I'd never been to before that a few different friends have often recommended. bit of a pool and then swimming upstream between sheer rock faces for a few yards until you reach the bottom of a little waterfall. Will definitely be heading back up there at some point with my gopro because you can swim right up under the waterfall. the rock around it and all the way up the crevace is sooo smooth obviously after the years of constant erosion but it was gorgeous and more than a bit magical.

Lots of dragonflies too today although obviously my face has been at surface level for most of the afternoon which might explain seeing more than usual. Maybe they were mayflies  I'm a bit hazy on insect life tbh but red, purple, blue ones etc

But finding a new favourite swimming spot has put a big smile on my face

Edited by VILLAMARV
editing
  • Like 4

On 10/06/2023 at 16:53, VILLAMARV said:

Wild water swimming - or as I really call it, jumping in the river. Obviously up here i the hills there are plenty of lovely spots, some we have been using since our schooldays, some appear in guide books and some a bit further afield that are a little bit mystical and mythical until you actually visit that remain mostly local knowledge. Today I drove up into the real wilderness to a spot I'd never been to before that a few different friends have often recommended. bit of a pool and then swimming upstream between sheer rock faces for a few yards until you reach the bottom of a little waterfall. Will definitely be heading back up there at some point with my gopro because you can swim right up under the waterfall. the rock around it and all the way up the crevace is sooo smooth obviously after the years of constant erosion but it was gorgeous and more than a bit magical.

Lots of dragonflies too today although obviously my face has been at surface level for most of the afternoon which might explain seeing more than usual. Maybe they were mayflies  I'm a bit hazy on insect life tbh but red, purple, blue ones etc

But finding a new favourite swimming spot has put a big smile on my face

Reminds me of my summer holidays as a kid and me and my mates would co camping and swimming in the river, streams and waterfalls around Ystradfellta. Stay up there all week sometimes, the farmers didn’t care, our parents didn’t seem concerned, the sheep were amused and SAS soldiers were lost

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Reminds me of my summer holidays as a kid and me and my mates would co camping and swimming in the river, streams and waterfalls around Ystradfellta. Stay up there all week sometimes, the farmers didn’t care, our parents didn’t seem concerned, the sheep were amused and SAS soldiers were lost

Sounds like a shit sequel to “One Summer “ :) 

• Like 1

Not quite as spectacular or large as some of the falls over by there -

th?id=OIP.e6wy6WJxd1evIL31-FORwQHaFj%26p

but you remind me now you say but the four falls walk is very much on the to do list with MrsVM - this weekend we were up a bit in the valleys off the Drygarn. It's still not uncommon to find lost SAS souls around the Beacons. The other side of the beacons the MOD own a big bit of the hills north of Brecon - any VTers sent to training in Brecon over the years will have been up there. The mountain road over the top runs through the live firing range so you have to look out for the flags. I think they closed the old walled barracks in the centre of Brecon IIRC but I'm sure the base is very much operational. We used to sit up as teenagers on the tops of the hills and watch the tracer rounds and parachute flares from miles away on clear nights. There are some particularly stunning picture postcard views down the valleys on that road though. Turns out it's a lovely bit of the world when the rain stops :)

• Like 2

Although I'm not on commission from the Welsh Tourist Board so I should really have just gone with this really

82fb42cc4ead1cfd91ff0ef3df8700db.jpg&f=1

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Not quite as spectacular or large as some of the falls over by there -

th?id=OIP.e6wy6WJxd1evIL31-FORwQHaFj%26p

but you remind me now you say but the four falls walk is very much on the to do list with MrsVM - this weekend we were up a bit in the valleys off the Drygarn. It's still not uncommon to find lost SAS souls around the Beacons. The other side of the beacons the MOD own a big bit of the hills north of Brecon - any VTers sent to training in Brecon over the years will have been up there. The mountain road over the top runs through the live firing range so you have to look out for the flags. I think they closed the old walled barracks in the centre of Brecon IIRC but I'm sure the base is very much operational. We used to sit up as teenagers on the tops of the hills and watch the tracer rounds and parachute flares from miles away on clear nights. There are some particularly stunning picture postcard views down the valleys on that road though. Turns out it's a lovely bit of the world when the rain stops :)

Yeah, Sennybridge Camp is still very much there, in the news not so long ago for the wrong reasons

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Trecco bay bound for the weekend 

Hope you have a nice w/e ruge. Weather looks ok down there. I like Porthcawl, I used to visit it a few times a year when I was in Cardiff. I love Newton Beach. used to take my kite down there and walk back towards ogmore and all the dunes around the ruins of Kenfig Castle.

Hmmm, not so sure on the weekend weather, might be a bit duller than we’ve all got used to.

But the sea down there should be excellent. It’s currently calm and crystal clear as far east as my place, I genuinely don’t think I’ve seen it that calm and settled and clear before. 

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Trecco bay bound for the weekend 

Ah the memories of Coney Island, faggots from the butchers and the smell of old people, it's all coming back to me.... (enjoy!)

(Oh and cheap records in the Woolworths because punk never really hit Portcawl :D )

Went for breakfast in Lichfield this morning, and then a walk around the city. It was busy. Loads of independent cafes/delis were buzzing and people sitting outside, enjoying the weather. Was good to see!

A lot of towns/high streets are struggling, like Sutton town centre, so its nice to see a place that is vibrant. I think a lot of ex Sutton residents have moved to Lichfield in recent years. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Went for breakfast in Lichfield this morning, and then a walk around the city. It was busy. Loads of independent cafes/delis were buzzing and people sitting outside, enjoying the weather. Was good to see!

A lot of towns/high streets are struggling, like Sutton town centre, so its nice to see a place that is vibrant. I think a lot of ex Sutton residents have moved to Lichfield in recent years. 

I really can't work out what's happened to Sutton. 

It should be absolutely ripe for posh delis and, craft breweries and other such stuff. 

Of all the places to struggle I would have had Sutton a long way away from my list. Should be similar to Solihull which is thriving. 

Too many fogies? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Xela said:

Tamworth town centre is dead now, but the reason is quite clear (Ventura retail park). 

They are relocating the college into the town centre but I’m not sure students are really going to revive the high street. 

• Like 1

Hitchin beer festival today. My local one in the East End happens in November in a big, freezing hall. The Hitchin one is at the rugby club, outside on the grass. In the sun. 

And I saw ABBA Voyage last night as a late birthday present. Very, very good. Amazing visuals and sound quality. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Hitchin beer festival today. My local one in the East End happens in November in a big, freezing hall. The Hitchin one is at the rugby club, outside on the grass. In the sun. 

And I saw ABBA Voyage last night as a late birthday present. Very, very good. Amazing visuals and sound quality. 

I keep putting off buying a ticket for that, I am due to spend a week in London for work, it would be foolish not to get a ticket for then.

Â