Ciaran Clark

TheSufferingVilla

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id rather give Clark a run of games than let that fat liability have a jog in a villa shirt again.

Agreed. Dunne seems to have got this reputation as a good experienced defender while he's been out (this happens a lot when players are injured/not pick for a long time) when in reality he's pretty poor and way past it.

Agreed. Dunne seems to have got this reputation as a good experienced defender while he's been out (this happens a lot when players are injured/not pick for a long time) when in reality he's pretty poor and way past it.

Really - I thought his return to the team last season was key in saving us from relegation. I'm not convinced by Clark - we always seem to leak goals when he is CB. An area to look at in the Jan window IMO

Hernandez wasn't in the box though! Clark had THREE chances to get a tackle in he but failed to do so. Watch the replay and if you've got a football brain you'll see what I mean. His positioning was poor in the first place! I've been saying for ages that I'm not a big fan of his. Vlaar definitely needs an experienced partner to be signed in January. I'm not a fan of Dunne either but I wouldn't mind seeing how he'd play alongside Vlaar.

I like Clark and think he's a very good defender in the making, but I too thought that he probably could've tackled Hernandez before he took the shot. Problem is that even outside the penalty area there would've been a big risk to take as he would probably been sent off if he missed or if Hernandez had taken a chance to dive. I can understand that he hesitated. But his positioning wasn't that poor. Had Stevens been a yard or two higher up it would've been offside. But I don't wanna blame Stevens either, really, inexperienced and full debut and all that.

I like Clark and think he's a very good defender in the making, but I too thought that he probably could've tackled Hernandez before he took the shot. Problem is that even outside the penalty area there would've been a big risk to take as he would probably been sent off if he missed or if Hernandez had taken a chance to dive. I can understand that he hesitated. But his positioning wasn't that poor. Had Stevens been a yard or two higher up it would've been offside. But I don't wanna blame Stevens either, really, inexperienced and full debut and all that.

The whisper from the academy a few seasons back was that Clark was really something special - someone who would do much more than hold his own in the prem, he was expected to star in it - I know a couple of the big clubs were intersted in him during houlliers time. In his first few games he looked a little raw - but I was very impressed with his composure. But now 3 years on he seems not to have developed at all - he still looks like a players with a lot to learn - but the learning isn't happening. He seems to make the same errors each week.

Not for me now TBH. Pretty sure Lambo will be purchasing a new CB before the start of next season at the very latest.

I think he's improving. Improved a lot, actually. But sure, maybe he should've been better now than he is, but I partially blame that on the fact that this is the first season where he's regularly played as a CD instead of a CM.

It's hard to say he hasn't kicked on in the last couple of years as he's mostly been played in midfield rather than in the centre of defence. If Lambert thinks the potential is there and that it'll only be reached by him playing that position and gaining experience then that's what needs to happen.

Chris Smalling has been talked about as a future England regular and he's still got a lot to learn too.

Hes often been compared to Liam Ridgewell - which I think is fair comparison - At this stage that being kind - he is no better no ridgewell. Although Lambert has given him his chance at CB - I don't see Lambert being overly patient with him - at the very least he will soon have competition for that CB spot IMO.

generally i think he's a very good prospect, on the hernandez goal...

hernandez was a lucker little bugger in the fact that his miscontrol bounced kindly off his other leg and took the ball to the far side of his body with respect to clark, if he'd have gone for the ball he had to go through the player at that point. he could have gone to ground though and blocked the shot maybe, plus if guzan hadn't come he could have probably saved it.

still though, i reckon it was more luck on hernandez's part that it all just turned out perfect when with his first touch it could have gone anywhere. stevens didn't step up in time and when he did he was wrong footed, the pass from scholes was class too. so can't really pin the blame on clark imo.

discussion on the manure game is getting boring now as its almost in every thread

with every game, theres so many ifs buts maybes, and almost every player can be blamed somehow

manure dive and cheat to get a win, that there is no fault to our lads, and i think manure will be using those tactics until fergusons dying day, and even then they might carry on out of respect

like ciaran and think he's an intelligent footballer and a natural leader on the pitch... if he stays at the villa, i think he'll develop into an absolutely key player in time for us...

i also think that he will keep dunne out of the team when fit and that this run of games is doing him the world of good...

like ciaran and think he's an intelligent footballer and a natural leader on the pitch... if he stays at the villa, i think he'll develop into an absolutely key player in time for us...

i also think that he will keep dunne out of the team when fit and that this run of games is doing him the world of good...

2 Questions:-

1.Is he good enough now ?

2.If not how long would you persist, before you think 'actually he might not ever be good enough - we need a new CB'

Does anyone on here think he could do a job at LB?

No, definitely not in this system.

PL asks a lot of his fullbacks and Clark doesn't have the pace/technique/attacking skills to play there. Clark is turning into a decent CB and at a push could play CDM but I really can't see him as a LB.

Â